Quote Thread

I like,

"So Narnia is no more."-Tirian

and I love this poem:
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight.
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more.
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death.
And when he shakes his Mane, we shall have spring again.

:D

Hey, the first quotes of the new year!

I love the arguments. Yes, I know they have no greater meaning but they do show the kids being kids.

Polly: "How exactly like a man!...And don't say I'm just being a woman, or you'll be a beastly copy-cat."
Digory: "I should never dream of calling a kid like you a woman"
Polly: Oh, I'm a kid, am I?...Well you needn't be bothered by having a kid with you any longer then. I'm off. I've had enough of this place. And I've had enough of you too--you beastly, stuck-up, obstinate pig!"

Eustace: "Still playing your old game?"
Edmund: "You're not wanted here."
Eustace: "I'm trying to think of a limerick...Something like this:"
Some kids who played games about Narnia
Got gradually balmier and balmier--

Lucy: "Well Narnia and balmier don't rhyme to begin with."
Eustace: It's an assonance."
Edmund: "Don't ask him what an assy-thingummy is...He's only longing to be asked. Say nothing and perhaps he'll go away."

Jill: "If only you'd listened to me when I tried to tell you, we'd be all right."
Eustace: "Yes, and if you hadn't played the fool on the edge of the cliff and jolly near murdred me--all right, I said murder, and I'll say it again as often as I like, so keep your hair on--we'd have come together and both known what to do."

MrBob

Thought I'd get this going again, though a lot of quotes might be taken up.

However, this one wasn't used:

"Once there was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." VDT

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of SC at the moment, so this might not be quite right, but:

"Many have come to the pale beaches, and few-
"few return to the sunlit lands, you needn't say it again. You are a chap of one idea aren't you?"​
Puddleglum, SC

"Welcome in the Lion's name. Come further up and further in." Reepicheep, LB I absolutely love this quote because it signifies the meeting again of one of the greatest characters of Narnia.

Another quote, which I cannot remember perfectly, forgive me, is Reepicheep's lecture to Caspian in VDT about his duty as king of Narnia and how he cannot go wherever he pleases if it breaks faith with his subjects.

I like the last few quotes in the last battle

I see now the garden is like the stable Its is far bigger on the inside then the outside

of course daugther of eve the futher up and furhter in your go the bigger everyhing gets it large on the inside then the outside

I see this is still Narnia and more real and more beatiful then the narnia ouside the stable door I see world within world narnia in narnia

No good thing is destroyed

It shows me that this world is bigger then we know and it gives us hope that nothing good will be destoryed and we have somthing to look forward to we do not see the big picture right now but we will soon and the clearer things become to us and God is bigger to us and more amzing then we know

Another quote, which I cannot remember perfectly, forgive me, is Reepicheep's lecture to Caspian in VDT about his duty as king of Narnia and how he cannot go wherever he pleases if it breaks faith with his subjects.

"If it please your Majesty, we mean shall not. You are the King of Narnia. You break faith with all your subjects, and especially Trumpkin, if you do not return. You shall not please yourself with adventures as if you were a private person. And if your Majesty will not hear reason it will be the truest loyalty of every man on board to follow me in disarming and binding you until you come to your senses."

I like that one too. :) My favorite line though is from the Professor. This particular quote is from The Last Battle.

"It's all in Plato, all in Plato: bless me, what do they teach them at these schools!" :D

Ah, such good quotes.

But my favorite is the one spoken by Puddleglum by far, the one while he and the children are underground. I read it here and there just to cheer me up a bit. It certanly does the job lol.

Another one is when Lucy ins in the woods with Aslan in the book Prince Caspian

Would everything would have turned out all right i mean if i would have came back

My Child to tell you what could have been you will never know but we acn always know what will happen are you brave now

Aslan breathes on her

"Yes i am Aslan"

"Now your a lioness all of Narnia will be renewed

That quote makes me cry every time i read it or hear it it shows how Lucy gets stronger That we can't change the past we just have to look forward to the future and not look behind.

Undoubtably my favorite quote in the whole series is in my banner: when they are in the darkness surrounding the Island Where Dreams Come True and Lucy prays. The Albatross appears and whispers to her "Courage, Dear heart."

That followed by "Murders, facists, Lions; it isn't fair"

"Courage, dear heart." (Aslan to Lucy.)

"Oh, bother, I left my new torch in Narnia."

Pretty much any of Puddleglum's pessimistic quotes.

When Lucy tries to wake up the trees.

When Jill is floating on the cloud, and she's wondering if anyone's ever done it before, and then thinks something along the lines of "Oh, bother, Scrubb probably has."

I love when Aslan creates Narnia, that's great, too...

If one could run without getting tired, I don't think one would often want to do anything else. ~The Last Battle

I very faintly experienced that once when I was around six, it was a wonderful feeling. :)

"I suppose we'll have to go right up the gorge again now," said Lucy.
"Lu, you're a hero," said Peter. "That's the nearest you've got today to saying I told you so. Let's get on."

and

It is a terrible thing to have to wake four people, all older than yourself and all very tired, for the purpose of telling them something they probably won't believe and making them do something they certainly won't like.

Both are from PC.

Favorite quotes?

What are your favorite quotes? Say how many you want! My are:

Puddleglum: "I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia!"

Edmund: "That's the trouble with girls, you can't carry a map in your heads."
Lucy: "That's because our heads have something in them."

Can't remember any more good ones right now. ;)

I will say again; Do you know how many threads there are for this sort of thing? There are like 4. I don't think anybody can ever find them though unless they look diligently through pages of threads like I do sometimes.:rolleyes:

Anywho;

FOR NARNIA AND FOR ASLAN!!!!

In the last days of Narnia...

There once was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb and he almost deserved it....

The whole Last chapter of the Last Battle.:)

Glenstorm in PC:

"The time is ripe. I watch the skies, Badger, for it is mine to watch, as it is yours to remember. Tarva and Alambil have met in the halls of high heaven, and on earth a son of Adam has once more arisen to rule and name the creatures. The hour has struck. Our council at the Dancing Lawn must be a council of war."

I just love it. I love the solemnity and dignity of it, and the commanding nature of it, as well as the way it apportions each creature his role in the grand scheme of things.

Peeps

I think there was another thread like this somewhere - if I find it I'll merge them.

I think my favourite quote among all the favourite quotes I have in the book is spoken by Hwin:

"I'd rather be eaten by you than fed by anyone else."

Narnia quote

I was wondering if anyone can help me locate a quote I believe is from one of the Chronicles. I am not sure which book... I thought it was "The Last Battle" but could not find it there. I am not sure of the exact words either, but recall Aslan replying (to Lucy, I believe) something to the effect of "Dear One, No one is ever permitted to know what might have been." If anyone can help me find this, I would really appreciate it!

Answered question...

OK, I just posted a question to which I almost immediately was able to find my own answer. My favorite quote is the same idea expressed in 2 books. In Prince Caspian: "'To know what would have happened, child?' said Aslan. 'No. Nobody is ever told that... But anyone can find out what will happen.'" And again in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: "...did I not explain to you once before that no one is ever told what would have happened?" A reminder that "what-if's" are a useless distraction in life.

Back