The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > Christianity and Narnia

Notices

Christianity and Narnia The Allegory of the Chronicles of Narnia (Religion and Narnia Discussions)

Old 07-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice
Default Inkspot's Thread of Amazing Grace

As many on this site are believers or you could say Christ followers, I thought it would be nice to have a Thread where we can discuss how our faith contributes to our lives (or guides our lives as it were, illuminates them, what have you) and anyone who was interested in knowing more about why people would follow Christ could post their questions, and see different perspectives on the Christian experience.

Ground rule: no debates -- this isn't about theology, and this thread is based on the idea that every follower of Christ is a brother or sister in Christ, so there is no need for sniping at one another's different worship practices and so forth. Agreed? Good!

Just feel free to post whatever you like about God's grace, Jesus' love, how your faith helps you and inspires you, or any questions you have.

I'll start off with a look at grace, something I just love about God. Our pastor says mercy is avoiding a punishment you deserve, and grace is receiving a reward you don't deserve! How could God lavish such on us little people?! It's beyond comprehension.

And here is quote about CS Lewis from the book "What's So Amazing About Grace?" by Philip Yancey (which I highly recommend) to further elucidate:

During a British conference on comparative religions, experts from around the world debated what, if any, belief was unique to the Christian faith ... Incarnation? Other religions had different versions of gods appearing in human form. Resurrection? Again, other religions had accounts of return from death. The debate went on for sometime until CS Lewis wandered into the room. "What's the rumpus about?" he asked, and heard in reply that his colleagues were discussing Christianity's unique contribution among world religions. Lewis responded, "Oh, that's easy. It's grace." After some discussion, the conferees had to agree. The notion of God's love for us coming to us free of charge, no strings attached, seems to go against every instinct of humanity. The Buddhist eight-fold path, the Hindu doctrine of karma, the Jewish covenant, and Muslim code of lawβ€”each of these offers a way to earn approval. Only Christianity dares to make God's love unconditional.

This is what amazes me about God's love for me: it's total, absolute, unconditional; I did nothing to earn it and can do nothing to stop it. How sweet is that?!
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly •

Last edited by inkspot; 07-05-2005 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2005, 12:51 PM

Johan 72109 is on a distinguished road

The thing that... astounds me most about grace, is that, not only does it mean all our sins are forgiven, but it also lets us have a personal relationship with God. As in, be God's best friend.
Which is just... wow. Friends with the creator of the universe. Having the most incredibly powerful and benevolent being in the world taking in an interest in every aspect of our lives, even sharing our enjoyment of life, sharing our sadness when things go wrong.
In summary, for me grace means that, when I tell a joke, God laughs. I don't think there's anything nicer to know than that you can make God smile.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan 72109
In summary, for me grace means that, when I tell a joke, God laughs. I don't think there's anything nicer to know than that you can make God smile.
Well thank goodness! I cannot tell a joke correctly to save my life, one of those genetically un-funny people ... but the idea that God laughs even if my joke isn't funny, that's delightful! Thank you, Johan. This is exactly what I was hoping for in this thread -- reflections on what God's grace and your faith in Him mean to you.

Also anyone with any questions about what kind of difference faith can make in your life, feel free to post ...
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17

________
Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 PM

borntofly is on a distinguished road

Wow!! I know what you mean about the fact that you can make God smile Johan! I love those times when I can just sit and talk to Him and he listens, or when I just listen to Him. It's all made possible because of this awesome gift from him...grace! i'm super thankful that God loves in the midst of all the stupid stuff that I do, and he's always there to help me. God has to keep on teaching me over and over again because I'm so forgetful about the little things. I love God! He's amazing isn't he?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Beloved Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntofly
I love God! He's amazing isn't he?
Thank you, BTF -- exactly how I feel! God is amazing! and your post brings up something else I am learning about God: He doesn't expect us to be able to "clean up our act" overnight when we come to Him. He expects us to let HIM clean us up, day by day. When Jesus washed the feet of the disciples in John 13, I think it was a symbol that He knows we will get dirty from living in our fallen world -- just as our feets gets dirty from walking on them, you can't help it -- and that He would be there to clean us up if we just let Him. So if I forget my promise not to mutter curses under my breath when I'm put out, I know He'll forgive me and clean me up, and next time He'll remind me before I get carried away, and help me quit that bad habit. He's not about condemnation for His children, He's about saving us and giving us the strength to do what he wants us to. Whoa! What a deal.

