Aslan looks AWFUL!

Yeah, but...

In regards to the anxiety over Disneyfication, keep this comparison in mind:

A)Pirates of the Caribbean: Made by a creative team with very little input from the Disney corporation/Eisner, other than permission, funding, and distribution. Smash, blockbuster hit. Disney gets credit and glory. (And gets slammed for not capitalizing on merchandise opportunity, which tells you they did not expect the result they got.) Two sequels now in the works.

B)The Haunted Mansion: Made by a Disney creative team with the usual million-levels-of-micro-management Eisner bureacracy, using a tired, PC-Hollywood formula. Total flop. Disney loses truckload of money and gets rightly criticized. (But will probably make a crappy direct-to-video sequel some time in the next five years).

And now, we have Narnia, which fits description A best, although with even less input from the House of Mouse, as Narnia was already in production before Disney was hired to distribute. ONLY TO DISTRIBUTE (with all the advertising, et al, that entails.) I would have to check the facts on this, but I do not believe Disney is even funding the production. Now, that may change if they decide to do the sequels, but for now, I think LLW is safe from Mickey's little sticky fingers. Just wait 'till Prince Caspian and they'll be casting him as Reepicheep (heh heh, just kiddin', but just to give you all nightmares!)

I agree that it is unfair Disney will get the credit and glory for this film if it does well, but I'm glad the movie is getting made, period. Maybe (we can dream) it will wake Disney up to what its core audience really wants - family films with magic and morals and depth, NOT dumb, fart-joke-ridden, Cartoon Network tripe or the next tweener Hilary Duff "believe in yourself", "follow your heart" diatribe.

tgraveline said:
interesting, i'll have to watch JP again to remember all of the shots and see it again for myself, i have always thought they did one of the best jobs out there still to date. Now which shot of trinity are you talking about?

tg

I actually put on JP right after I typed up my last post just out of excitement. Man it looks good. That shot of Trinity is right as she jumps out the window in the First scene of Reloaded, shes comeing towards the camera, pulls out her guns, flys by the camera, and begins firing on the agent that jumps out after her. Its really impressive, because I dont know one person who actually thought that it was CG. Too bad that some other mediocore effects, took away from that one.

Also, nice Gollum pics, thats a great example of how the shots are tweaked between trailer and release.

Sunrise said:
In regards to the anxiety over Disneyfication, keep this comparison in mind:

A)Pirates of the Caribbean: Made by a creative team with very little input from the Disney corporation/Eisner, other than permission, funding, and distribution. Smash, blockbuster hit. Disney gets credit and glory. (And gets slammed for not capitalizing on merchandise opportunity, which tells you they did not expect the result they got.) Two sequels now in the works.

B)The Haunted Mansion: Made by a Disney creative team with the usual million-levels-of-micro-management Eisner bureacracy, using a tired, PC-Hollywood formula. Total flop. Disney loses truckload of money and gets rightly criticized. (But will probably make a crappy direct-to-video sequel some time in the next five years).

And don't forget The Three Musketeers ;) . Although it wasn't intended to be completely historically accurate, it was entertaining, detailed, and quite dark in parts.

Aslan

The Aslan seen in the trailer is NOT the final version. They were rushing to get him good enough to include in the trailer. In fact, many of the shots in the trailer aren't finished. They are still working on Aslan.

AND, once again let me point out.....DISNEY IS NOT MAKING THIS MOVIE. DISNEY IS JUST PAYING FOR IT. There is no need to worry about what influence Disney will have on this film because the fact is: they have none. This is Walden Media's movie. Disney just wants to distribute it and make toys and stuff.

glumPuddle said:
The Aslan seen in the trailer is NOT the final version. They were rushing to get him good enough to include in the trailer. In fact, many of the shots in the trailer aren't finished. They are still working on Aslan.

AND, once again let me point out.....DISNEY IS NOT MAKING THIS MOVIE. DISNEY IS JUST PAYING FOR IT. There is no need to worry about what influence Disney will have on this film because the fact is: they have none. This is Walden Media's movie. Disney just wants to distribute it and make toys and stuff.

And once again let ME point out...THIS IS NOT REASSURING! Walden Media has made some pretty lame flicks, with the possible exception of "Because Of Winn-Dixie" - and I saw that myself and thought it was very...tepid. Walden is a very small potato in movieland, and its input into the film, not Disney's, worries me a great deal.

I say, the more Disney magic infused into a Narnia film, the better! Look what Disney did for "Aladdin" and "Beauty and the Beast"! Has there been a single classic story Disney hasn't improved upon when it's translated into the "Disney version"? I realize Uncle Walt is long gone, and Michael Eisner is a schlump, but Disney is still capable of making great films. I'm just saying - IMO it's silly to fear this new Narnia film because of Disney! I just don't understand this Disney bashing!

