New Forum URL Help

At which URL should the Dancing Lawn be found?

• NarniaForum.com

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • NarniaForums.com

Votes: 49 76.6%

• Total voters
Actually, I think the correct plural of 'forum' is 'fora'. But 'forums' works as well.

The correct plural of forum is, in fact, fora.

I don't want you to use the term "fora" because it sounds like flora, which reminds me of a jungle. I don't like jungles, because they are too many wild duffers hiding in the thickets. *shivers*

I voted for forums.

"Forums" has become accepted through usage the same way Americans refer to a single datum as "data" even though that's plural. Pedantically speaking, you can never have one piece of data.

And just like this, I'm also starting to work on getting the forum moved to what I hope will be a more stable server. I'm also planning on running some updates to the forum software so that it'll be on the latest version of vBulletin.

With this will come a few things:

The forum will be available at www.narniaforums.com

The forum will lose its' current design (which is, itself, about 10 years old now, and has never been changed).

The forum will need a new design created for it.

I'm interested in upgrading to the latest stable version of vBulletin 4, I think. But I'm not really sure. Apparently vB has had many many problems since version 3. A lot of people are moving from vB to things like xenforo. I'm concerned about doing anything that will break things.

http://xenforo.com/
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-use-vbulletin-5-i-want-to-use-xenforo.53616/

Interestingly, the more I read about xenforo, the more it sounds like it'd be the correct way to go. vBulletin, according to simple internet searches, is a dying software. Most major forums that used to use vB have switched to places like xenforo.

One reason: spam. It's no coincidence that it's very difficult to even register to join this forum. Every time we've tried to open the forum to new members, spam users inundated us, and we had to close it.

Any thoughts, questions, concerns?

I'm pretty sure that the facebook integration is only into the registration process, and only if someone wanted to register using their facebook account. I'm sure it's not a necessary component.

Alrighty, I looked at an example website running xenforo (myhorsefriends.dk) and I could see something like that working. :)

Perfect, you guys. I'm going to try, within the next week or two, to run a test install, and then see if I can get the database converted over to it if all goes well.

Isn't there a way to stop these spam accounts like the use of questions when people sign up? I'm a moderator on Zelda Dungeon for almost 3 years now and we had a massive and I mean massive amount of spambots. I had to ban more than 1000 of those in these three years. The admin solved this problem by having the people who signed up to answer questions. Because even activate accounts did't really prevend spambots for signing up.

Isn't there a way to stop these spam accounts like the use of questions when people sign up? I'm a moderator on Zelda Dungeon for almost 3 years now and we had a massive and I mean massive amount of spambots. I had to ban more than 1000 of those in these three years. The admin solved this problem by having the people who signed up to answer questions. Because even activate accounts did't really prevend spambots for signing up.

Problem is, I can't do that without finding the right plug-ins to make it happen. I have questions that people have to answer, but we still have to check that their answers are correct. What forum software does Zelda Dungeon use?

My unfinished stories aren't going to disappear, are they?

Nope. Moving to xenForo will be done with care. They have people that can help move large forums such as ours. They've moved forums from vBulletin with upwards of 5-12 million posts, so getting under 2 million posts moved over shouldn't be much problem.

Archives too? You probably don't remember, but just before my Janalee was called home to Aslan's Country six years ago, I was in the process of writing a parody of Christian romance novels. I've been meaning to salvage that, and expand it to book length.

(Psst! I think the new forum should definitely keep this wonderful shade of green! It just wouldn't feel like home without it... :D

....And then you can start making the NarniaFans shirts in "Dancing Lawn Green" too! :p)

Yeah...I would miss the green. Partly because the old invisible writing codes would no longer work. :p

Strongly, strongly, STRONGLY in favor of keep green the color theme. Too many fond memories.

Also, please do keep those wonderful, archival (DO NOT DELETE) duffer threads intact over the course of the move. :)

And thanks for all the work put into this forum. It's been a wonderful place, and I'm sure it will continue to be.

Back