Sarah McFlair, Srib

View Poll Results: On a scale from 1-10, how do you like the story so far?

• 9-10 This is a really great fanfic story! I can't wait for the next chapter!

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • 7-8 It's pretty good, but could be better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-6 It's alright. I've read better.

• 3-4 It's nothing special.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 1-2 It's a horrible story.

• Total voters
I'm on a roll! I'm writing Chapter 19 right now. Handwritten, I'm up to page 104, and that's not including some later chapters I wrote a while ago! I'm typing them up as fast as I can, so I can have them all ready to be put out on time.
So...
it's tuesday, which means the title of the next chapter will be announced-

Chapter 6:

Holiday Happenings

ok, i know it's not the most exciting chapter title ever, but I really like one of the scenes in it.

Hey everyone! I'm sorry for this being late, but yesterday was really crazy for me, and I thought I would have time to post this, but other things came up. I would like to say that Friday, August 22, 2008, after having the story in my head for 9 years, I finally finished Harry Potter and the American Invasion. I also have it all typed up, so that will help me to get everything posted on time. My other announcement is that I now have an editor, and I would like to thank her for her work and help.

I haven't been getting any reviews, but I can see by my Reader Traffic that people from many different countries around the world are at least looking at this story. Just because I have an editor doesn't mean I still won't have any mistakes, and I would still like to know how everyone likes this.

Enjoy

----------------

Chapter 6: Holiday Happenings

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” Sarah said to Ginny and Luna. “Sure, I’m happy Hogwarts decided to have a last day of Fall Term ball like we do back home, but-”

“You went to them there, didn’t you?” Ginny asked. The three had decided to go as a group, and were now headed to the Great Hall.

“Yes, but-”

“Oh it’ll be fun. Just relax. Last year’s Yule ball was fun. Did you go Luna?”

“I was too young and I had no one to ask me,” Luna replied, gazing out the frost-covered windows as they passed.

“Yeah, well, you don’t risk going with a jerk if you go, or people you thought were your friends,” Sarah said angrily.

“At least you had friends at the time though.” Luna turned and looked at Sarah, who grew quiet.

“Sarah, we understand they all hurt you, but you still have Liz, Rose, and Maggie back home, and we’re here,” said Ginny. “Please try to have fun, for our sakes.”

“Fine.”

The Great Hall was as stunning as last year, and the three girls found an empty table. They watched everyone go by, some in groups, and many in couples. Everyone was allowed to come, regardless of year, grade, if they had a date, or came by themselves, just like they did at Universe.

“Why is Harry here with Cho?” Sarah asked disbelievingly. “What does he see in her?”

“Why don’t you like her?” asked Ginny.

“I just get a bad vibe, that’s all. I mean, heard about what happened with Cedric, and I can understand and feel bad for her, but there’s just something about her I don’t like.”

The ball began and Ginny was immediately asked to dance. Luna danced by herself, and Sarah danced a few times with Makani and Demetrio.

Just before the end of the night, the three girls were resting when Fred, George, and Lee Jordan came over.

“Would you ladies care to dance?” Lee asked, offering his hand to Ginny, who accepted, then looked at Sarah.

Fred approached Sarah, and held out his hand. “Well spitfire, how about one dance and a temporary truce until the song is over? The feeling of Christmas and all that jolly stuff?”

She eyed him warily. “I’ll hate every minute of it,” she warned.

He bowed. “If you didn’t, I would have you carted off to St. Mungo’s.”

She rolled her eyes and followed him to the dance floor. Ginny and Lee and George and Luna followed them.

Thankfully it was the last dance, because as soon as the song ended, Sarah and Fred got into an argument over who stepped on whose foot. Their friends and family followed them, rolling their eyes.

Sarah and Luna eventually went in the opposite direction to get to the Ravenclaw tower.

Sarah stopped. “Oh! Luna, I just realized, there was something I was going to do after the ball. I’d better go do it now. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Bidding good-night to one another, Sarah ran back towards the Great Hall, but ducked down a deserted hallway and into a seemingly empty classroom.

But it wasn’t empty.

Sarah sighed happily as she wrapped her arms around her companion and rested her head on his chest.

“I hated not being able to take you to that ball,” he said.

“I know,” Sarah sighed sadly, “but you know it’s better this way.” She paused for a moment. “You’re going home for Christmas, right?”

“Yes, and you’re going where again?”

“Home for Christmas, and then to our lodge in Colorado for New Years, as always, but I’m going to miss you,” she added, looking up.

“Me too.” He looked when Sarah pointed upwards, and laughed when he saw mistletoe growing overhead. “Merry Christmas,” he said, kissing her.

“Merry Christmas,” smiled Sarah, kissing him back.

--

The next day everyone departed, the Hogwarts students on the train, the Universe students on the McFlair family private jet, which picked them up in a large field outside the school grounds.

Sooner than most of the students would have liked, the new term began and they were all back at Hogwarts. The D.A. meetings still continued, with Sarah keeping Harry informed of Umbridge’s moves.

Valentine’s Day came, and so did Harry’s disastrous date with Cho and his Rita Skeeter interview.

The day the article was published, there was a D.A. meeting. Harry was running late, and when he entered the Room of Requirement, he met with a huge argument.

Everyone stood, eyes wide, watching Sarah and, no, it couldn’t be…but it was! Cho Chang was Sarah’s opponent today, and was Sarah letting her have it!

“Don’t give me that!” Sarah was yelling back, disgusted. “You’re upset over Cedric, I know, and I’m sorry, but what you did to Harry was stupid! I mean are you blind, that you can’t tell he’s been friends with Ron and Hermione since their first year?! I’ve only been here since September and I could figure that one out! You can talk about Cedric all the time to Harry, don’t think I’ve never heard you, but he simply says he has to meet Hermione, and how dare he talk about her!” She took something out of her pocket and threw it down at Cho’s feet- a copy of The Quibbler. “Well there’s your proof that they weren’t doing anything exclusive, if you’re still too thick to realize it!”

Makani finally came up to Sarah and tried to calm her down.

“Sarah, you need to breathe. We both know what will happen if you don’t, and we don’t want that here.”

Cho took her chance and continued arguing. “You do need to calm down! You’re blowing everything out of proportion, and it’s not even any of your business! None of us need you to explode, or whatever people have been saying you do!”

Wind whipped around Sarah and forced Makani away from her. He rubbed his face in his hands.

“I tried everyone. I’m sorry,” he apologized.

Sarah’s hair turned into flames and she glared at Cho.

“Calm down huh?! Or would you really rather see the truth to what people have been saying?! Well, here it is! This is what happens to a Srib with a temper!!” At ‘temper’, her hair flared dangerously, and she rose from the ground, her eyes glowing a bright white. Everyone stared, petrified. “Well I’m sorry if I get mad at blubbering girls who are blind and selfish!” she continued. “One word about someone who isn’t you and you freak out! Grow up Cho Chang, grow up! I knew there was something I didn’t like about you since we met! I see now that I was right!”

Cho finally turned and walked away, giving Harry a disgusted look as she left the room, Marietta not far behind her.

It took some time to calm Sarah down, and when she did she apologized to everyone for losing control, and was really embarrassed that they had to see her at her worst. Harry decided it would be best to have the meeting next week and everyone left.

That night, in the corner of another deserted classroom, Sarah cried into her companion’s shirt as he rocked her back and forth, his arms around her. They both sat on the floor, her body facing the wall, his facing the desks.

“I hate this, I really do,” she sobbed. She was worn out from the outburst, and leaned limply against her companion’s chest. “Sometimes being a Srib is great, but other times, most times, it’s so obnoxious and embarrassing. I hate losing control like that, I feel like a freak. Now everyone knows what I can really be like.”

“It’s ok,” he said comfortingly, stroking her hair. “You made a mistake, that’s all. We all make them every day. It’s ok. You’re not perfect, and it’s one of the things I like most about you.” He grinned.

Sarah smiled through her tears.

“Thanks. I shouldn’t have yelled like that at Cho though, but she makes me so mad.”

“So you’re not going to apologize to her?”

She looked at him and raised her eyebrow.

“How long have you known me?”

He laughed and squeezed her tightly.

---------------
Thanks for reading! Please review!

Haras

Last edited:
Excellent, as usual ;)

But who was she kissing in the deserted classroom?! Not knowing that is going to kill me! That was a very smart tactic for keeping the reader wanting to read. So good. :)

By the way, sorry for the late comment. I just started college and have been hugely busy. But it was really nice to get on and see that the new chapter was up. :D

Excellent, as usual ;)

But who was she kissing in the deserted classroom?! Not knowing that is going to kill me! That was a very smart tactic for keeping the reader wanting to read. So good. :)

By the way, sorry for the late comment. I just started college and have been hugely busy. But it was really nice to get on and see that the new chapter was up. :D

i like cliffhangers to keep my readers ;)

i hope you do well in college! good luck! it's a really fun part of growing up. you learn a lot about yourself and the world.

