The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > Christianity and Narnia

Notices

Christianity and Narnia The Allegory of the Chronicles of Narnia (Religion and Narnia Discussions)

Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Thanks, Tim! I had forgotten about my nice little thread. The intent is: to talk about the ways God has blessed you, and also if anyone has any questions about living the Christ life, you can post them here, and maybe some believers will try to answer.

I want to echo what John said above and thank God that He never gave up on me, at any point in my life. From my early 20's to my early 30's I was totally, spiritually off-track, and living a very dangerous lifestyle -- physically dangerous and emotionally perilous, too. If any of my little friends I grew up with in church had seen me then, they would have been moritifed, and they never would have imagined I could be such a wretched person, and they never would have dreamed that I could come back to being a follower of Jesus Christ again ...

But Jesus believed that I could, and when I finally came to my senses, He was only too happy to welcome me back and -- wonder of wonders! -- start turning my horrible experiences into the beginnings of wisdom ... which I still have just the beginnings, but it is breath-taking to me that Jesus would have cared enough to keep pulling for me and reaching out to me, in hopes I would come back.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Friend of Narnia

Solya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Solya

Today I smiled at God when I missed my train, because I had been telling Him before that I would so very much like to enjoy the beautiful weather outside and it almost seemed like He had decided to let me miss my train just so I could walk back into nature again! I'm sure He must have laughed with me as I took my shoes off and walked down the street on my bare feet before the whole train incident happened, too, because it's a silly little thing I tend to do whenever I want to talk with Him like a child speaks to her Father. I was singing and dancing inwardly, laughing through the tears of having renewed this magnificent connection, and all the while I was thinking to myself that while the outer world might think I'm a bit crazy... God loves me for taking my shoes off anyway.

I guess that's the real beauty of God's grace. You can think of yourself as quite a bit mad when you do things like that or when you notice God's guidance in your life and literally shout "thank you" towards the sky... but God likes it when you do that, because it means that you've thought about Him at the same time when He's thought about you. I think it's amazing that God thinks about all of us at the same time and manages to work His magic through our lives...

And all I said yesterday evening to Him was "I put my life in Your hands, because I know You do a much better job at steering me through it than I have ever done". Just goes to show how much he picks up on the feeling behind such words, haha.
Behind the mask of Father and Son

As you wish... for Kingdom come...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Very sweet, Solya!

I read a story about a little girl walkig home in a tremendous thunderstorm. Her mum was worried about her and ran out to meet her -- she thought the child might be scared. She ran out to meet her but saw her down the block, stopping every few yards to smile up at the rain! She asked the child when she got home what she had been doing, and she said it seemed every few yards God was taking her picture, because the flash would go off, and she had to stop and smile for the photo.

That's what your post reminded me of.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17

________
Old 05-24-2007, 08:25 AM

Tarkheena_Finduilas22 is on a distinguished road

I just thank God for always answering my prayers in the best ways. Recently my older sister had been going to her future college for scholarship options, and I prayed so hard she'd get the free ride through 4 years. She didn't. But God must have had a reason for it. Instead, she's gotten two other scholarships, and though it's not free, I think she'll enjoy these more, because she gets to do two things she loves. Sing and play flute. I'm just so thankful that God's carrying her, and our whole family through this time. She's the first one to graduate out of our family, and it's going to be odd not having her around 24/7, but it's just so awesome that she's gotten accepted to the college she wanted.

Psalm 15
Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 AM
The Scholar, O.L.

Charn_Tim will become famous soon enough

Solya, that story was awesome! And inkspot, that story is really cute! Tarkheena that's cool that your sis gets to go to a college she wants and I'll bet you'll miss her. I remember when my older sister went off to college for the first time, it was an adjustment for me too.

I have a nice story of God's grace this week as well. I teach a physics lab at my university and I love it and the students usually have a really positive, low stress experience in there, but there happened to be one particular student who I could tell was getting more and more upset during the labs and finally, last week was overly resistive and openly uncooperative. During that time, I largely ignored this, but it really got to me afterwards and I was very stressed out and perturbed. I was deciding what to do: take points away, ignore it, talk with the student right before the lab, etc. And I had pretty much decided to take points away from the lab because of the student's attitude (which I actually have a right to do).

Then during one of my daily Bible reading times in the morning, I realized that this is not at all a good way to exercise grace in this situation. So I decided that I would meet with the student to discuss how the lab was going and if I could do anything better. And I couldnt be happier with how it went; when we met the student had an extremely apologetic attitude and was a bit reticent and then the next week, the behaviour was exemplary.

So rather than letting my pride of being offended and a bit disrespected get in the way, by God's grace, I took the opportunity to use wisdom and spread the grace of God and it was far better for everyone; and I really attribute this to the work of God in my life!

Officially Elected TDL Brother

"The weight of my neighbor's glory should be laid on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken." --CS Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"

Please watch and read my video interview with Georgie and Will!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Beloved Disciple

That is really a good example of grace, Tim. I have a tendency, too, to sort of react rather than praying and deciding what to do based on God's principles. One person who has helped me do better with this is our friendly Badger, EveningStar. His posts are always so compassionate, and he seems to look to the well-being of the person he's responding to, ahead of their offense or their beef or whatever. It's quite inspirational.

