The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles of Narnia - The Films and Games > Hunt for the White Stag

Notices

Hunt for the White Stag Discuss Future Narnia Films here!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Friend of Narnia

Narborg is on a distinguished road
Default who should play lewis and tolkien

I though some of you guys might get a laugh or two out of this article I saw today...

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/cult...ut-their-lives

Suggestions (serious of funny) as to who could play Lewis or Tolkien welcome below.

Note to self: need to change Signature sometime.......
Old 07-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Friend of Narnia

CORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura about

The late Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. I know they are associated with horror films, and Christopher Lee has often (not always) been cast as a villain, even in non horror films. Nevertheless they always worked together very well, and are such talented actors (were in Peter Cushing's case as, sadly, he is no longer with us) that I think they'd do a superb job playing these two great authors. That's my opinion, anyway, for what it's worth!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Lee and Cushing did make a terrific team.

I'm sorry to say that many Hollywood film directors would make casting choices as grossly wrong as the ones presented humorously in the article. I haven't forgotten Uma Thurman being cast as Emma Peel, solely because she was "marketable" at the time.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice
Default Hilarious!

Thanks for the link to the article, I loved it! And I loved their suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with very many middle-aged or younger actors (aside from the Sherlock cast and former Dr Who's), so I don't have any real suggestions. I love the Patrick Stewart Ian McKellan idea, but they're too old now for the time of life the film will be portraying.

OK, what about 2 former Doctors? David Tennant for CSL, and Christopher Eccelston for JRRT. Dream team!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.13.00 AM.jpg (16.5 KB, 55 views)
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan look like they'll pull ALL their muscles if they try to kick that ball they're holding!

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by BarbarianKing; 07-23-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbarianKing View Post
Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan look like they'll pull ALL their muscles if they try to kick that ball they're holding!
They are in their 70's! Did you see ... some mini-series ... "Theater Land" or some'at like that? It's a documentary about the two of them performing "Waiting for Godot" on stage. It's interesting to think about their dealing with the same troubles as other elderly folks, trying to memorize lines with a more and more faulty memory, or needing a nap and whatnot. Gandalf and Picard seem immortal, but Ian and Patrick surely not.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly

Last edited by BarbarianKing; 07-23-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Friend of Narnia

The Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the rough

I don't care if Sirs Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart are too old, they'd do a great job.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

I don't see Ian McKellen OR Patrick Stewart in any film about these two men if the filmmakers keep true to who those two men were. It goes without me really explaining that both Stewart and McKellen are pretty anti-Christian people (McKellen especially so).

As for who could play the two, I don't know. I don't think I would worry so much about the casting as I would about the content of the film. Will they water down Lewis' struggle to convert to Christianity? Will they gloss over the fact that Lewis and Tolkien were strong Christian men?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Friend of Narnia

The Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the roughThe Spanish Inquisition is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravis Kenobi View Post
I don't see Ian McKellen OR Patrick Stewart in any film about these two men if the filmmakers keep true to who those two men were. It goes without me really explaining that both Stewart and McKellen are pretty anti-Christian people (McKellen especially so).

As for who could play the two, I don't know. I don't think I would worry so much about the casting as I would about the content of the film. Will they water down Lewis' struggle to convert to Christianity? Will they gloss over the fact that Lewis and Tolkien were strong Christian men?
Just because someone isn't a Christian, that doesn't mean they can't play one. Actors play people that are incredibly different from them all the time. it's their job.
The two are such good friends in real life that it'd be cool to see that chemistry onscreen. I think they'd do a fantastic job, but if we're being realistic, they're too old.

I do wonder if they'll gloss over the Christianity as well. Or if they'll gloss over the Roman Catholicism of Tolkien and the Anglo-catholicism of Lewis in order to appeal to the evangelical crowd......time will tell, I suppose.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

I disagree. McKellen has been so vehemently anti-Christian that I doubt he would take on a role in such a film, especially if they don't gloss over the faith of the two. now, if they water it down to nothingness, he'd probably entertain the idea. Stewart may not be quite so adamantly against Christianity, but again, if they don't water the story down I don't think he'd take it.

What about Anthony Hopkins for Lewis? I haven't seen much of his work, but he looks kind of like Lewis....