With Swords, Claws, and Teeth Bared

"No mistake at all," gloats the Lesser Satan of the Narnian world. "Your Jadis will HERSELF soon be dead, and joining you down here. I'm always glad to meet new neighbors; it allows me for awhile to get my mind off MY OWN inevitable punishment in the justice of the Emperor-Over-Sea...."

It finally dawns on Margrazk that not only is eternity going to be VERY unpleasant for him, but that his own actions have brought him to this fate. He wails with despair, not out of any kind of genuine repentance for the many evil deeds he has done, but out of selfish self-pity. However, he cannot believe Tash's statement that Jadis is going to be defeated. After all, her army is superior in numbers to that of her enemies, and he himself saw Aslan die, so there will be no help for the Queen's enemies from the Lion. Meanwhile, in Narnia, the battle rages.

The Satyr Exeter inspires the other Satyrs to greater efforts. Hastily forming up in a squad, though differing in their equipment, they launch a concerted attack on one of the Evil Giants. Two of the Satyrs are crushed to death, but the others, concentrating on one target, succeed in slashing open one heavy boot, so they can get at the tendon and sever it. The startled Giant falls to the ground.

This Giant happens to be the same Giant who had been holding the young female Griffin captive earlier. This Griffin dives in and helps the Satyrs to finish him off. But a moment later, seeing good guys achieving such an alarming success, Jadis shoots her wand-beam at maximum range (which isn't very far, or Peter's whole army would already be statues by now) and petrifies Exeter and his companions.

Meanwhile, Aslan has liberated every statue in and around the White Witch's castle, and everyone has surged into the courtyard, with its high walls and solid gates, securely locked. Amongst them is a giant, the restoration of whom rather alarmed Susan and her sister. Someone, possibly Mr Tumnus, asks, "But how are we going to get out?"

With the petrification of Exeter and his companions, the battle swings further in favour of Jadis and her supporters. A number of attempts are made by brave Narnians loyal to Aslan to take on Jadis herself: three large ogres cut down some of these with great ease, whilst the remainder are transformed into further statues. Seeing what is happening, and realising the likely outcome, Edmund bravely fights his way through the press, and after desperate battles eventually slays the three ogres. He finds himself next to Jadis but, instead of attacking her directly, brings his sword down onto her wand taking the witch completely by surprise. The wand shatters with a flash and a cloud of smoke. Jadis's expression is one of disbelief, followed by a mixture of anger and hatred. Before she can react Zamron with a great bellow hurls a spear at Edmund, with all his force, running the boy through: Edmund falls to the ground writhing in agony. Although still alive, Edmund has been mortally wounded. A loud cheer erupts from those Jadisites who have witnessed this event, whilst those loyal to Aslan are horrified.

O.O.C: Although most film versions have Jadis herself wound Edmund, in the book it does not state who or whar did so, therefore I have taken the liberty of having Zamron carry out the evil deed. If anyone is unhappy with this, I am quite willing to alter this.

Last edited:
OOC -- Perfectly reasonable. So is the following:

Just as Zamron is about to make sure Edmund is dead, he suffers the distraction of a sudden painful flesh wound from an arrow. This arrow is shot by an armed Nymph, who appears to be the player character Farynn, annoyed at being abandoned by her player.

OOC: Sorry backtracking slightly for Marius. I sat down to work on a post today, but RL called me away.

Of course the children's eyes turned to follow the lion; but the sight they saw was so wonderful that they soon forgot about him. Everywhere the statues were coming to life.

The courtyard looked no longer like a museum; it looked more like a zoo. Creatures were running after Aslan and dancing round him till he was almost hidden in the crowd.

Instead of all that deadly white the courtyard was now a blaze of colors; glossy chestnut sides of centaurs, indigo horns of unicorns, dazzling plumage of birds, reddy-brown of foxes, dogs and satyrs, yellow stockings and crimson hoods of dwarfs; and the birch-girls in silver, and the beech- girls in fresh, transparent green, and the larch-girls in green so bright that it was almost yellow.

100 years? It is hard to take in. What has become of his friends, of his Family, of his sons? But somehow despite it all, he finds himself draw into the crowd that is following and crowding around Aslan. This is a kind of jubilation in the air, the jubilation of freedom. He wonders if there is a battle to joined in soon.

----
The Giant at Aslan's command breaks down the door.

Last edited:
As Rumblebuffin clears away the rubble, Aslan turns toward Marius.

