The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia

Notices

The Chronicles of Narnia The Narnia Novels, all things Narnia, related to the books

Old 09-29-2004, 06:54 PM

cslouis is an unknown quantity at this point

That is very insightful. Yes, I would say that is true... Sort of like pennance.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Cool Hat Productions

Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

I always read into the washing the sword like washing other people's feet. Like how Jesus says when a man enters a house he needn't wash his whole body but just his feet. (paraphrased) It's shaking the dust of the world from us so we can appear clean before God and before each other.

I find the washing of the sword another means to demonstrate this.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:05 PM

Yes. The feet are also the most undesired place to touch amongst people. So the act of washing feet is to really subjegate yourself in the Old Book. So that he washed feet and also let a woman annoint his feet is really something strange and new.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:57 AM
I'mbigger/you'reolder

I think that I've said this once or twice already, but here's my favorite quote, and the reason of my SN.
"Aslan" said Lucy "you're bigger."
"That is because you are older, little one." Answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger." [Prince Caspian]
That's one of the coolest things I'd ever read in my life. I found that it is so true in our relationships with God.
My second favorite would have to be:
"...[basically the paragraph preceding]But as soon as I looked at myself in the water, I knew it had been no good. Then the lion said--but I don't know if it spoke--You will have to let me undress you. I was afraid of his claws, I can tell you, but I was pretty nearly desperate now. So I just lay flat on my back and let him do it....[basically the next paragraph] It hurts like billy-oh, but it is such fun seeing it coming away." [The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"]
Old 10-12-2004, 11:04 AM

I haven't read that one yet. Prince Caspian. That is a great set of quotations. I think that this reflects one of the greatest truisms that I have learned which is one experiences the responsibiltiy of God only to the extent that one is truly ready. God expands to fill your cup.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:46 PM

Warrior-Poet51088 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Jene Sai@Sep 27 2004, 10:48 PM
In LW&W I vividly remember Aslan scolding Peter for not remembering to clean his sword after the battle.

Even as a child it struck me how beautifully this illustrated the value of a clean conscience.
I always thought that was just something practical that needed to be done to be ready for the next battle-- ya know, so the sword wouldn't rust. Maybe it's something like, "if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrigtheousness." (1 John 5:9)
I don't know about y'all, but as soon as I don't take the time to confess a given sin, I get dragged down by more and more sins.
This is an excellent passage.

And the one that was quoted earlier (Digory in front of Aslan, and Aslan crying)---that's extremely emotional. It's hard for me to complain if I've been thinking about all Christ went through.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:21 PM

Warrior-Poet51088 is an unknown quantity at this point

The verse I quoted is actually 1 John 1:9, not 5:9. My bad.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:22 PM

eeyorebrat is an unknown quantity at this point

"There are only three possibilities. Either your sister is telling lies, or she is mad, or she is telling the truth. You know she doesn't tell lies and it is obvious that she is not mad. For the moment then and unless any further evidence turns up, we must assume that she is telling the truth." - The Professor in LWW

"My dear young lady," said the Professor..."there is one plan which no one has yet suggested and which is well worth trying."
"What's that?' said Susan.
"We might all try minding our own business." said he. And that was the end of that conversation.
- LWW

The Professor was defiinitely my favorite in LWW, I loved his way with words.

"Got to start by finding it, have we?" answered Puddleglum. "Not allowed to start by looking for it I suppose?" - SC

"Well, I wouldn't have dreamt her doing that. Even though I am a good-looking chap." - Puddleglum in SC

Puddleglum was my other favorite, he's so gloomy.
Off highway 109 on an old street sign
She's a believer now . . .
She's leaving lonely behind.
Leaving Lonely - Paul Alan
Old 10-19-2004, 01:47 PM

Rhindon is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite is when Digory asks Aslan if he has something that will heal his mother.

Up until then Digory has been looking at the lion's great feet and the huge claws on them. Now in his despair, he looked up at its face. What he saw surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For the tawny face was bent down near his own. And wonder of wonders great shining tears stood in the lion's eyes. They were such big bright tears compared with Digory's own that for a moment he felt the lion must really be sorrier about his mother than he was himself.

"My son... My son... I know. Grief is great. Only you and I know that yet. Let us be good to one another."
Old 11-02-2004, 09:43 PM

Valiant4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't posted many things, but if you've read any of them you probably already know how much i luv mystical, enchanting things, for instance, dryads. Thats why i luv this part in PC.

"Oh trees, trees, trees" said Lucy "oh trees, wake, wake, wake. Don't you remember it?.Don't you remember me? Dryads and Hamadryads, come out, come to me!"
Though there was not a break of wind they all stirred about her. The rustling noise of the leaves was almost words.

I just really love that!..it reminds me of angels..lol..i know you guys probably think that sounds crazy..lol...but i think its enchanting.....
Forever we hold...
To what is right.
Forver....and ever....
VALIANT