The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

Notices

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice
Default It's the culture...

In light of the trainwreck of 2017, I love this article that Prince of the West shared on his facebook. In fact I love it so much I just spent the last hour posting it to some of my groups and reading it aloud to my best friend/husband. Enjoy (and weep).

"Be not afraid. But also..."

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

"But also, be not an idiot."

It's far too easy to go through life on a sort of autopilot, without thinking about the major results of all our minor choices.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Here's one of the excellent things said in the article:

Frankly, this is the culture weve built for ourselves, constructed on promises of sex without commitment or consequence, violence as entertainment, and the pursuit of personal appetites at any cost.

Indeed so. I can't quantify how much of a proportion, but there can be no doubt that SOME of the violent crimes committed in America today are committed because the criminal had been taught by pop culture that he HAD A RIGHT to expect limitless fun, comfort and pleasure. At some point, the criminal didn't get something he wanted, and he chose to be angry, imagining that he had been "robbed" of a rightful entitlement.

Mister Lewis wrote about this very same psychological phenomenon, saying that the more satisfactions we think we HAVE A RIGHT TO, the easier it is for us to be angry if we don't have things our own way.

For that matter, I seem to recall that the Book of James mentions people resorting to violence because they don't have what they want.