The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Lamp-post

Notices

The Lamp-post It returns, the general topic forum, combining the general discussion threads from Tumnus, International and Wood between the worlds.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Friend of Narnia

office is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to office
Default Growing up

Let me start off this rambling by saying I hope this leads to other people discussing growing up and the impact this forum has had on them and it's not just me rambling. I'm 15, I joined this place when I was only 9. I can say that this forum provided me with great friends and I learned a lot about my Christian life on here as well. I'm sort of maturing now and looking back I really miss this place, but it's not as active now and I don't have the time to come back. How did these forums shape your guys' lives?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

Well, Office, this place is still active, just not with many of the same members as before. However, there are still many members here who have been members for as long as you and are still active.

I think that the issue is that as you grow up, your interests change and you change. Also, friends move in and out of people's lives and things evolve. It is a natural process. But the forum is still here. Anytime you want to come back and revisit with old friends that may still be around, you're welcome to do it. You may make new friends here too. You don't know it but there's actually quite a few awesome newer members who make great friends. If you came back more often, you could get to know them and you wouldn't miss this place so much.

I for one I'm happy to see members who joined a long time ago. I'm actually glad to see you, even though we didn't really talk before. But I do remember vaguely that you were trying to get an audition for the role of Eustace and that there were tons of people here cheering you on. If you come back, you may find out that there are others here who would be glad to cheer you on as you embark in new adventures, now that you have matured some more.

I'd like to hear what those who have grown up with this forum have to say too.

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by BarbarianKing; 04-09-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

TDL has changed for me because the members' interests changed from Narnia to other non-Narnian things *cough* Twilight *cough*. I suppose this is normal, but it's caused TDL to lose some of its appeal in my eyes.

I'm probably as active now as I was then, but TDL isn't so sacred to me that it would keep me from ever leaving for good. I think this will probably hold true when I get a job after I graduate, and if I ever get married, I don't see TDL becoming a very viable internet option because I won't have the time.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Right, younger kids tend to have more time for TDL. And that's great because kids are wonderful! I agree with BK, I would love to hear stories from members who have grown up here, and I would say you're always welcome back here, before, during and after you grow up. There's always a core of active members of different ages, from different backgrounds, with interesting stuff to share, so always feel free to jump back in.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Friend of Narnia

Lila is a jewel in the roughLila is a jewel in the roughLila is a jewel in the roughLila is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Lila

I joined TDL when I was twelve and I will be eighteen this May, so I've pretty much been here for my entire adolescence. I can definitely say that this forum has helped and changed me in numerous and important ways.

To start, I've become much more literate in the workings of the internet and certain softwares. Being on this forum has introduced me to a lot of computer-related knowledge, especially in the field of graphics. Without TDL, I doubt I would have become interested in Photoshop and graphic design. Being around such a skilled community inspired me to try out a type of art that I had previously been unfamiliar with. I've benefited from this so much - it's actually really helped me in school, where I've taken a digital imaging course as well a graphic design course.

In terms of my social development, I feel much more comfortable participating in discussions in a mature, polite way. It's helped me so much to be surrounded by a community that engages in healthy debate. I've learned through experience the importance of controlling my temper, listening to what other people have to say, and defending my own beliefs intelligently and thoroughly. I think my informal writing skills have definitely improved, too.

One of the biggest influences TDL has had on me is philosophical. The spiritual nature of our discussions has led me to flourish in my faith. I have a great family and church life, but the opportunity to talk with other believers in a setting like this is really unlike any other. It has opened the door to many new viewpoints, opinions, and convictions. I feel like I've gained a much stronger understanding of the sects of Christianity and where I fit in.

There are so many other things I could list, too. This site has played a very big role in my growth throughout the past 5-ish years. I hope that no one here downplays that (especially the mods). All the members here are amazing, and I really appreciate all that you've done for me and the rest of us who have grown up here.

click the banner to see more of my graphics or to request your own!
blog

Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

I was not only already grown up before Dancing Lawn was created, I was already grown up before the internet was created. But this forum has been extemely important in my life-- because, in a transitional period both for me and for the internet (note, starting before there was Kindle), this place gave me the gift of being able TO WRITE FOR AN AUDIENCE. Over my nearly six years of membership, I have written five brand-new complete novels right here, and hundreds of poems including my BOOK-LENGTH poem "The Tale of Sophia Renee." No other website I have known has afforded me SUCH a creative liberation.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Wow, CF, that's amazing! Well done!!!

Lila, what you wrote was beautiful, and I was very touched by it. How great to know that our ramblings here really make a difference. Thanks for sharing! BTW, I find you to be quite mature and open-minded for an 18-year-old. For any age, actually.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Friend of Narnia

office is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to office

Ah, it's so great to see all of you again!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

We're really happy to see you too!

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM

Jill_Pole_Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jill_Pole_Wannabe

A month or so after my 10th birthday I joined TDL and I'm going to be 15 in 3 months, I feel that TDL has played a big part in me growing up.... When I first joined I was just so happy that I had other people that I could relate to who also liked Narnia. I was in year 6 at the time and I already hung out with a girl that got bullied for believing in fairies, so I never told anyone about my obsession with the books+films in fear that I'd get bullied aswell. But nowadays I really don't care what people think about me, so when people find out about my love for Glee or Micheal Buble I honestly couldn't care less if anybody finds it funny or not.
TDL has also taught me life skills like not judging a book by it's cover, as before I might have avoided speaking to people because their looks scared me or for whatever reason. But on this site you get to know people without knowing what they look like or what persona they have about them. So when I've been growing up I've always made an effort to try and have a conversation with someone first before making an opinion on them -by doing this I've gained some great friends.
Best of all TDL is still helping me now, as when things are happening in my life that I'm not all too thrilled about this website still offers me a place to go where I can just forget my troubles and focus on some of the wierd things people talk about on here

So basically, thanks everyone who's on TDL for.... helping me grow up from a shy geeky girl who didn't like saying more than a sentence to people she didn't know, to a teenager who just has a conversation with random people at any given opportunity... Technically though I've still not grown up, so I look forward to seeing if the website and the users on it still help me grow even more. Thanks again everyonex

Sorted as a Slytherin by Pottermore

I'm a geeky Potterhead that loves to sing Disney songs and proud of it.