The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > Cair Paravel > Queen Susan's Horn

Notices

Queen Susan's Horn For announcements on the board.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM

Pardine has a spectacular aura aboutPardine has a spectacular aura about
Default Something weird going on here..

So let's chat a bit about security.

I know a great deal about software engineering, been in this field for ten years.

When I logged onto the site just now, I couldn't help but notice that firefox was giving me the "this login is insecure" on the login and password fields. This means your passwords here are being sent in clear, plaintext. That's not good at all and presents a serious risk. In the next few months to year, that warning will start appearing on chrome, edge, and other browsers, and will eventually _NOT_ allow things to be sent. Meaning, eventually if this is not remedied, we will not be able to log into this forum.

And then, when I did log in, I got to see that I was logged in as Copperfox. Now, I'm not a nosy person, but I was curious how far this goes, so I can say that I definitely saw PMs to and from Copperfox. And conversations, and the whole nine yards. That's also concerning, something is very seriously wrong here.

Just some things I noticed since I hadn't been here for awhile.

Pardine
Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Captain Holly has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Holly has a spectacular aura about

I'm logged in as Mozart the Meerkitten on the front page, and able to see Lady Narnia's private messages.

This is kind of a big deal that needs to be rectified. Like, right now.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

I am very concerned and have notified Specter, who owns this site that somehow our accounts are getting really mixed up. Change your passwords if you can and as soon as Specter gets back to me I will post in this thread to give an all clear -- hopefully sooner rather than later. I am so sorry this glitch is happening
Benisse

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Admin and Webmaster

Specter has disabled reputation

Hey, Pardine! Would you be up to giving me a hand with researching this, how to fix it, ssl and the like? I would be able to pay you for your help. We may want to move servers for the forum to a different host as well, and I'm open to suggestions. This would probably be the time to move the forum to something like narniaforums.com or narniaforum.com (I have both). Let me know if you're up for it!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Admin and Webmaster

Hey everyone! We are aware of issues with the forum and we're in the midst of working on fixing them.

If anyone is willing to lend a hand, please e-mail us and tell us what your skills are that you can contribute.

One concept that I have is moving the forum to its' own server (if you have a host that you know would be good for this kind of forum, do suggest it).

It would be at it's own url, like NarniaForums.com or NarniaForum.com then (we have both, so it's just a matter of what people like).
Old 05-06-2017, 12:57 PM

Lucy Fan will become famous soon enough

A lot of people are experiencing these glitches, such as logging in and seeing someone else's name up. I don't know if the website has been hacked because it seems to be numerous glitches occurring. But, we as a community have been updating the mods in the section called Forum Issues when glitches occur so they definitely know about them. I understand your concern for security, but these glitches aren't the fault of the MODS here, because this place has been very safe for a very long time and something has suddenly broken through. But, the MODS are working on whatever is going on.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Fernie, who has been busy in babyland (congrats Fernie on your precious llttle one!) asked if I would post her observations and experience with this weird glitch.

FERNIE: Ok, I have been distracted in baby land and have been on in forever. However, I am currently logged in as Captain Holly. Logged out. Captain Holly again?
... makes me wonder how many people have been me... *shifty eyes*
and now I am specter... wow much higher temptation

haha and I have a problem in that I can't remember my password and it won't accept the redirect form that it sends me to my email... strange times
ok, so the thing I mentioned last seems in line with what Pardine was saying about eventually not being able to log in. Could someone post in the "Something Weird Going On" thread my observation, so we have it on the record. Though I am Spector, I can't post lol

I think that what we are experiencing is a progression from our difficulties with the sign-in procedure, that is when you sign in but then have to refresh the page before your sign-in "takes." Now when I enter the sight I never know who I am going to be, but I can still sign in if I click on replying to some thread and the sign in boxes then appear and I can get in that way after refreshing the page. I haven't tried starting a new thread yet though. I wonder what will happen?

Thank you everyone for your prayers and patience while Specter and friends address these issues. And thank you for your patience during this glitch season.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 05-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Fresh Bread?

fernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the rough

Well, it almost seems as if the forum is capturing users to "host" different parts of the forum. I am always Specter on the main page or Captain Holly. I am Miss Freckles in the Land of the Duffers, and the new member in the private messages. It would seem that mods will now be me when viewing the Mod thread area?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Admin and Webmaster

Progress is being made!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Captain Holly has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Holly has a spectacular aura about

Finally, now I'm famous.