The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

Notices

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 06-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Admin and Webmaster

Specter has disabled reputation
Default The Purpose of this Forum

I just got a private message from a concerned member about this forum. I explained it to this member like this:

The purpose of the forum is to have a place for the discussions that wouldn't fit in the Christianity and Narnia forum. Plus, it should be a very mature conversation area, where people go and post only in a charitable way, thinking not only of themselves, but of others as well. It is my hope that it brings about fruitful discussion and that feelings are not hurt, but that people begin to understand things. Lewis didn't shy away from doing the same thing at Oxford, and many intelligent minds went through there.
Quote:
The first Socratic Club was formed in the 1940s, at Oxford University, by C. S. Lewis in order to provide "an open forum for the discussion of the intellectual difficulties connected with religion and with Christianity in particular" (The Socratic Digest, No. 1 (194243), p. 6).
I hope you understand what I mean.

Paul
Old 08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Hey Narnia Fans, please note: this thread is for the discussion of philosophy, not lifestyle choices. We are a family friendly forum, so please don't open a discussion on something shocking -- just to start a fight or whatever. If you have a genuine philosophicl question, please post it, but let's not be too controversial. That gets people angry, and the pursuit of truth just gets lost in the high tempers. If you do open a controversial discussion which is not philosophical in nature, it may be deleted by a mod.

Thanks for your cooperation!
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly