The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Professor's Writing Club

Notices

The Professor's Writing Club Poetry, Fan Fiction, etc

Old 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM

celestialhost is on a distinguished road

Thanks for reading.

I expect that is the origin of the name, as that people do seem to have a rather Japanese feel.
"There! You see!" said the Ape. "It's all arranged. And all for your own good. We'll be able, with the money you earn, to make Narnia a country worth living in. There'll be oranges and bananas pouring in -- and roads and big cities and schools and offices and whips and muzzles and saddles and cages and kennels and prisons -- oh, everything."
Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

A Pretty Good Alternate Jane Austen Ending

The former Elinor Dashwood quietly pondered as she stood over her chained and helpless captive. Fanny Dashwood, the evil wife of Elinor's worthless brother John, had intentionally and maliciously caused Elinor, her sisters Marianne and Margaret, and their mother, to be cast into poverty; and as a dubious escape from that poverty, Marianne had stupidly married a different John, the immoral and unreliable John Willoughby. A lucky hand of cards had reversed Willoughby's own descent into the poverty of gambling debts, or else Marianne would have been financially much worse off with him than at Barton Cottage.

"Let me go, you peasant!" shrieked Fanny once again. The shrewish woman was too proud to beg, and Elinor had not inflicted any such tortures on her as to bring her to begging. Elinor had contented herself with various humiliations, such as dyeing Fanny's hair orange and purple. But a more serious conclusion, albeit not a homicidal one, was impending.

"I shall let you GO, to be sure," sneered Elinor. "You shall go to an obscure outpost in India, where you will have to WORK for your living. See how high and mighty you can be THEN!"

"At least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that my brother Edward has escaped from your designs! I'm glad I decided to support Lucy's marriage to him!"

"If you had not added that to your foul deeds, I would not now be sending you away to servitude. But it is your own doing that I am able to ship you off thus; for it was the very loss of Edward which left me available to another man-- a man who is not less good-hearted than Edward, and who has far more in the way of useful connections, including Indian connections."

Elinor's new husband, who was finding her a better wife after all than the girl he first wanted would have been, came in at this point and announced: "If you want to push that pie in her face as you were contemplating doing, now is the time. The coach is ready to take her to the East India Company ship."

"Thank you, dear," said Elinor, and hit Fanny in the face with the pie. "There, Fanny, that's a SPOILED apple pie, suited to a spoiled rich woman like yourself." To her husband again: "All right, my love, you may unchain her now. If she struggles as you drag her to the coach, feel free to break her nose."

"My pleasure, darling," replied Colonel Christopher Brandon.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Location: In my own little world, in the land of my imagination.
Lil Princess is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a snippet I scribbled down after visiting the dentist for cavities to be filled. I'm not sure it qualifies as a short story... but it was fun so I thought I'd post it here. I hope that okay?

It was a very different sight that greeted the Narnians that day as their High King returned from captivity. The left side of his mouth looked numb, but he said that was perfectly normal, and he bade the army (and all loyal Narnians) not to try to go chasing his "captor." It was needful and without the period of captivity, he would likely suffer great pain and/or lose some of his teeth. The thought of their king in such terrible pain moved the Narnians so that they promised not to let the matter drop.

Edmund on the other hand just rolled his eyes at his brother and stood ready to drag him off as soon as Peter was done with his silly speech. Queen Susan smiled kindly if a bit patronizingly down at elder brother.

Part of this was inspired by trying to encourage myself by thinking of what the pevensies would do in a difficult situation, a bit by playing the narnian soundtrack on the way there, (yes, I am that geeky) and part by a Narnian Fanfic on Fanfiction called "An Unusual Sort of Adventure"
Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

"Pardon me while I indulge in a bit of regicide," Edmund quipped, slapping his arm soundly.

"Regicide?" Peter asked anxiously. "Surely you jest! I'm the only other King around!"

"That mosquito was of royal blood," the younger King retorted. "Speaking of which, please hold very still. There's another one on your forehead..."
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Lil Princess, your snippet was entertaining; and you're not the only one who finds that listening to soundtrack-type music helps the writing juices to flow!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Copperfox, please remind me which book those characters are from.
"There! You see!" said the Ape. "It's all arranged. And all for your own good. We'll be able, with the money you earn, to make Narnia a country worth living in. There'll be oranges and bananas pouring in -- and roads and big cities and schools and offices and whips and muzzles and saddles and cages and kennels and prisons -- oh, everything."
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Lovely and short, Eveningstar.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Very good, Lil Princess
Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Friend of Narnia

C-Host, my top favorite Jane Austen characters are Elinor Dashwood and Colonel Brandon, and they are found in the book Sense and Sensibility. The movie of that novel gave Alan Rickman a career breakthrough: being cast as the virtuous Colonel enabled him to show that he could convincingly play a GOOD GUY! There are many Jane Austen fans who believe with me that Elinor and Brandon could have been fabulously happy married to each other, and I have no doubt that there are MANY fanfic stories to that effect.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Ah. It's eight or nine years since I saw that film.