The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Professor's Writing Club

Notices

The Professor's Writing Club Poetry, Fan Fiction, etc

Old 01-29-2009, 05:50 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all
Default The First Love Of Alipang Havens

~ ~ ~ This is my adaptation, and continuation, of what was a promising roleplay, "Homeschoolers in Highschool." It centers around the chief character I played there, and is authored now by me; but I have invited input from those who played in the old thread with me, as to how I should portray their former characters. I begin, though, years before any of the "onstage" events of the roleplay.

PROLOGUE: THE INVOLUNTARY SAVAGE

DECEMBER 2000:

A brown-skinned boy, with more scars on his body than there were trees in his view, followed the stirring of tropical grass, offering a chance of something to eat.

There were more than a hundred homeless or poorly-watched children in this tropical slum area on the major island of Luzon in the Philippine Republic; but only one in this neighborhood routinely carried a downward-curved parang knife. It came from a junkyard--rather, the steel part of it had been there, with the hilt splintered away. The boy had found material to wrap the tang of the blade, so the knife could be used again. He had never harmed any human being with his salvaged parang, except in self-defense; but the weapon had killed quite a few.....

Snakes, like the one he had cornered now. With the sturdy forked stick in his left hand, he soon had its head pinned; then his blade chopped through its neck. The same blade would skin it, after which he would eat it raw--sharing it with two of his friends who had no better provider.

This was nine-year-old Alipang Dumagat, son of Mateo and Yolanda Dumagat, elder brother of Esperanza Dumagat. But the others had all died about two years ago. Near the end of
1998, when the boy was barely seven, his mother had sacrificed her life to save her husband when a Philippine brown cobra had bitten him; she had sucked out enough of the venom to keep him from dying--but had died herself as the venom entered her blood through a decayed tooth. Her sacrifice had been made for an unworthy man--who took to abusing his children, finally killing his own little daughter for fun after beating the boy senseless. The authorities had put Mateo Dumagat to death for his crime; but the bereaved Alipang, with no relatives living nearby, had slipped through society's cracks, becoming a bitter young survival machine.

Yet as he struggled to live, he had a lock of his mother's hair to remind him of the two loved ones who watched him from Heaven; and sometimes he could hear Mama and Esperanza praying for him: praying that God would give him a new family.

If this were ever granted to him, Alipang promised Mama and Esperanza that he would be worthy of their prayers, and would be to the new family the good son and brother he had tried to be for them while he had them.

But he still had two more years of horror and misery to endure before the American missionary family named Havens would come into his life....

Last edited by Copperfox; 05-14-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Friend of Narnia

The Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the rough

Horror and Misery is good!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Watch out, though, Bethany; now love and compassion are showing up!

TWO YEARS LATER:

Cecilia Havens, wife of a dentist who was serving as a World Vision missionary in the Philippines, had had a remarkable dream. In it, she and her husband Eric had been in the jungle, following a trail of blood, thinking there might be some person hurt and in need of help. What they found was a wild pig, gashed with many wounds, ugly and savage and desperate.

Cecilia had been terrified of the animal in the dream; but Eric had walked right up to the pig, touching it directly on its dangerous tusks--and at that touch, the pig had turned into a Filipino boy, who appeared the same age as the Havens' eleven-year-old adopted white American daughter Chilena. Then the boy had run straight to Cecilia and hugged her, crying, "Mother!"

That same identical boy, in the waking world, was now sitting in one of two chairs in a Philippine National Police station, his face dull with despair, his hands cuffed and his ankles shackled. In the other chair sat Dr. Havens, who had earned much local goodwill with his donated dental services...who had become aware of this orphan boy's case...and who spoke fluent Tagalog.

"He was caught serving as a gang mule, smuggling shabu," a policeman explained in English, using a Filipino term for the methamphetamine brought into the Philippines by Chinese gangsters. "We know he was forced to do it; the real criminals don't want to get a death sentence from the Special Dangerous Drug Court, so they try to stay anonymous and invisible. But we've been questioning him for whatever information we can obtain."

Eric nodded. "When you've got what you can get out of him, I'd like to see if I can help him."

The officer lifted an eyebrow. "Help him how much? He's too old to be adopted."

"Not if God helps the adopting parents." Eric felt a momentum building in his spirit even as he said this. But of course, he needed to talk to the boy. Switching to Tagalog, he began:

"Alipang Dumagat? That's your name, right? My name is Eric Havens. I'm an American, and a dentist--you know, a doctor for people's teeth."

He was surprised when this caused the boy to look up at him with sudden interest, saying, "You make teeth better? I wish you had been here four years ago; you could have saved my Mama from dying, and then my sister would have lived too." But he did not elaborate further, so Eric went on:

"The police here trust me, and they told me how you were forced into a gang that used you to run their errands. They told me of all the wounds you got in their gang initiation. You must have been very brave, to bear all that pain."

The boy spoke again. "Sir, my ancestors were Moros on Mindanao; pain in the body means little to us. But there is worse pain: the pain of everyone you love dying, and being unable to save them." His articulate speech impressed the missionary dentist; inside the hardened slum dweller there was a mind rich in both intelligence and feeling.

Eric laid a hand on the boy's shoulder; the boy flinched, but then visibly forced himself to suppress the alarmed reaction. "I'm sorry if a man touching you upsets you," said Eric mildly. "I'll try not to touch you again unless you say it's all right. I also know something about your father..."

Now there was fire in the boy's eyes. "I have no father, I _never_ had a father! Only a beast who cared for no one but himself, and who _murdered_ my sister because he _enjoyed_ hurting people weaker than he! But he's burning and screaming in H-ll now, and I'm _glad_ he is!"

Alipang Dumagat meant every word of this, with all the force he gave it; but he was unprepared for the American stranger's response. Instead of striking him and warning him not to speak ill of any adult...the American dentist was... shedding TEARS. Never in his life had Alipang known any grownup male human being to weep with compassion for the nightmarish life an orphan boy had lived; but this white stranger was doing exactly that.

It was a beginning.

The beginning of complex events which would fulfill Cecilia's God-sent dream, transforming the homeless and embittered Alipang Dumagat into the adopted and loved Alipang Havens.

Last edited by Copperfox; 11-10-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Insert reference to Alipang's Moro ancestry
Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Friend of Narnia

The Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperfox View Post
Watch out, though, Bethany; now love and compassion are showing up!
NO!!!
*screams in horror*
Not love and compassion! ANYthing but that!
*faints*

Good story, though.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

Ginny_JillPole is an unknown quantity at this point

"Instead of striking him and warning him not to speak ill of any adult...the white dentist was...shedding TEARS. Never in his life had Alipang known any male human being to weep with compassion for the nightmarish life an orphan boy had lived; but the stranger was doing exactly that..."

Gosh! that just... touched me. Keep it on, professor! I like it
Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Friend of Narnia

~Grateful * Surrender~ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ~Grateful * Surrender~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Grateful * Surrender~

its interesting

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Friend of Narnia

FIVE MONTHS LATER (still in the Philippines):

"I comed home and I sleeped all over the night."

"Not quite, Al," said Chilena softly. "It's 'I _came_ home and _slept_ all night.' You don't have to say 'over' with 'all' in this one." They were sitting under a papaya tree reviewing his English conversation skills.

Although it had been her own dream that foretold Alipang's entrance into their life, Cecilia had been afraid of him for a long time, especially afraid for blonde, pretty, emotionally delicate Chilena's sake, as well as little Melody whom they had adopted from China shortly before coming to the Philippines. Afraid at first that in his frequent sudden rages, the wild boy, extremely strong for his size, would injure his new sisters--but in fact, he never hurt them at all, nor threatened to hurt them or Cecilia. When he went crazy, it was always against his new father; and even then, he always ended up clinging to him and begging forgiveness, which Eric always gave.

So then Cecilia's fears had assumed a new form, which in fairness to her was not altogether unreasonable. What if, upon starting to mature, and knowing that Chilena was NOT his actual sister, Alipang were to start having feelings for her which would be completely normal if not related by law, but impermissible once the sibling relationship had been created? This, both parents had prayed about often; and Eric had undertaken to make sure, very tactfully, that Alipang understood what was and wasn't possible.

But Alipang gave no sign of wanting Chilena to be anything other than a sister to him; and after an uneasy beginning, the boy and both of his sisters had bonded with all of the wholesome tenderness their parents could have hoped for. It needed no supernatural revelation to see that Alipang had transferred to these girls his love for his departed sister Esperanza.

That he was highly intelligent was indisputable; but he still needed plenty of psychological support. Because of this, Cecilia, already homeschooling Chilena, intended to keep it up with Alipang too, after their soon return to the United States and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Friend of Narnia

Nightcrawler_Fan is on a distinguished road

Awesome. Now I actually get to figure out what happened to Alipang before the RPG.

Please check out my graphics thread:
http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23010

I now have deviantART! Please look! http://empowered-heroine.deviantart.com/

And my story thread:
http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26738
Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Card Captor

Gentle Voice will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Gentle Voice

very cool I love it :]

the really pretty banner is by -Jewel the Unicorn-
Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Friend of Narnia

You should, sweets; you're a character in it!