And Rock Begot Metal

Last night, Wood Nymph and I went to a club where our personal friends were performing. The friends are a band called "Cryptic Writings," led by a thirty-something woman (thus, around Wood Nymph's age) calling herself Phoenix Rose. Just to show that not everyone in performing arts is isolated from the blue-collar working class, Phoenix used to drive railroad trains.

Some of you know that I have a gigantic celebrity crush on Swedish singer Madeleine Liljestam. (No, not all Swedes are blondes.) I only just learned that she got her start as a contestant on the Swedish version of the talent show "The Voice."

Wood Nymph and I are familiar with two regional all-female bands which perform songs by male bands. Covering the work of Guns & Roses is the band "Paradise Kitty;" covering the work of Iron Maiden is the band "Iron Maiden-ZUH."

Saturday night, at Denver's Oriental Theater, the Iron Maidens headlined a show that also included our personal friends "Cryptic Writings." Both groups delivered the goods for the audience, and we left the theater satisfied. But a third band, performing between the others, produced a touching incident.

"Blackout" was hastily brought in when a cover band for "Poison" was forced to cancel. Blackout not only entertained quite respectably, but provided instrumental variety. A young lady joined in WITH A VIOLIN. (Guitars are great, but I do enjoy hearing OTHER instruments.) Sadly, in what was supposed to be the very best number of their set, the violin LOST ITS AUDIO.

Shortly before the Iron Maidens took the stage, I got the chance to speak with the frustrated violinist. I told her that I admired her for keeping calm in the face of a cruel disappointment. This cheered her up somewhat.

So before we parted company, I told her about The Dancing Lawn.

This week on YouTube, I was delighted to find a live-performance video of my ultra-crush, Madeleine Liljestam of Sweden. For the benefit of newer T.D.L. members, Miss Liljestam is a ten-- SQUARED. Note that not all Swedes are blonde.

Madeleine's voice remained as deliciously melodic as ever. She and her band members did some head-banging in unison at a point or two. And, reinforcing what Wood Nymph and I have always found to be the case with metal-heads, she expressed heartfelt appreciation for the audience, telling them, "Without our fans, we are nothing!"

The only reason why I'm not posting the video is because I am not QUITE 100 percent certain that no naughty words were uttered.

I have just watched part of a concert video over TWO HOURS in length, by a band called Stick Figure. I couldn't spare the time to check the entire show for naughty words, therefore am not posting it; but from what I did hear, the odds of any naughty words occurring are scarcely one percent.

The band is not metal; but I want to honor the dedication of any musicians who have the guts to perform outdoors in Alaska. Their style is like a blend of Jethro Tull, Santana, Chicago and Fleetwood Mac. Especially Santana, I think. To view the concert "at your own risk," search YouTube for:
"Stick Figure in Alaska."

As I believe I've said before, metal music is perfectly capable of expressing tenderness-- because tenderness is not necessarily sluggish or boring. Here is a metal cover of Don Henley's magnificent lost-love song. If you pay attention, you'll notice that this version changes what sticker was on the Cadillac.

Some of you may have noticed that I've taken an interest in "HALO" characters, although I have no time to PLAY the game. Here is a metal rendition of music from that game.

Note that this VENEZUELAN metal band was formed, and gained success, long BEFORE dictator Hugo Chavez devasted their country's economy, infrastructure and living conditions.

Back