The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Lamp-post

Notices

The Lamp-post It returns, the general topic forum, combining the general discussion threads from Tumnus, International and Wood between the worlds.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Friend of Narnia

ahyperdude has a spectacular aura aboutahyperdude has a spectacular aura aboutahyperdude has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenburne View Post
I likes, it, precious. *gollumgollum* (I'd contribute, but I'm working on a case brief. Brown v. Board. Very fun, precious. Lots and lots of pages, but no fishess.)

(Overpost--I likes yours too, Hyper. *gollum*)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
Wow, those are both awesome tributes!

Thanks Miss R & HyperDude.

We love you both!!!
LOOL, thanks! I love you guys

It's fine Glen, I'm just the awkward noobie on TDL
Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

You're not so new anymore, Hyper--you'll have your first "TDL birthday" in a couple months.

(What happened was that I had answered MissReepicheep's post and then saw that you had answered in between, so I thought I should mention that I liked your post, too. This thread is really neat--so many interesting stories.)

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Friend of Narnia

ahyperdude has a spectacular aura aboutahyperdude has a spectacular aura aboutahyperdude has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenburne View Post
You're not so new anymore, Hyper--you'll have your first "TDL birthday" in a couple months.

(What happened was that I had answered MissReepicheep's post and then saw that you had answered in between, so I thought I should mention that I liked your post, too. This thread is really neat--so many interesting stories.)
Alright, sorry about that! I just feel left out or something although I know very well it was only an overpost

Last edited by ahyperdude; 04-12-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

Great posts everyone! Lossy, hyper, and MissD. Thanks for sharing your story. I feel privileged to be part of this forum even more now. And MissD, you have never, ever been annoying and even if you had, we would still love you for being you!

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Friend of Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbarianKing View Post
And MissD, you have never, ever been annoying and even if you had, we would still love you for being you!
I agree! I just never said it! You rock MissD!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Fresh Bread?

fernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the rough

I have also, in a way, "grown up on tdl." When I joined I was 17. Tdl was pretty much my first experience with the internet (shocker, I know). I joined at a time when my friendships at home were definitely shaky. I was/am socially awkward and then I found that Tdl was filled with similar types of people

People like Vanessa were a comfort when everything seemed so confusing and lonely in my life. She, and many others here, have become dear friends to me whose presence I miss as if I had met them.

One of the most exciting times from TDL was meeting my fellow Oregon buddy April (TD). It was amazing because TDL "came to life." Same when I was able to IM for the first time with Vanessa and Johny.

Yes, tdl has been a very positive influence in my life. My hope has always been that I will help this to be true for others as well...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernshirehobbit View Post
I have also, in a way, "grown up on tdl." When I joined I was 17. Tdl was pretty much my first experience with the internet (shocker, I know). I joined at a time when my friendships at home were definitely shaky. I was/am socially awkward and then I found that Tdl was filled with similar types of people

People like Vanessa were a comfort when everything seemed so confusing and lonely in my life. She, and many others here, have become dear friends to me whose presence I miss as if I had met them.

One of the most exciting times from TDL was meeting my fellow Oregon buddy April (TD). It was amazing because TDL "came to life." Same when I was able to IM for the first time with Vanessa and Johny.

Yes, tdl has been a very positive influence in my life. My hope has always been that I will help this to be true for others as well...
Not to mention that without you, we duffers wouldn't have Fernyland to go on vacation to! Yay for Fernyland!

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Friend of Narnia

Sopespian is a glorious beacon of lightSopespian is a glorious beacon of lightSopespian is a glorious beacon of lightSopespian is a glorious beacon of lightSopespian is a glorious beacon of light
Talking

It might take me a few hours to post all that TDL has meant to me growing up. Bear with me.

In the early summer of 2009 I started looking for a good forum to join; one where I could express my opinions and meet other people. I got the idea to look for a Narnia forum after I had little success finding any other good forums.

On the CBH forums (the ones to which D referred), I had been a very divisive member, getting into arguments as often as I could and loving it, until it became evident that I had become quite unpopular on the forum for this reason. I quit the forum in... probably '05 or '06.

TDL provided a fresh start -- I didn't have to be arguing, unpopular kid that I was on CBH. I started out a very polite, kind, tactful member, posting a scathing review of PC with as much politeness as I could muster. And then it happened. I met Vanessa. My life REALLY changed when that happened. We could talk for hours on end about important things or just nothing. We hit it off big time.

This was huge for me because I had never thought about having a friend who wasn't a) close to my age and b) close to where I lived. But Vanessa was twenty years older than I and lived across the ocean. My friendship with her really broadened my horizons and forced me to think outside myself, something that I wasn't used to doing as an introverted teenager.

I really respected the mods when I started out here. However, this would not remain the case forever... Gradually my respect for the moderators waned through certain happenings and I left the forum on several occasions. It came to a head after the "Scriptural Authority/Tradition" thread and I came this close to being banned. This truly woke me up and made me realize that I needed to start treating my authorities with respect or lose the privileges that this forum offered me. Since then, I practice honesty and tact in any debates that I enter.

I wasn't out of the woods yet, however, as I berated Glenburne for lying to me in Mafia game twenty-four. I apologized for my rashness and actually made a new friendship because of that. Glen is a great young lady and I am glad to be her friend.

I like to think that I'm continually growing in my Christian walk thanks to TDL and my friends here. We build each other up, and provide, as it were, an oasis; free from the harshness of the world with which we deal at all other times. GG, D, Glen, AK, Ferny, Derny, Vanessa, Zella, LBT, Alaina, Sister in Arms, Narnia Ice Cream, VL, TSI, Afton, Hyper, Anna Pendleton, Uncle Joe, SofA (and Sir Tom), ES, and even PotW have all contributed to my "change for the better" since I joined this site.

Whew! Now hopefully that didn't take too long for you to read.

Mike
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Friend of Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernshirehobbit View Post

Thanks for sharing your story Fernie
Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Pandawan

MissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbarianKing View Post
Great posts everyone! Lossy, hyper, and MissD. Thanks for sharing your story. I feel privileged to be part of this forum even more now. And MissD, you have never, ever been annoying and even if you had, we would still love you for being you!
Awwww! Thanks so much, BK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyperdude View Post
I agree! I just never said it! You rock MissD!
Thanks! And thanks for sharing your story! This is such a neat thread, and I can't wait to hear even more people share. =)

Awesome, Ferny! I'm glad that TDL has been a positive influence, and I'm glad you're still here, six years later. You are such a lovely person, and I'm glad I've met you.
By the way, I had no idea you'd met April in person. That is amazingly cool!

Sopes, your post is great! Don't worry, it was not too long to read. Mine was nearly twice as long, and I did not organize my thoughts as well as you did either. Thanks for being so transparent about your shortcomings. I'm glad that you have grown through your experiences here on TDL.

It made me think of something else I'd like to share: I have appreciated the opportunities to debate and discuss ideas through the Socratic Club, as well as in other topic threads. As long as everyone is civil, it's a wonderful learning opportunity in how to intelligently discuss things with others who may or may not share your point of view. My involvement has helped me to learn how to express my ideas clearly, how to debate nicely, and how to respect other's points of view.

I made my banner and avatar.