"Worthy Centaur, I remember well how you honored My name even when it looked as if I had vanished from the universe. Behold these two Daughters of Eve who accompany Me; their presence is a sign of coming victory. As for your wife, she now dwells in the realm of the Emperor-Over-Sea, and from there she can see you right now and rejoice in your liberation. You and she will be reunited one day; but at this moment, your children need your assistance. For they are in My main army, which is engaged in battle against the false queen."

Aslan claps his paws together and calls for silence. "Our day's work is not yet over," He says. "If the White Witch is to be defeated once and for all, we must find the battle at once."
"And join in, I hope, Sir!" adds the largest centaur present.
"Of course," says Aslan. "Now, those who cannot keep up, children, dwarves, and small animals, must ride on the backs of those who can, lions, centaurs, unicorns, horses, giants and eagles. Those with good noses must come in front and smell out where the battle is."
When all was ready, achieved with a great deal of bustle and cheering, and help from a large sheep-dog in particular, they set off through the gap in the castle wall, created by the giant whose name was Rumblebuffin.

Peter is absolutely delighted when Edmund destroys the White Witch's wand, but his joy instantly turns to horror a split second later when Zamron throws his spear, critically wounding his brother. Although Peter knows basic first aid, he is not in any sense medically qualified. In any case, Peter can tell at a glance that it is only a matter of time, and that Edmund is beyond any mortal help. He rushes over, not even noticing when the minotaur himself is hit by an arrow.
Zamron himself swears loudly upon being wounded. However, he quickly removes the arrow and raised his own bow with a view to killing Farynn but she is now out of range. He notices Peter rushing over but before he can confront him, Jadis indicated that she wished to deal with the boy personally. As she no longer has a wand, the Queen draws her stone knife, the very one she used to kill Aslan. At first, Peter feels that now she no longer has her wand, he and his supporters may stand a very slight chance of survival in the short term, but little else as they had suffered so many casualties. Confronting Jadis, however, he very soon discovers that she is far more than just a powerful witch; she is also very skilled at hand-to-hand combat and he has his work cut out simply to stay alive. Zamron meanwhile rejoins the fight.

Last edited:
It can be very reasonably supposed that Mia the Newfoundland Hound and Korkoa the Leopard are putting some hurts on those bad guys within their reach -- even on Werewolves, because Aslan REFUSES to permit Werewolves in the Narnian world to be immune to normal physical attack. But Mia and Korkoa are not near enough to Peter to be of use to him.

O.O.C: It is also reasonable to assume that the wolf Ashraf, the Lieutenant in the Secret Police, is causing similar problems for Peter and those following Aslan.

Jadis, continuing to force Peter back, taunts the boy. "Well, little prince, did you really think that I'd simply hand over my throne? Are you foolish enough to think that you can defeat me? You and the traitors following you are finished! Don't expect any help from Aslan, because he is dead! I killed him with this very knife which will soon end your life! Your insolent brat of a brother is dying, and soon you will join him! You will NEVER be king of Narnia! So much for your precious 'prophecies'!" Ha ha ha!"

Zamron, Drifter and the other Jadisites continue to gain the upper hand in the battle.

Further north, a great hound picks up the scent of the battle and bays loudly.

Last edited:
O.O.C: It is also reasonable to assume that the wolf Ashraf, the Lieutenant in the Secret Police, is causing similar problems for Peter and those following Aslan.

Jadis, continuing to force Peter back, taunts the boy. "Well, little prince, did you really think that I'd simply hand over my throne? Are you foolish enough to think that you can defeat me? You and the traitors following you are finished! Don't expect any help from Aslan, because he is dead! I killed him with this very knife which will soon end your life! Your insolent brat of a brother is dying brother is dying, and soon you will join him! You will NEVER be king of Narnia! So much for your precious 'prophecies'!" Ha ha ha!"

Zamron, Drifter and the other Jadisites continue to gain the upper hand in the battle.

Further north, a great hound picks up the scent of the battle and bays loudly.
Here Here. Jadis did say all those things, but she did go into his camp unarmed why>

O-O-C: On Jadis' earlier visit to Aslan's camp, she knew Aslan would not kill her, because if He killed her to protect Edmund from dying as a traitor, then Narnia would be destroyed. It is one of Mister Lewis' greatest weaknesses in writing that he NEVER DID sufficiently explain HOW Jadis came to have this privilege of being the executioner of traitors, but it is a "fact" in the story that Aslan HAD TO let Jadis live until after He had "disarmed" the death-to-traitors rule.

Here Here. Jadis did say all those things, but she did go into his camp unarmed why>

Jadis was perfectly safe from harm in going alone and unarmed into Aslan's camp since Aslan had granted her safe conduct to do so, and, He would NEVER deliberately break a promise He had willingly made, even to someone as totally evil as Jadis.