Hi everyone! Welcome to one of my favorite chapters to write!

Thank you to my reviewers!

BlueSunsetWaters- Thank you! I'm glad you like it! Just keep reading :)

Sailor Violin- Thank you again for your reviews!

I hope you all like this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Chapter 7: Hermione’s Discovery

True to her word, Lady Andrea made Umbridge’s life a living nightmare: prank after prank, harassing “Janey” or “toad-face” in the halls, the madness rarely stopped. Not surprisingly, none of the other faculty really tried to help Umbridge or stop Lady Andrea.

Sarah was put in charge of getting the situation under control, but there was little she could do. She couldn’t make D.A. meetings, because Umbridge kept her working in the office, doing numerous things for her. This proved to be an asset in the end, when Sarah heard Marietta tell Umbridge about the D.A. Marietta had not been there when Sarah had initially told the D.A. about spying on Umbridge, but she still knew Sarah was coming to meetings. Thankfully, between Hermione’s jinx and Sarah’s magic fingers, that secret was safe. Umbridge immediately sent Sarah to get the other Inquisitorial Squad members. On her way, Sarah thought quickly about how to tell everyone. She remembered the house-elf, Dobby, she thought his name was, whom she had met one day. He would do anything for Harry, so she stopped by the kitchens, gave Dobby the message, and continued her journey, trying to buy time for him to reach them and for everyone to get away.

Sarah was with Umbridge when they caught Harry, and when they took him to Dumbledore. She saw Dumbledore leave, and dreaded what was bound to happen.

As soon as Umbridge became Headmistress, Lady Andrea increased her harassment of Umbridge. Sarah gratefully gave up trying to figure out how to stop her when Umbridge said she had a plan involving the Ministry.

For the rest of Hogwarts, life grew even harder with all the new decrees. Hermione was walking back to the Gryffindor common room from the library one night, thinking about all that had transpired this year, when she heard talking coming from an empty hallway.

Curious, she followed the sounds to a classroom with the door slightly ajar. Now she could clearly hear the voices.

“So you’re really leaving?”

“Yeah.”

“It won’t be the same without you.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll think about you every day.”

“Promise?”

“Of course.”

There was a pause, then, “I left the door open!” she heard a familiar voice say. “Good thing no one is-”

Hermione heard the voices coming towards the door, but didn’t have enough time to turn away. Instead she came face to face with Sarah…and Fred Weasley.

Sarah’s eyes widened. She looked at Hermione, then back to Fred.

“Um…we were…uh,” Fred stuttered.

Hermione smiled and tried not to laugh, then looked at Sarah. “I heard.”

Sarah turned to Fred. “I’ve got this,” she said softly. “You get some sleep.”

For a moment he opened his mouth to protest, and Sarah gave him a look. Sighing, he left, bidding good-night to both of them.

“In here,” said Sarah to Hermione, motioning to the classroom, her face now as red as her hair.

Once the door was shut, properly this time, Sarah looked at Hermione. “So…you heard us?” she asked, defeated.

Hermione smiled and nodded. “Why are you hiding it from everyone though? And how long has this been going on for, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Well, we both figured it was better for no one to know, so we wouldn’t have to risk anyone telling Umbridge that her right-hand girl was seeing one of the two biggest pranksters in the school. It’s been like this since Halloween.” Sarah smiled and laughed, remembering that day…

Fred and Sarah ran into each other near the end of the day, on their way to dinner. As usual, they began arguing as they walked, and, because they had not been paying attention to where they were going, soon found themselves in an empty corridor.

“Now we’re going to be late for the Halloween feast!” Sarah exclaimed. “All thanks to you! Why do you always start with me?!”

“Me?!” yelled Fred. “You never blame yourself! Why are you always yelling at
me?! Since the day we met we’ve argued!”

“Maybe I have good reason to!”

“Yeah, well maybe I have good reason to too!”

“And what could that possibly be?!”

“Maybe I really like you! Maybe I like that you’re a spitfire! Maybe I think you’re beautiful! Maybe I like the feeling of danger when I’m with you!”

“Well that’s great!” Sarah yelled back. “Because I like you too! I love your sense of humor! I think you’re really attractive too! How about that one?! But you’re never going to do anything about it, are you?!”

“Not if I thought you would bite my head off if I tried to kiss you like I’ve wanted to do for weeks!”