Now I have read a book by Stephen Lawhead called "Avalon," and I thought I would share a portion of it which also inspired me. The elderly counselor protagonist has just asked the reluctant hero to come with him, and James is afraid to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lawhead's Avalon
"Do I have a choice?"

"Oh, we all have a choice, James. Destiny calls but once in a lifetime, and every person has a choice whether to answer the call or to ignore it. Stay or go, the choice is yours."

"If I stay here," James asked, "what will happen?"

"Nothing too bad," Embries shrugged. "The world will still keep turning. It will no longer be the same world, true, but things will go on much as they always have: ignorance, poverty, crime, and vice will increase, as they do. Factionalism, rivalry, greed, and corruption will render all political and social systems impotent -- but that is nothing new. Misery will multiply, and this nation will at last fall beneath the shadow. If you stay, you will be well out of it, for a while at least."

He spoke softly, dispassionately -- a seasoned doctor relating the symptoms of a common medical condition.

"And if I go with you?"

He smiled and spread his hands. "God alone knows."

"You so make it sound inviting."

"What would you have me say?" Embries asked. "That you will gain eternal fame and fortune, that you will blaze across the skies like a comet and your name will be written in the stars, that you will become the most revered human being in this or any other century -- is that what you want me to say? It might happen, but the truth is, I do not know. It might be ignominy and disaster; you might be reviled and villified. You might even be killed."

"Triumph or tragedy," James murmured.

Embries made no move, but his golden eyes darkened with a wild, almost savage, excitement. "Come with me, James. I cannot tell you what lies ahead, but I can promise you it will be the adventure of your life. Whatever happens, we will make a noise the world will never forget."
This struck such a chord in me, because this is exactly what Jesus offers when He calls us to follow Him! If we don't go with Him, He doesn't say there will be any immediate consequences -- we and the world will go on like we have always gone on, getting worse and worse until darkness falls. And He doesn't promise any success on this earth at all if we do go with Him -- there is the possibility of success -- triumph or tragedy. But whether it is going to be one or the other, He does not say ... He only promises us the adventure of our life. Who would say NO to that?!

________
Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 AM

sonatamoonlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What I see

God has lead me to volunteer at Department of Social Services. To be short and to the point it take alot of engery. I see people who don't have anything and still smile and don't get help they need, when others who are nasty and bitter toward god and everything walks away with all they could ask for. I feel that I one point I was bittered toward god and man. But god is humbling me at this job because I could care less about the adults most of them get themselves in that mess. However when I see single mother addict to drugs and they're living homeless and our kids have to suffer. I wonder what get purpose are in store for those children. Or for example a lady came in crying because she just lost her kids because Social Services took away her kid because "they label me a hoader" how do I tell her think are going to be alright how do I look in that kido face and say god is protecting you. I want to save them all but I can't. God I want to however when people don't want to change what can I do other than pray which I feel like that not helping. I am sorry that I a venting here I know god love his people and he protecting and putting a loving hand on those kido. But what can I do to other then what I have been doing bring in clothes, giving information for help, giving the encouragement, and giving them a listening ear. I just walk on home and I grab my son and I give him a big hug and I tell him I love and I'll never put my son in that position where he be taken away from me where I am a addicted etc. I am might be unemployed and volunteering for the government but I am still keeping a roof over our head I am finding ways to pay the bills. And god has provided, he has provided a great family and great friends who care about me. "And I know if you believe you recieve if you doubt you do without."-Pastor Tony Issac

Today this is the day the lord has made let us be glad and rejoice in it.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Beloved Disciple

Sonata, it is awesome that you volunteer and help people. You are doing what you can, based on where you are.

Are you wondering why people are the way they are? Or why some people don't have what they need? I don't know that there's any good answer for this, other than that we live in a fallen world.

________
Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 PM

sonatamoonlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Inkspot

Hi Inkspot,
I am sorry it took me so long to reply to you been busy with my son. Answer your questions, I am neither asking why or how. I'm venting because I know that every human has the power of choice is yet I don't understand why people make those decision or willing to get out of that situation instead people live in the powerlessness of our choices and believing that all thing are possible with Jesus Christ or whatever higher power greater than themselves. I understand God love what I don't understand sometimes is human and especially when it comes to our children and that's what make me cry, makes me love playing with them even more just to get a smile, makes me love more, and makes me pray harder. Human including myself is what is a challenge to understand and I keep watching others/myself and I just don't get it. I can understand emotion is the driving force to most human and I am one of them hence why I am talking this way. Sometime I just wish I knew what god is thinking and even then if I did I would probably cry!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Beloved Disciple

I believe what God was thinking, when He created people, was that it would be good to have some more beings to love. Since the Bible tells us God is love (1 John 4:8), I think probably He is always loving, even to the point of creating people to love. When He gave them free will, to choose an unwise path, I don't know what He was thinking, except perhaps He thought their love would be more genuine if they had a choice, to love Him or to reject Him? These are questions I think we cannot answer.

But as for why people make those unwise choices, and hurt other people, don't you suppose they, themselves, were hurt, and that pain short-circuited their own response mechanisms so that when they repeat the mistake and harm others, they don't realize they're doing it, and don't know any other way? Our First Parents handed us down a rotten sort of spiritual genetics, and if we do not know to let Christ transform us, how shall we do better?

________