The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Lamp-post

Notices

The Lamp-post It returns, the general topic forum, combining the general discussion threads from Tumnus, International and Wood between the worlds.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRose View Post
Lovely artwork, Inkspot. Thank you for sharing it with us

Also, insightful thought about Jesus not being the absence of conflict but the full presence of love. I agree with you.
thank you! i am a terrible artist but i enjoy the process.

it was fred buechnner's idea that peace isn't the absence of conflict, but the presence of love, and i agree ... i am a peace-filled person because of jesus, even though i have my share of conflicts in life ...
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

I have been busy making ornaments that are related to True Christmas for gifts this year. Here are some samples:
miniature (1.5 inch) ribbon wreath
woven/beaded Jesus-in-the-manger emoticon: i)X
sewing lace wings on a (2 inch) Guatemalan doll to make it into an angel ornament
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 ornaments.jpg (70.8 KB, 41 views)

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM

SunshineRose has a spectacular aura aboutSunshineRose has a spectacular aura about

Benisse, your ornaments are lovely to look at

-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Wow, that's so cool Benisse!

here is my blog from today -- for Advent I am reading the Gospel of John's "Christmas" story ...

Tuesday December 11

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God.All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. (John 1:1-5, KJV).

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (Genesis 1:1-3)

Because John begins His Christmas story "in the beginning," I wanted to compare it with the original "in the beginning" story. In each case, "light" plays an important role. It was among the first things God created ... and among the first gifts John says Jesus gives to us at His coming.

You also find it in the other Christmas stories --

A star leads the wise men to the Christchild ... a light in the darkness that guides them to the true light!

The shepherds were alerted to the miraculous birth by a choir of angels -- "the glory of the Lord shown round about them" -- you have to believe that was quite a light show!

The prophet Simeon, who had been promised by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen Messiah, held the baby Jesus and prayed to God, "Mine eyes have seen thy salvation, which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; a light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel" (Luke 2:30-32).

Jesus came as a light to a darkened world, and His arrival here brought us life that is light for all humanity! How has His life brought light to your world? If it hasn't yet; if you don't feel that sense of wonder, joy and elation at the coming of Christ to meet you with renewed mercies each morning ...

Then I think you haven't yet come to know Him the way He wants you to know Him, to experience His love the way He wants to pour it out on you. When that happens, then you'll realize how you've been stumbling in darkness, and what it means to be bathed in His glorious light!
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17

________
Old 12-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Knight of the Stone Table

PrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PrinceOfTheWest Send a message via MSN to PrinceOfTheWest

I have been remiss: here is the wreath for this week -

Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Dad & Mage Verger
(Play courteously! Your father is watching!)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Friend of Narnia

shortangel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to shortangel
Default Cinnamon Dough recipie for decorations

ok so this is the thread for Advent & Christmas so i'm going to post a craft dough recipie for decorations

2 cups flour

1 cup salt

5 t. cinnamon

3/4 to 1 cup warm water

bowl

cookie sheets

mix flour & cinnamon in bowl, make a well in center, pour in water, mix with hands until dough forms a ball, knead on lightly floured surface until dough is smooth for about 5 mintutes, wrap in plastic and refridgerate for 20 mintutes until ready to make decorations, bake in oven 350 1 hour until dough turns hard
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

THE QUEST OF FAITH

(Written by me for an Advent devotional book)

Quite often in my Scouting career, I have put my faith in a compass to carry me through the challenges of the wilderness to my final destination. I pause now to consider the faith that the Wise Men placed in a Star to carry them through the challenges of the wilderness to find the King of Kings.

Through deserts and meadows they rode, to find the fulfillment of a prophesy written in the skies. Along the way they saw wonders…high walls, grand palaces, mighty mountains, lush valleys. The glories of man and nature they passed…not yet, not yet! If not sheltered in marble halls or mountain majesty, where would they find the King of Kings?

And then the star stopped above a lowly stable. They had reached their destination. They found a babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. Before him they placed their gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh and bowed in silent worship.

Each of us has to place our faith in something that will carry us to our final destination. Too often our pursuits will lead us astray. We look for an answer in money, power, security or reputation. What we find may give us fleeting pleasure, passing contentment, but in the end we realize that we are lost in the wilderness of a fallen world. It is not too late…lo, a star shines in the night! O come let us adore Him!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Beloved Disciple

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the recipe, short angel -- i am not too crafty so i probably won't try it, but that's a good idea.

ES, thanks for the lovely devotional! It's so true, you know? Makes you wonder what the wise men were thinking, or expecting ... and whether they were tempted to think that they had been led astray when all they found was a regular middle-class family and their new baby ...

This reminds me of my blog post from the other day, contemplating the "Christmas" story in John chapter 1, about how we sometimes miss the light even when we think we're walking in it.
_______
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God.All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. (John 1:1-5, KJV).

It seems so obvious to us now, looking back through 2000 years of Christendom, Jesus was the light of the world!

Had we been there in Bethlehem, of course we would have recognized and worshiped Him. Right?

But would we, really? This was something totally new and unexpected. Joseph didn't get it until an angel told him what was happening. The wise men would have missed it if their astrology had not pointed it out. The shepherds, too, had to have heavenly intervention.

And think of all the people who did miss it, the people of Bethlehem who turned Joseph and Mary away because they looked like just another tourist couple and weren't their problem.

Sadly, they're not the only ones who miss the light. I know, because I was a Christian for many years, and yet I still stumbled in darkness. The "true light that was coming into the world," as John will soon call it, was something I was very near every day and yet never beheld.

Because I didn't recognize it. I thought the Christ life was that you asked Jesus to forgive you of your sins, and then you tried to behave. When you did well, Jesus was happy, and when you failed, He was there to forgive you, again. It was, as John Eldredge says, the "Gospel of Sin Management"

The big payoff was promised later, after death, in heaven, when everything would be wonderful. If I could just keep the sin thing under control until then.

Little did I know, the true light was already shining, heaven had already come to earth -- for me -- if I would just embrace it!

Heaven for me began when I finally began to realize the way Jesus loves me, and the complete responsibility He takes for me, regardless of my behavior... the light finally dawned!

And it can, for you too, this Christmas!

________
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 PM

SunshineRose has a spectacular aura aboutSunshineRose has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the craft recipe, shortangel.

Thank you for the devotional reflections, ES and Inkspot

-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Knight of the Stone Table

PrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PrinceOfTheWest Send a message via MSN to PrinceOfTheWest

And here's the wreath for this Sunday:

It's Gaudete Sunday! Gaudete is Latin for Joy, and it's when we celebrate that Advent is at least halfway over. Though the candle looks pink, the technical color is "rose", which is formed by mixing purple (symbolizing penance and self-examination) with white (symbolizing purity and holiness.)

Have a joyful Gaudete Sunday, and remember that our King is coming soon!

Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Dad & Mage Verger
(Play courteously! Your father is watching!)