Greta Gerwig to direct Two Chronicles of Narnia movies for Netflix?

All right. Step by step.

Hermoine, I agree about not PRE-judging; but my remarks come AFTER seeing the movie in question.

Identifying a very real defect is not negative, any more than a doctor figuring out what the illness is, is negative. The defect itself is the thing which is negative, so remedying the defect is as positive as you can get.

A defect may consist in having too much of one thing (emotionalism here) and too little of another thing (accurate thought here). If we say that the danger is having too much of the second thing, we'll never fix the problem. THIS is what my gold-and-silver illustration was about. But if the coin analogy doesn't help, ignore it. I'll just flat-out state the facts.

It is a fact that there never was, and never will be, a SHORTAGE of emotionalism in popular entertainment.

It is a fact that the popular culture is more likely to disrespect a keen analytical intelligence, than to admire it.

It is a fact that Mister Lewis wanted the adult Digory Kirke to be a man who HIGHLY VALUED analytical intelligence. That's why Kirke was concerned about what was taught in schools.

It is a valid inference that, if Digory Kirke really existed, and he got to see modern schools, the LAST thing he would say about them is that they had TOO MUCH logic being taught.

It is also a valid inference that, if Mister Lewis were still with us on Earth, he would have preferred to KEEP the logical element in Kirke's advice to Peter and Susan.

It is a fact that keeping the logical element would not have destroyed the concern for sibling love-bonds. And it is a fact that making Kirke appeal ONLY to emotion, was needlessly discarding something which Mister Lewis had purposely included.
I agree. This is something that has always bothered me about movies based on books- they almost always reinforce the emotional at the expense of the analytical. For a story to have true power, it must really have both in proper measure.

For the record, I am not at all ASSUMING that Greta Gerwig will contaminate the source material. But if she does, there are many WAYS that she might do it, not limited to the male-bashing which is frequent in movies today.

When the live-action Dawn Treader movie was released, I was dreading something which, happily, DIDN'T happen. Remember how Aslan says that He also exists in our world, under a different name? That name, obviously, is Yeshua/Jesus. What I dreaded, and was happy NOT to hear in the movie, would have been Aslan saying, "I am known by MANY names; I am Zeus, and Buddha, and Odin, and Amaterasu, and Krishna, and Quetzalcoatl, and Amon-Ra, and Yarilo, and Ishtar......"

Last edited:
For the record, I am not at all ASSUMING that Greta Gerwig will contaminate the source material. But if she does, there are many WAYS that she might do it, not limited to the male-bashing which is frequent in movies today.

When the live-action Dawn Treader movie was released, I was dreading something which, happily, DIDN'T happen. Remember how Aslan says that He also exists in our world, under a different name? That name, obviously, is Yeshua/Jesus. What I dreaded, and was happy NOT to hear in the movie, would have been Aslan saying, "I am known by MANY names; I am Zeus, and Buddha, and Odin, and Amaterasu, and Krishna, and Quetzalcoatl, and Amon-Ra, and Yarilo, and Ishtar......"
You got very lucky otherwise that wouldn't have been the best movie adaption.

I just saw this. Exciting. More excited than I thought I'd be. Well, at least we have something concrete to track and follow now. It will be interesting to see if something good comes out of this.

I just saw this. Exciting. More excited than I thought I'd be. Well, at least we have something concrete to track and follow now. It will be interesting to see if something good comes out of this.
Honestly, while I am hoping for the best, I was not impressed with her adaption of Little Women.

Right now, I'm subscribing to a "Schrodinger's Box" interpretation of her involvement, wherein the movie is both simultaneous terrible and amazing at the same time until "we open the box" (i.e. the movie is released) and find out for sure.
I'd like to think since Netflix did a good job on Scrooge: A Christmas Carol musical that they'll do good on Narnia, but unfortunately when it comes to adaptations of Dickens Christmas Carol, like adaptations of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, they're kind of like pizza. Even a bad one can have some good parts to it. If anything Netflix's involvement in Angela's Christmas and a Week A Way assure me more that they are less antithetical to the Christian message of Narnia then other big companies may come across as.

Last edited:
All I know is that it would be nice to see all of them made. Do we know if Douglass Gresham is involved at all?

Back