The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > Cair Paravel > Queen Susan's Horn

Notices

Queen Susan's Horn For announcements on the board.

View Poll Results: At which URL should the Dancing Lawn be found?
NarniaForum.com 15 23.08%
NarniaForums.com 50 76.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Admin and Webmaster

Specter has disabled reputation
Default New Forum URL Help

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I think the time has come to simplify the forum's address. I'd like your thoughts on this before I go through with it.

I've managed to get a couple of URLs that I think would be great for this place.

http://www.narniaforum.com
http://www.narniaforums.com

Currently, both point at www.narniafans.com/forum

My question to you all is this. If we were to move the forum to one of those, which would you prefer. All of the posts and everything would be at shorter URLs than they currently are.

One reason why I want to do this is because it currently costs a ton to run the website, and as there won't be new movies for a little while, I can move the site to a server that will cost me 1/20th what it costs right now per month.

And I'd like to make it so that, even if another movie comes out, I can safely move NarniaFans.com to another server that can handle the traffic that is only there for the news, and keep the community safely running, and online, as a separate unit that is still very much a part of NarniaFans.com without needing to jump through extra hoops. I'm sure Prince of the West can also do a fairly good job of explaining it.

Plus, whenever we post some big news that usually takes down the website, that shouldn't have any effect at all on the forum anymore, as it'd be at a separate domain.

So, I'm asking you for help and your vote as to where we wind up moving the forum to.

I know it's small, and the only difference is an "s" at the end, but I don't know what you'd like, and as the community, I'd like you to decide.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Friend of Narnia

Mozart the Meerkitten is just really niceMozart the Meerkitten is just really niceMozart the Meerkitten is just really niceMozart the Meerkitten is just really nice

Will the forum actually physically change from this edit? Or just the URL?
(That probably sounds like a stupid question, but I know absolutely nothing about such things.)

I like the 2nd URL better. It just sounds proper.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Lady of Rohan

Dernhelm has a spectacular aura aboutDernhelm has a spectacular aura aboutDernhelm has a spectacular aura about

Definitely narniaforums! Keeps the 'flavor' of narniafans, what with the 'f' at the beginning and 's' at the end of the addendum.

The LORD is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise him,
my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Exodus 15:2

I am developing a thing called a life. Do not hesitate to contact meóbut please be aware that I may not see your message right away!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Admin and Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart the Meerkitten View Post
Will the forum actually physically change from this edit? Or just the URL?
(That probably sounds like a stupid question, but I know absolutely nothing about such things.)

I like the 2nd URL better. It just sounds proper.
The forums won't physically change yet. However, it's been about 8 or 9 years with the same look, and the same software. I'm going to look into what it would take to get the forum upgraded to one of the latest versions of vBulletin, and also do kind of a retro theme that looks like this one (or very similar) as well as a new theme as well, with new features.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Fresh Bread?

fernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Derny, "narniaforums" does sound closer to home
Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 AM

Knight of Narnia will become famous soon enough

I also agree that 'forums' sounds better. After all, this site has become more of a collection of forums as opposed to one all-encompassing forum.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Friend of Narnia

the Large Voice is on a distinguished road

I voted NarniaForum, but now wish I had chosen the "s".

"Who are you?" he said, scarcely above a whisper.
"One who has waited long for you to speak," said the Thing. Its voice was not loud, but very large and deep.
"Are you- are you a mountain giant?" asked Shasta.
"You might call me a giant," said the Large Voice.
"But I am not like the creatures you call giants."

(The Horse and His Boy: Chapter XI)

*banner created by myself*
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 AM

Brother of Narnians is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Brother of Narnians Send a message via MSN to Brother of Narnians Send a message via Skype™ to Brother of Narnians
Thumbs up

I voted for NarniaForums. We have to move with time and I understand all the cost issues you have, plus I won't mind TDL getting its own URL.

But those words may forever stay in my heart-locked inside. Sometimes I wonder if there are words locked inside you too... but I'll never know.

MG I was enchanted to meet you...

http://twitter.com/SunnyShiningSun
http://youtube.com/SunnyShiningSun
Some ways to reach me outside TDL ^_^
Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 AM

timbalionguy is on a distinguished road
Default Forum or fora?

Actually, I think the correct plural of 'forum' is 'fora'. But 'forums' works as well.

I had to think about this a little bit, as I like the concept of 'forum'. But there are a number of broadly differing discussion going on here, each in their own area, so, 'forums' is more correct in this case.

I'm currently learning how much fun it is to be an administrator of a forum. I was just elevated to full administrator on one of the constructed language forums I am involved in (with no hint or warning that it was happening; I just logged in one day and found I was an administrator ). A week later, a major expansion of the forums was announced, completely unrelated to this elevation. I will be a busy man for a while!

In memory of Kenya the lion 6/23/1996 - 1/15/2017
In memory of Serena the lioness 5-2002 - 9/16/2017
In memory of Sierra the lioness 5/24/1995 - 9/17/2017
Sir Timbalionguy the faithful O.L.

Last edited by timbalionguy; 04-28-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Admin and Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbalionguy View Post
Actually, I think the correct plural of 'forum' is 'fora'. But 'forums' works as well.

I had to think about this a little bit, as I like the concept of 'forum'. But there are a number of broadly differing discussion going on here, each in their own area, so, 'forums' is more correct in this case.

I'm currently learning how much fun it is to be an administrator of a forum. I was just elevated to full administrator on one of the constructed language forums I am involved in (with no hint or warning that it was happening; I just logged in one day and found I was an administrator ). A week later, a major expansion of the forums was announced, completely unrelated to this elevation. I will be a busy man for a while!
The correct plural of forum is, in fact, fora.

However, in doing some searching, people just don't use that term at all anymore.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore...0Narnia%20Fora
http://www.google.com/trends/explore...0Forums&cmpt=q

And clicking on "Forums" to see what types of forums people are looking for, with the generic terms, it's the plural that Narnia Forums actually fits in.

In fact, the search "Narnia Forum" will also include "Narnia Forums," making that actually helpful.

Also, yeah, administrating a forum can be extremely difficult. Especially when trying to keep the spam users out while making it easier for others to get in.