Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? (Books Only)

Which books do you like better, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?

• Harry Potter

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Lord of the Rings

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • I liked both equally

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
Same here :D I got sick of Lotr just reading the proluge :D But I finally read it(skipping the proluge of course)

How come? Whatever, if are ever allowed you MUST read them. They are amazing.

And whatever everyone says about Snape, I still get bugged with him. He is OK in the 7th book and in the 5th i simply ignored him but books 1,2,3,4 and 6 I LOATHED Snivellus...
It used to be that I wasn't allowed. Now it's like my own little record to see how long I can last. ;)

But isn't Snape's voice in the movies absolutely LOVELY??? You have to admit that at least.

Alan Rickman is a divine Snape. I love him. In the books and in the movies, Snape is the best. Ooops, this is supposed to be comparing and contrasting LOTR and HP.

In LOTR, there is no villain that you can actually like. Snape I liked. But only *** spoilers *** he didn't turn out to be a villain, did he?!

Alan Rickman is a divine Snape. I love him. In the books and in the movies, Snape is the best. Ooops, this is supposed to be comparing and contrasting LOTR and HP.

In LOTR, there is no villain that you can actually like. Snape I liked. But only *** spoilers *** he didn't turn out to be a villain, did he?!
I don't believe he did. The only way I know is cuz I picked up my friends Book 7 and only read the parts about Snape.
And Alan Rickman is the BEST villain actor ever!
To stay on topic. . . ummm. . . Sauron is a scarier villain than Snape!

The villain I like in LOTR is the Witch-King :D But of course he was the villain you know would never turn good. Snape was more a bit sarcastic and tough but his heart was true. He had one mission and never stepped away from it. He knew what he had to do. Alan Rickman is a brilliant actor. He is not only a perfect Snape but he is a character player. He deserves so much more attention.

The villain I like in LOTR is the Witch-King :D But of course he was the villain you know would never turn good. Snape was more a bit sarcastic and tough but his heart was true. He had one mission and never stepped away from it. He knew what he had to do. Alan Rickman is a brilliant actor. He is not only a perfect Snape but he is a character player. He deserves so much more attention.
This is kinda creepy cuz he's so old but. . . I like him!!! He and Leonard Cohen. I think it's the voice. :D Yea he is an extremely talented actor.
Also Wormtongue in LotR was very good. I mean good for a bad guy. You know what I mean. :D

Lord of the Rings definitely. I enjoy Harry Potter but it doesn't quite live up to the same standards as the huge complex masterpiece that is the Lord of the Rings.

Naturally, that's just my wee humble opinion though :)

This is kinda creepy cuz he's so old but. . . I like him!!! He and Leonard Cohen. I think it's the voice. :D Yea he is an extremely talented actor.
Also Wormtongue in LotR was very good. I mean good for a bad guy. You know what I mean. :D
Brad Douriff? He is good at playing the bad guy :D Nobody will laugh at you when you say you like Alan Rickman because he is very good. His age seems to melt away when he plays :D

I can totally dig Alan Rickman as he is about my same age ...
:)
But I agree, he is such a good actor, it is no wonder people of all ages like him.

GOF film was on TV last night, and I love the part where Snape keeps smacking Ron and Harry in the head because they won't stop whispering together during his class. The flicks his wrists and tugs down his sleeves in preparation for the last time ... It's so cute ...

OK, back to the original question of this thread: HP or LOTR?

I chose LOTR because of all the awesome and intricate history of Middle Earth that Tolkien created, the painstaking detail he put into it, the various languages and peoples and their roles and relations to one another -- the whole history of why the dwarves and the elves dislike each other, and then he reconciles them in Gimli and Legolas who become fast friends ...

It's such an amazing work, a masterpiece.

Not that HP isn't. I love the stories. And I find them more blatantly spiritual/Christian than LOTR is. But still, LOTR is my fave.

I remember when I was young, I fight for LOTR and loath people who liks HP. I cried when I found out that my cousins like HP more, I yell at them whenever thay say a thing about HP but now I can't belive I'm a huge HP fan:eek::eek: I like HP better.

Lord of the Rings. It's the fantasy book that all other fantasy books aspire to be. It's also a very rich and complex mythology if you read past the trilogy as I have. Tolkien is an unprecidented genius when it comes to modern fantasy.

I enjoyed HP, as a story, but to me well, it just didn't hold me as well.

I chose Harry Potter. Although I like LOTR, I think I feel something more toward the HP series because I grew up with it. There were times between books when I could speculate and wonder and feel suspense at what might happen next in the series. That was something I couldn't get with LOTR because I knew that everything basically turned out alright, even before seeing the movies or reading the books.

~Sfz

Is there ANYONE else besides me who likes Snape? (In Harry Potter of course) I really do feel soooo sorry for him...and I think there must be some mistake about his killing Dumbledore in the last book... Seriously, I really do like him. So call me weird. :D

I really hated him in the first six books, but then when i got to the last book, i felt so sorry for him!!!!!!! and i stopped hating him.

LOTR without a doubt. I do love HP but LOTR is like the world to me. The whole Middle-Earth with the different characters, places, adventures and even languages is so amazing. It's unbelievable someone could create this but Tolkien did. Nothing can beat LOTR to me.

When it comes to HP yes, I love Snape. He is such an awesome character. He looks mean, sounds mean but in the end it's all clear. He is the good guy. And I think the portrayal of him by Alan Rickman is perfect. Hats off to Alan. He is an amazing actor and no one could play a better Snape!

Back