________
Old 07-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Tweedledum

waterhogboy is on a distinguished road

A thing I love is like - afew days ago I was walking to school. I live out sort of in the country, just on the edge of an area called the Yorkshire Dales, so its really pretty!

As I was off up my road to the bustop, I looked out over the valley, and it was beautiful - it was a gorgeous hot day with no clouds and a deep blue sky. You can see a rock feature called Armscliffe Crag on the hilltop the other side with woodland and patchwork fields and then the sparkling river at the bottom. I just looked at it and thought - God made this, and its absolutely spiffin! He truly is amazing!

I am Sir Sanity's Bane
Old 07-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Beloved Disciple

Oh, yes, WHB! Very nice description, very wonderful attribute of God: Creator of the universe.

Somewhere in the bottom of the sea,living on these ugly fissures in the tectonic plates where noxious gases well up, are these tiny blind white shrimp, the only misbegotten creatures in the world that can live near those gases -- and not just live near them, but breathe them, thrive on them. They eat garbabge and breathe poison gas, and no one even knew they were there until deep-roving submersibles found them in the 1990's, and then no one could believe they survived in total darkness and breathed poison gas for life...

Except God knew they were there, cuz He put them there, and all these centuries He's been thinking, "Won't Inkspot get a kick out of these ridiculous shrimp when she learns about them?!" What a pranskter He is!

________
Old 07-05-2005, 05:53 PM

Johan 72109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot
Except God knew they were there, cuz He put them there, and all these centuries He's been thinking, "Won't Inkspot get a kick out of these ridiculous shrimp when she learns about them?!" What a pranskter He is!
Hehehe... God really must have the most amazing sense of humour... I can just see him now, laughing at NASA as he goes... 'Yup. I know what's on every single one of those planets, and what goes round every single one of those stars. And y'know what? You're going to see every one too, one day, and you won't need to spend billions of dollars on it either .'

Man, this thread really does make me feel rather happy. Cheers you guys!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:36 PM

borntofly is on a distinguished road

When I was at the beach a while ago, I was just kind of hanging out in the water and when I looked over and saw some of God's creations...dolphins! They were right there! It was (as my older sister says) a kiss from God. God "kisses" us everyday with his grace and evrything good in the world around us! He must really love us if he made so many awesome things for us to enjoy, like those shrimp, or dolphins, or whatever.

On Saturday i went to the beach again and it was red tide. The water was really yucky because of the plankton and algae or something. Anyway when it got dark the waves were glowing/phospheresent because of the red tide and I thought, 'this is really cool.' Then as I walked along the beach I realized that every time I put my foot into the sand and picked it up, the sand in my footprint glowed just like the waves and then faded and I thought, 'this is even cooler!'. I started jumping aropund in the sand and drawing in it and laughing. God gave me an unexpected "kiss." I had no idea that something so gross like red tide could be so awesome. Just thought I'd share that...I like to be amazed by God and this was one of those moments.

Last edited by borntofly; 07-05-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Beloved Disciple

Yes, I like that very much! An unexpected delight that could only have come about by God's hand. Kisses from God!

And I really do think God has the most fabulous sense of humor, in part because we are made in His image, and we have such a great capacity to laugh.

Even more, I think He has a huge capacity for joy -- and I think when we catch on to the gifts He is giving us in little things like phosphorence in the ocean, it brings Him joy, too. How many people would just go, "Red tide, yuck!!!" and never discover that there was something lovely in it?

He likes to surprise us!

________