The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > The Inklings

Notices

The Inklings The best-known members of the group were C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Charles Williams.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Goldenrod22 is on a distinguished road
Default Would another C.S. Lewis please step forward?

Here's what I wish for. Why can't more writers try their hand at innocent, fairy-tale like stories such as LWW? Sure, C.S. Lewis is a master writer and storyteller, but I think that what he tried to do has not been tried again for a long time. Remember how popular 'Harry Potter' was when it first came out? I think the biggest reason why is because of the imagination that went into it, not the storyline so much. If other people tryed to write a (better) kids story again like that, what kind of impact would it make??! C'mon, writers. The next generation of kids needs new, classic good-hearted 'fairy tales' to grow up with.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 PM

The Prince is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to The Prince Send a message via Yahoo to The Prince

Ya'know I would Kinda like to try but A.Im young mabey too much and B.Thats not My type of writing sorry but I cant help

A big thank you to Lost Dreamer for the image. Need one ourself
I can't feel my faith can't recall my crime
I think I sealed my fate along the way I may have lost my mind
I guess we're all damaged in our own way
Sun doesn't rise at all
Who knows how far I'll fall
Sun doesn't rise at all
Welcome my downfall
Sun doesn't rise at all
MushroomHead
Old 03-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Harley Quinn *growls*

tgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to tgraveline Send a message via MSN to tgraveline Send a message via Yahoo to tgraveline

Hey man, i'm working on my own right now actually, i really just need more time to write it. I have the plot line figured out, and some of the fun stuff is done, but yeah, more creative stuff will have to come, but mine is placed in the real world though.

tg

"They Greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint (From the Usual Suspects)

Hey, follow me on twitter @tsgraveline http://twitter.com/tsgraveline

Blog: tsgraveline.blogspot.com All about my awesome writing
Old 03-15-2005, 09:47 PM

Wallis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Writing a story

One important thing to remember when writing a story is that we do not want to copy something that is already out there.

I've written my share of stories (a few are available on my website), and the lesson I have learned over the years is that imitation is nice, but originality is more desired.

I see that there have been references linking LOTR and CON. Tolkien and Lewis were friends at some levels and corresponded with each other. What they shared was a love of mythological lore.

In any future allegory (BTW, Tolkien claimed many times that his trilogy was not an allegory of any kind), the world that is created for the enjoyment (and possibly education) of the reader should be fresh and exciting. Look at how many different ways the Bible relates it stories: parable, poem, short story, allegory, history.

So, if an aspiring writer wishes to bring the concepts of Christian love and redemption alive under a new guise--even in the "now" world, there are so many fresh ways to tell the old, old story. And not just a rehash of something formalaic that worked before, a problem that still plagues the entertainment media.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Harley Quinn *growls*

tgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud oftgraveline has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to tgraveline Send a message via MSN to tgraveline Send a message via Yahoo to tgraveline

yes yes, i do not believe my story will be much of a rehash of their stuff, mine takes place in the world we live in today, but with historical facts mixed with fiction. So to not give away too much, there you have it.

tg

"They Greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint (From the Usual Suspects)

Hey, follow me on twitter @tsgraveline http://twitter.com/tsgraveline

Blog: tsgraveline.blogspot.com All about my awesome writing
Old 03-22-2005, 03:21 AM

Euphrates has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Someone needs to write the story of what happened in Charn before Digory awakened Jadis. The story of Charn and the early life of Jadis would certainly be a story worth reading! The deplorable word and such... ooooh I can picture it now. What a wonderful story that would be!

I've got this theory about Jadis' family being the ruling class of spiritual beings on Charn that lived the corporeal bodies of the people of Charn. It's actually quite an interesting theory that preserves events in the Chronicles. I just don't have enough time to think it through and write about it. Oh, the life of a working college student. Alas.
________
Dodge Warlock history

Last edited by Euphrates; 01-28-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice
Default Sounds good

That sounds like a great story, Euphrates.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 03-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Tweedledum

waterhogboy is on a distinguished road

That could be really interesting because you have the scope to write almost anything you wish. Very little is mentioned about Charn so you can make up your own ideas.

I am Sir Sanity's Bane
Old 04-05-2005, 06:03 PM

Legolas1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You are so right!

GoldenRod22, you are so right! I always wish there were more innocent fairytales, but not fairytales exactly... more like Narnia, which isn't exactly a fairytale.
I've been trying to work on it myself, but I always come up with a super idea and then realize it's been used before!
Lol, so you can see the problem... besides, publishers don't usually like Kids work.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice
Default Did you read

I should put this in the "What Are You Reading?" thread, but did anyone read "Shadowmancer" and "Wormwood" by someone named Taylor? They are kids' books. I just got them today. A friend of mine told me he has a shot at writing the screenplay for Wormwood if the first one, Shadowmancer (which is being produced now, I take it) does well as a movie. It sounded interesting.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly