The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia

Notices

The Chronicles of Narnia The Narnia Novels, all things Narnia, related to the books

View Poll Results: What order?
Written (LWW, PC, VoDT...) 86 45.74%
Chronological (MN, LWW, HHB...) 89 47.34%
Other (Please specify) 13 6.91%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2005, 09:47 PM

Hope96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Personally, I prefer reading them in the chronological order. I know that the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was written first. But I think it helps the story line alot if you start from the beginning and read the Magician's Nephew first. But that's just my opinion!

Always keep in mind that God has a time for everything, we just have to be patient and wait for it!!!

KEEPER OF THE LAMPOST
Old 06-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

If you already read them, it doesn't matter.

If you were starting fresh, I would say read LWW first, because then you are introduced Aslan at the same time, and in the same way, as the Pevensie kids -- you hear his name, you hear he's a lion, but you have no ideas about him, and then there he is, rushing toward you ...

If you read MN first, you already know all about Aslan, and a lot of the happy mystery is gone from LWW.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 PM

inked is on a distinguished road

YOU should read them in the original published order and then read them in chronological order, if you like. And you should do this often! It is good for you!

I have rant about this on another forum that I will transpose here!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Friend of Narnia

she-elfwarrior19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the original order, LWW, PC, DT, SC, HAHB, MN, LB. Im still getting use to the new version of the order
History Enthusiast

Old 06-06-2005, 08:30 PM

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I read the LWW first originally, several years ago. Then I picked up the MN a few years ago and started the whole series over again. I felt like it would've been better to read them in chronological order first.

Oh well, I guess that's just my choice.

Always keep in mind that God has a time for everything, we just have to be patient and wait for it!!!

KEEPER OF THE LAMPOST
Old 06-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Retired Purplemite

holyboy will become famous soon enough

After reading back the books (i read them LWW, then MN, PC, VDT ect.) i felt that you have to read them in written order first to understand everything in the books, what with all the side references

I am no longer an active moderator. I am sorry but I cannot answer requests or receive PMs.
In an effort to speed up your internet viewing experience, I shall refrain from using images in my signature.
However, I still think your should stop reading this, as the post is up there^^
Old 06-06-2005, 09:27 PM

inked is on a distinguished road

proper reading order, A RANT, by Inked

Well, I am going to go all over nerdy here about the recent publications of the CoN because I came across them numbered IN PROPER CHRONOLOGICAL SEQUENCE PER NARNIAN TIME! The only proper sequence to read them in for the first time is publication order in my inestimable and not at all humble nor modest opinion! It's, it's blasphemy, that's what it is, to number them for unsuspecting gift giving adults to buy for children!!! Some poor soul will now encounter them as though they were historically accurate renditions of Narnia instead of the wonderfully kaleidescoped published sequence. Ahh, the lack of romance and adventure to encounter Aslan as in TMN rather than LWW!!!!

I hear there are persons who consider this chronological series read to be proper and the only correct way to read TCON BUT that is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG (did I mention I regard that view as erroneous?)! I adduce the very proper stage and television and BBC productions of the series as further evidence of my thesis! And the ERTV/Kraft foods animated movie, as well!
And the intended current productions!!!!!!!!! Everyone knows they should be produced as published! Egads! Has the world gone enumeration delusional?

*breathes*

Oh, the horror of it! Is it the baleful influence of the enumerated HP series casting a bewitchment of arithmancy over the whole publishing industry? DO those chaps/chappettes in the booking world think that works of fiction need be cast all in the modes of artificial history a la Tolkein? Will they next number all the extant Tolkeiniana in the same fashion from Silmarillion to HoME whatever we are at? (And a good long lifetime to 'em if they try that!)
Shall we have Charles Williams novels subjected to the iniquities of this ilk?

*breathes...again*

I dare say sequentially narrative Lord Peter Wimsey novels are published as such for they were produced as such! But this irritatingly anachronistical ephemeral fad of producing numbered TCON is simply WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! To enter Narnia unaccompanied by Mr. Tumnus on the first visit????
It is sacrilege! Do not succumb to this mania for enumeration!
Go to Narnia as published and read for nearly 6 decades, not some moddish pseudo-historicism route, I beg of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*breathes*
...and tomorrow I'll say how I REALLY FEEL about this atrocity of enumerated publication by historicists!!!!!

Old 06-07-2005, 01:33 PM

Okie Dokie Inked....you have made your point well!

KEEPER OF THE LAMPOST
Old 06-07-2005, 01:49 PM

legolas is on a distinguished road

OK Well, It really doesn't matter if you The Magiceans Nephew at all! It was made to explain how narnia got started how the wardrobe got there and all, that's it really! You should start though with either the magiceans nephew or of LWW.

As Minerva McGonagall, your strict facade is complimented by a warm heart, and you always do what is for the greater good.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas
You should start though with either the magiceans nephew or of LWW.
I don't know ... See Inked's Brilliant Post on previous page and always start with LWW! MN fills you in on the background, but LWW gives you the fresh, exciting, wonders of Narnia!
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly

Last edited by inkspot; 06-08-2005 at 12:34 PM. Reason: sequence