“I’d like to see you try!”

“Well maybe I will!”

“Oh yeah?!”

“Yeah!”

“I’ll believe it when it happens!”

With that, Fred wrapped his arms around Sarah and pulled her to him aggressively, and kissed her. After the shock gave way, Sarah relaxed and kissed him back…
“Sarah?” Hermione asked, bringing Sarah back to the present.

“Huh? Oh, sorry.”

“I was just saying that I won’t tell. I promise. Does anyone else know?”

“Only George, of course.”

“Alright then. Don’t worry. I’m good with this sort of thing. I’m an only child, and my best friends are boys, so I don’t get a lot of girl-talk.” She yawned. “We’d better hurry and get to bed. We don’t need either of us getting caught in the halls.”

Sarah smiled. “Thank you, Hermione. And you’re right- I am exhausted.”

“One last question though,” Hermione added. “Why is Fred leaving?”

Sarah grew sad. “He and George are fed up. They plan to leave with a bang. Tomorrow is the preview.”

“Oh dear,” said Hermione.

--

“Oh dear” was right. The next day hundreds of magical fireworks exploded around the school and wouldn’t disappear. Hermione found the twins and Sarah laughing hysterically as they listened to Umbridge and Filch’s attempts to remove the fireworks. The three were sitting on the steps of a secret 

hallway, Sarah and Fred’s fingers intertwined. Hermione complimented the three on their work, shook her head as she laughed, and walked on.

The next day was the twins’ departure. Harry, Hermione, Ron, and the rest of the school watched as Umbridge brought Fred and George to the entrance hall as Filch went to get the whipping license papers from his office. The portable swamp had worked great, and to top it all off, there were two giant cartoons hanging on the walls in the entrance hall.

The first pictured a man in an office, obviously Cornelius Fudge, with his pin-striped suit and green bowler hat. Outside his open office door, Voldemort was fighting Harry. It was enchanted so you could hear their spells making noise as Fudge was being interviewed.

“There is no way that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back!” he was saying to the reader. “No way! No possible way! Can someone shut my door? That racket is interrupting this interview!”

Above the whole cartoon was the title- “The Honorable Minister of Magic”

The other cartoon was of Umbridge, who kept changing back and forth from a toad, the black bow remaining on her head. She said, “I am Umbridge! Fear my toad-likeness and tacky choice of clothing! And don’t forget my sleep-inducing speeches! Muahahaha!”

“Who made these?!” yelled Umbridge after she had seen them. She spun around and glared at Fred and George. “Was it you?!”

“Now, now, Janey,” said Lady Andrea, floating into view. Peeves right behind her. “It was all me. I hope you like them. I even wrote a poem for you.” She and Peeves cleared their throats and recited,

“Umbridge, Umbridge, oh Umbridge.
I hope you get stuck in the plumbage.
With your big toad head,
That’s too big for a bed.
I’ll blast you from here
To Cumbridge!”

Half the school clapped, and they bowed.

“Well, we’re off everyone!” said Fred.

“Be sure to visit us in our new shop in Diagon Alley!” added George.

Summoning their brooms, they mounted them and flew up to Lady Andrea.

“I’ll miss my boys,” she said, wiping tears from her eyes.

Fred and George both leaned in to give her a kiss on the cheek, Fred on the right and George on the left. Then they flew away, turning to both Poltergeists as they did, saying, “Give her your worst.”

Peeves and Lady Andrea bowed and curtsied as they rest of Hogwarts cheered. Fred and George blasted open the front doors, then flew off into the sunset.

-------
It was the scene of Fred and George leaving that helped bring Sarah's story back to life for me. I will tell you the story at some point, but after I read that chapter in OoP, I actually drew the two cartoons and wrote the limerick. I was so excited to finally be able to use them in the story!

Please review! I want to know how you all feel about Sarah and Fred, and Lady Andrea too!

And just as a note, I am thinking about changing the name of this story, just so you know for next week.

Thanks

Haras

Very good, as usual ;) One thing though, the first few descriptive paragraphs seemed a little rushed for me. Maybe adding a bit more and maybe some dialogue would help. Also, the memory of Sara and Fred's arguing leading to their first kiss... it was kind of cliched, but I also feel that it sort of worked, considering their personalities. But maybe think about it a little. I really liked the limerick about Umbridge. That was great! :D
Overall it's coming along really well. And I think Fred was a good match for Sara. I had been sort of thinking she would possibly end up with one of them ;) Can't wait for the next chapter! :D

Back