The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia

Notices

The Chronicles of Narnia The Narnia Novels, all things Narnia, related to the books

View Poll Results: What order?
Written (LWW, PC, VoDT...) 86 45.74%
Chronological (MN, LWW, HHB...) 89 47.34%
Other (Please specify) 13 6.91%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2004, 06:00 AM

mspin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which order do you think the books should be read in?

I am a 5th grade teacher and I read ALL 7 books to my class. I read them IN THE ORDER OF PUBLICATION!!!
I can't imagine reading them any other way. The Magician's Nephew is magical and wonderous because we know what is going to happen. I get chills reading about the creation of the lampost. If you haven't read LWW, that scene would be meaningless.

The only reason STAR WARS Episode 1 & 2 are any good is because we know who Anakin is going to become. IT'S KINDA THE SAME THING HERE.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 AM

Warrior-Poet51088 is an unknown quantity at this point

I beg to differ. After reading Magician's Nephew, reading Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe would be that much more of an "Oh! Wow! This is awesome!" experience--you'd know where everybody had come from: that the witch is Jadis, and how horrible of a person she is. It's character build-up. Have you ever read The Iliad or The Odyssey? They both have extreme amounts of character definition in them; that's why people still read them today--the characters are so well-described!
The scene with the creation of the lamp-post would not be meanignless--it would show you how young the world is; that's why Aslan explains it all to them.
I can barely stand episode 1 & 2, diehard STAR WARS fan that I be--the plot is nonexistant. But that's another can o' worms.
Now that I'm done raving, welcome to the site!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:42 PM

Y. Fish is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Y. Fish

I think that either way you read 'em, MN and LWW are full of things to be surprised about. I read MN first by mistake, and then went in chronological order, and I still enjoyed the books every bit as much. Anybody want to dig up old Lewis and ask his opinion on all this? just kidding
Old 07-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Tumnus The Smooth

I have to say that I think the original order is the best way to read them. TLWW in my opinion is the best introduction to Narnia, and I think starting with TMN takes away from some of the mystery of the later books.

But really it's just a matter of personal preference. However, when I start reading TCoN to my children, I'll start w/ TLWW and read them in the CORRECT order.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:30 PM

NiennaTinuviel is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't lewis himself say that they should be read in chronological order?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Admin and Webmaster

Specter has disabled reputation

lewis tended to agree that they should be read in Chronological order, but he didn't say it was necessary
Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 PM

He did say that reading them in chronological order was good in one of his letters to children.
And as much as I love C.S. - I still think that SO MUCH of the magic is lost when we read TMN before LWW.

For example - The first time we hear Aslan's name in LWW is when Mr. Beaver says, "They say Aslan is on the move! Perhaps has already landed." We then read about the effect that the name of Aslan has on each of the children (exciting to terrifying).

In MN the first time we hear Aslan's name is after he gives the animals speech, and they respond with, "Hail, Aslan! We think. We feel We love..." (I don't have the book in front of me There's really not much to it. They seem to already know his name - (This is okay because WE already know his name, too - IF we've already read LWW. If NOT we MUST simply think to ourselves, "Oh, I guess Aslan is the Lion's name." - No magic, no mystery, just his name.

One more thing...If we should read MN first, WHY aren't they making THAT movie right now instead of LWW???

This is fun!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:39 PM

NiennaTinuviel is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most people read LWW before MN just because it's more popular...I mean, more people have heard of LWW i believe. At least, in my experience, i hear more ppl commenting on LWW than MN. I personally like reading LWW before MN because it makes MN that much better and wonderful and surprising and "oh NOW i get it" and it makes u want to read the other books again if you haven't already.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:59 PM

EXACTLY!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 07:58 PM

Hear-aslan-roar is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hear-aslan-roar
Default The right order

I have read all of the narnia books before, but I am wanting to get the full effect of them...Please help me..what order should I read them to get the full effect out of my reading experience.