The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles of Narnia - The Films and Games > BBC and Animated Narnia

Notices

BBC and Animated Narnia The BBC Chronicles and the Animated LWW

Old 08-19-2017, 04:07 AM

Princess Frances is on a distinguished road
Default Who prefers BBC Narnia?

To me, for all the CGI and extra money, the films aren't as good as BBC Narnia in a crucial aspect: the movies make you feel like your witnessing an epic, while because of their lower budget and production values, the BBC Chronicles feel like you're having a cosy, intimate adventure with friends.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:46 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Well said, Princess Frances. In the Chronicles the battles are not the main point -- yet the climax of Prince Caspian the movie and LWW was all about the fighting.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 PM

tirian_son_of_erlian will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to tirian_son_of_erlian

I agree. They're awesome. In fact, back in 2005 when I first heard they were making new Narnia movies, my original thought was that I hoped they were going to pick up right where they left off and film the last three stories BBC style.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 PM

dawnpatrol is on a distinguished road

I received the BBC boxed set as a gift long ago and loved it. The low-budget added to it's charm IMO and from what I remember, was truer to the source material than the latest movies.

The Silver Chair - the actress who plays the green witch did an awesome job. She also played the white witch I believe.

I need to watch these again.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:14 PM

The BBC stopped adapting them because the money got pulled. The Horse and his Boy was in preproduction when it was canceled.

I don't know how they'd have done The Last Battle, though. It's pure didacticism in the way the other books are not - although both it and The Horse and His Boy have some Middle Eastern stereotypes that would be seen as pretty racist now. I'm sure they'd have filmed Horse in 1991 if the money had been there - after all, Disney did Aladdin, which is also full of raging stereotypes. But I'm not so sure about now.

Silver Chair, mind you, is one of the best books of the series, and quite inoffensive. It's one of the least messagey, too.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

Ha, at least Calormen isn't actually supposed to be the Middle East. Aladdin...let's just say that, for a bunch of people who are supposed to be medieval Muslims, they are about as unrealistic as it gets.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 AM

For me it's TVoTDT that's the dealbreaker in "BBC vs. films" - Movie Lucy and the beauty spell... which Movie Lucy doesn't need!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 AM

tirian_son_of_erlian will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to tirian_son_of_erlian

The BBC Dawn Treador is a phenomenal masterpiece. The sequences in Coriakin's home are perfectly charming.

As for the Calormenes, Lewis was fearlessly prophetic in depicting the most barbaric principles of Islam (I think Tirian's horror at Aslan being called Tash, the god who fed off the blood of his people, summarizes that quite well). I would expect the same fearlessness from the producers of any true adaptation of The Last Battle.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

In regard to the Calormenes, I do think it's important to keep in mind that Lewis probably was influenced by medieval misconceptions about Islam like The Song of Roland. In the epic, the Muslims are depicted as polytheists who dabble in black magic. I'm sure Lewis knew that is extremely incorrect. But if you're interested in adding color to your fantasy world, the inaccurate descriptions of Islam could serve as a stimulus of sorts, which I'm guessing is what they were to Lewis. At any rate, I don't think he was trying to make any point about Islam as such in how he depicted the Calormenes.

What I hope is that the Calormenes will be depicted accurately to the book if any future movie adaptation is made--Aravis's and Emeth's decisions to oppose their people would take on less meaning if the Calormenes were toned down in hopes of not offending the usual suspects. Filming HHB before TLB might help avoid that problem, as HHB shows broader Calormene culture in a non-apocalyptic context. Not holding my breath, though.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:12 PM
Friend of Narnia

MrBob has a spectacular aura aboutMrBob has a spectacular aura about

"Movie Lucy and the beauty spell... which Movie Lucy doesn't need!"

Princess, remember that it doesn't matter what others think about you, but how you think of yourself. That was the problem with Lucy. In fact, Lewis stated at the end of LWW that Susan and Lucy both grew up to be desirable to the kings and princes.

BBC did a far better job at following the story of PC and VotDT than the movies. We'll have to see how the filmmakers handle TSC, but they do have a great BBC miniseries to look up to.

MrBob

What's magic? Nothing but the ability to do what everybody knows is impossible.
...Only my dear little witch, just remember that nothing is impossible.

Marlowe to Anna Maria Rosalita
"Flight to the Lonesome Place" by Alexander Key