Discuss the White Witches in BBC and Walden

I liked Tilda better. While I think the BBC witch looked more like the one in the book, I found Tilda much scarier. The only thing wrong with Tilda's performance was that "No!"

Did anyone like the animated White Witch? I thought she was more funny than anything else. Like when she is forcing Edmund and Ginnabrik to walk "FASTER! FAASSSTEER YOU FOOOLS! Hurry up or you will all be KILLED! KKKIIIILLLLEED!" It was way over the top, but I found it funny.

I didn't think Tilda was scary at all. Neither did my tiny nieces. They've seen both versions. With Tilda they call her the mean pretty lady but they're not scared of her. They just think she's really mean. With the witch in the BBC, they're scared enough to run and grab my legs and tell me how scared they are. She just wasn't scary to me. When she was the scariest was in the battle, but mostly because she was armed. I think Tilda is a good actress, but I just wasn't scared of her at all as the witch. Not in the least.

Tilda is wayyy much better cause when i saw her i was like "WOW!" and "OHH" and "WHOA!"

as for Barbara, i was like "well..." or "so-so" and sometimes "whaaaaat???"

yeah, Barbara looks like the Pauline Baynes's White Witch but I think Tilda looks more like THE white witch, WHITE, wicked, and sometimes, very scary !!!!

Agreed, Powl'! Barbara does seem to look more like Pauline Bayne's white witch....However... She was a bit out there....Alot...

Tilda seems to capture the White Witch's personality and added a bit of real-ness(is that even a word?) and fear and everything that Barbara's character really didn't have.

Though I do admit to only getting to the beaversdam on the BBC version *blush*.

Tilda is wayyy much better cause when i saw her i was like "WOW!" and "OHH" and "WHOA!"

as for Barbara, i was like "well..." or "so-so" and sometimes "whaaaaat???"

I was the exact opposite. Barbara did play it up WAY too large, but she captured the spirit of the character overall so it worked well anyway. I liked the way she was in the battle too where she didn't need to necessarily be standing next to something to turn it to stone. That was always how I'd pictured it in my mind. I never saw the wand as a sort of magical spear. Never. It worked ok with the Disney/Walden film, but it was nothing like I'd imagined it.

I watched the BBC after reading the book. I'd been familiar with the book for years before the BBC came out. I was raised on the Narnia books from infancy.

I liked how the witch looked like the book description. I didn't like how Tilda was talking about her being an Aryan white supremecist (sp?). She wasn't. That wasn't on her radar screen. In Magician's Nephew it was after she ate the forbidden apple that she turned really white. It wasn't that she just liked everything to be white. I always figured that a snowy land would be easier to control because it's harder and much less comfortable for people to move around in freely. But that's just my perception.

you're right, she becomes white after eating the apple, and in the battle of LWW, Tilda's not white at all !!! :eek:

I like both Tilda and Barbara in their own rite. I first saw BBC's LWW when I was about 5 or 6, and Barbara terrified me as Jadis then. Looking back at it now, I do find her performance a bit OTT.

Tilda I thought was good, but she didn't really strike me in the same way as Barbara did. She was brilliant in the battle scene, but I didn't find her as striking as I had found Barbara otherwise.

a vote for Tilda

Tilda truly captured the horror of charismatic beauty coupled with self-centered coldness, harshness and deceptively charming evil. Barbara's performance was a bit too shrill for me, notwithstanding her white skin and dark hair.

Back