However, if Jadis had refused Aslan's offer and insisted on the death of Edmund, as was her right, I don't see how Aslan would have been able to save him. Fortunately, Jadis was not only evil enough to willingly kill an innocent person, in this case an actual God, but was proud enough and vain enough to believe she could succeed in committing such a foul deed.

Last edited:
Although Peter is quite aware that Jadis is wholly evil, and has absolutely no qualms about telling lies, somehow he knows that the witch is speaking the truth about the death of Aslan (as far as she knows it). This knowledge, and the critical state of his brother, leaves him feeling utterly sick to the pit of his stomach. Nevertheless, Aslan has given him a task, and as overwhelming as that task now seems to be, nevertheless Peter strives to rally his troops, not to mention try and prevent Jadis from killing him. Now that the White Witch no longer has her magic wand, no more of his forces can be petrified but, as they have lost so many only one outcome is likely. Moreover, despite
Peter's resolve, Jadis is clearly a superb fighter, far superior to Peter, and it is only going to be a matter of time before she penetrates his defence and slays him. Nevertheless, Peter continues to battle the witch to the full extent of his capabilities, although he is rapidly tiring and finding it harder amnd harder to maintain his guard.

Aslan, Susan Lucy and Aslan's reinforcements continue to follow the hunting animals in order to find the location of the battle for Narnia. As they come to the end of a narrow, winding valley, Lucy hears above the din the sound of shouts, shrieks and the clash of metal against metal. As soon as they come out of the valley she sees the cause. Peter and the rest of Aslan's army are fighting desperately against the vile creatures she and Susan had seen last night at the Stone Table; in daylight they appear even more evil-looking than ever and there are far more of them than those fighting for Aslan. Peter's army, who have their backs towards her, look terribly few, and there are also many statues all over the battlefield. She spots the White Witch, not using her wand at present, but fighting Peter with her stone knife, both going at it so hard that Lucy can barely make out what is happening. On each side of them the line stretches out. Horrible things are happening wherever she looks; and where is Edmund?

Meanwhile, the Crown Prince of Archenland, Prince Lune, who in a few years will become the KING Lune seen in "The Horse and His Boy," is leading a strong force northward -- an army mostly of humans, but including Narnian creatures whose grandparents had escaped to Archenland when it was discovered that Jadis was not able to extend her control that far. Flakefeather the Bluejay, flying ahead, helps them to find the safest paths to get through the intervening mountains, where melting glaciers create many hazards. These reinforcements are not destined to reach the battlefield in time to help King Peter's army against Jadis, but they WILL end up helping to reconstruct Narnia after the White Witch gets what's coming to her.

"Off my back, children!" orders Aslan. Then, Aslan gives a great roar that shakes the whole land of Narnia from the western lamp post to the shores of the eastern sea. Jadis, hearing this looks up and sees Aslan bounding towards her, followed by all those whom she had turned to stone at her palace. Supremely confident of victory up until now, the White Witch's expression instantly changes to sheer amazement followed immediately by abject terror, upon seeing and hearing the Lion. "No!" she screams, "This is impossible! Aslan is dead! I killed him with this very knife!" Her minions are equally stunned and horrified, especially Zamron, Ginarrbrik and others who had been foremost in abusing Aslan the previous evening on the Stone Table. Peter and those who are left in his army, on the other hand, are full of joy not only by the sight of the reinforcements hurrying to their aid, in the nick of time, but even more so by the presence of Aslan.

Marius (though He would like to very much) senses that the Witch is to be left to Aslan. He follows Aslan in the charge, with with his own battle roar, managing to save one of his sons and a faun, just in time.

Marius (though He would like to very much) senses that the Witch is to be left to Aslan. He follows Aslan in the charge, with with his own battle roar, managing to save one of his sons and a faun, just in time.

Clutching at the straw of one last forlorn hope, Jadis redoubles her assault on Peter, trying to believe that if even one of the Human children dies before Aslan can reach her, Aslan will somehow become unable to kill her. But Peter doesn't need to kill Jadis now; it is enough if he can just hold off her attacks a little longer, until the Great Lion is upon her.

Jadis simply cannot understand how Aslan can be alive, but it occurs to the witch that Edmund will not survive Zamron's spear thrust, so whatever happens, at least one of the sons of Adam will be dead: and for the prophecy to come to pass, it is clearly stated that all four thrones at Cair Paravel must be filled. However, she redoubles her assault on Peter.

Back