Mulan sucked judy, and after Herculies, there has not been an animated disney film, not computer animated at least that i have enjoyed. Lilo and stitch was awful. So I would be more worried about them.

tg

yea when the trailer didn't really give a prolonged aslan shot and didnt give much away and id prefer him being not as "spectactular" to having some cg animated thing out there that doesnt remotely resemble a real lion
i also think that the actors of the Pevensies will do very good
(and i believe the got the woman who was in LOTR to be the white witch which is sweet)

Mulan sucked? When I saw that movie a while back, I thought it was a really good story. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but was mulan already a legend before Disney turned it into a movie?

On the subject of Aslan, when I first saw the trailer, I thought he was a real lion. Maybe in my thankfullness that someone if FINALLY creating a good Chronicles of Narnia movie, I may have not noticed that Aslan was not a real lion.

It looks like this movie is going to be very well done. There may be a few dissapointments, but I am sure that they will be outnumbered by the good things in the movie. I am just glad that someone is creating the movie, because the old version of LWW seemed a little fake.

tgraveline said:
Mulan sucked judy, and after Herculies, there has not been an animated disney film, not computer animated at least that i have enjoyed. Lilo and stitch was awful. So I would be more worried about them.

tg

Well, I disagree with you about "Mulan" and "Lilo and Stitch". "Mulan" needed better scripting - and Eddie Murphy was totally miscast (he makes a much better donkey than a dragon!), but it still had its moments. And as for "Lilo" - that ROCKS! The more I've seen it, the more I like it. The human characters, particularly the sisters, were warmly and convincingly portrayed, and every other character - including the aliens - were superb IMO. In fact "Lilo" demonstrates how well putting ordinary people in extraordinary situations can work as a storyline. Which is, after all, pretty much what "Narnia" is all about! :)

I'm sorry, i just don't see how that was a good one at all. I've watched it a couple times with my nephew and niece and i hate it more and more each time i see it. Its reminds me of how kids toys were getting better around late 90s then when 2000 hit, the toys now suck so much for kids that i've kept all my old toys that i played with for my future kids. I wouldn't keep this movie for my kids, but movies like the lion king and the little mermaid are considered classics now, lilo and stitch does not reach even close to that kind of caliber even among the disney fanatics. I think most people really see disney as going downunder, look at their sales, they only do well these days with movies like the incredibles because pixar picks them back up each time to barely survive their massive bills. They use to be the children's movie tycoon for having the best, but no longer are the people feeling that way for them, because the movies lack the same heart they use to.

tg

tgraveline said:
I think most people really see disney as going downunder, look at their sales, they only do well these days with movies like the incredibles because pixar picks them back up each time to barely survive their massive bills.

I have to agree with you there. When Pixar said they wouldn't renew their contract with Disney, Mickey Mouse almost fainted from sheer fear that the company would go down under. Disney had (and still has to) do everything to get Pixar back on board, because Pixar was treated like poo-poo. The first thing Disney has to do is sign good deals with good companies and then try to create great masterpieces by themselves.

Do I think this movie will be great? YA! Sure there will be problems, but thats understandable, as I'm sure many things will be done right. The fear of disneyfication is still there, but I still hope, and now think, that this movie will be good :D

I'm going to have to agree with you, tg. "Lilo" and "Mulan" are not the best examples of saying that Disney hasn't lost it. I thought both were quite sub-par. But then of course Disney (or more accurately the people working for the Disney studio since 'Disney' is not one entity) has produced some good movies like "Pirates of the Caribbean," with was produced and distributed by Disney. Of course, the big film in question is Narnia, which is produced by Walden Media and distributed by Disney, so instead of asking "Can Disney pull it off?" the question should be "Can Andrew Adamson pull it off with the help of Walden Media?"

My guess is that the answer is "yes."

I agree. Disney's job is to distribute and market the film, and from what I've seen, they're doing a great job. But we seem to be getting a bit off-topic.

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that Aslan is finished at this stage. I think the guys were pretty rushed to get him done for the teaser.

Good point there dragon. Adamson has done two movies that i have truly enjoyed, so there is hope on my side at least. Hopefully there will be more hope floating around the boards.

tg

Good grief guys...is there really a need for all the bickering? ;)

It's still 7 months until the movie comes out...there's time to work on Aslan! Personally, I think that the moviemakers were rushed to get him into the teaser, and so they may have "cut" a little quality. I thought he looked quite good!

This is completely random, but check out Narniaweb.com! It's the best fan site EVER. :D

PrincessRosario said:
Good grief guys...is there really a need for all the bickering?
Welcome, Princess! Glad to have you here. We don't think of it as bickering. We call it good-natured chafing ... or rampant complaining ... or virulent belly-aching ... or intellectual debating ...

This kind of challenging discussion is our lifeline here at narniafans.

you call this bickering, go to the evolution/creation thread. that is some great debating. We don't mean any harm, but we like having heated discussions :D

Back