The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Sea of Forgetfulness > Cair Paravel Library

Notices

Cair Paravel Library The Records of Old Threads

View Poll Results: How did you like the Deathly Hallows Part One movie?
Loved it! 18 51.43%
Enjoyable, could have been better 12 34.29%
It was OK, but not great 4 11.43%
Hated it 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Right. In fact that whole ethos of the truth being "hidden" is very reflective of Scripture at every stage in Harry's life ... His whole being sent to the Durselys could be seen as the way Mary and Joseph had to flee Palestine for Egypt in order to escape from Herod's reign of terror -- Jesus was taken quite out of the nation where His life would have it's context and meaning, while Harry was taken out of the magical world and "hidden," like Jesus, in the Muggle world.

Christ's glory was hidden in the body of a carpenter who lived in obscurity until He blazed onto history's pages at age 30; even then His true nature was hidden until after His death. His truth, His light, was hidden.

It was the same in HP ... Harry's true nature was almost constantly misunderstood and hidden; remember even in Chamber of Secrets people thought Harry was the Heir of Slytherin. He was constantly misunderstood, his goodness and potential always hidden -- even sometimes from those closes to him. Remember how angry Ron was during half of Goblet of Fire because he thought Harry had put his own name in the goblet? Isn't that like the way Jesus was misunderstood by his own family (they came and told people He was mad and needed taking care of, and his cousin John the Baptist even sent followers to ask Jesus whether He was the Messiah or if they should look for another.)

Throughout Harry's story, there are many parallels to Scripture, includin this one, that his true nature is hidden away, and misunderstood, just as Christ's was.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM

World Wanderer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Voldemort's desire to become immortal is parallel of people who wanted to believe that they could immortalize themselves.
http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28245
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Wanderer View Post
I think Voldemort's desire to become immortal is parallel of people who wanted to believe that they could immortalize themselves.
And in trying to defeat death, be brings about something worse than death. If Harry's vision of the afterlife (in King's Cross station! bit of symbolism there) is accurate, Dumbledore, who embraced death in the cause of saving lives, was whole and happy, whereas Voldemort, who tried to defeat death by killing others, was blighted and in agony.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17

________
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Could the horcruxes be seen as evil hiding in seemingly harmless forms, but hold a great danger inside?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Beloved Disciple

Right ... I believe there's a Scripture that says sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace, or an angel of light ... So something like the ring or the locket which might looke desireable could actually turn out to be deadly.

________
Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Friend of Narnia

amdd97 has a spectacular aura aboutamdd97 has a spectacular aura aboutamdd97 has a spectacular aura about

I think this quote for DH might clear things up(about the Dark Lord)

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

"Voldemort himself created his own worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress?"

Signature by GG
Old 01-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Yep. They try to do what they can to keep people from standing up, but eventually the people refuse to take their oppression any longer.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM

slmerlinfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was really good vey sad in places but all in all a great film cant wait till the next part comes out.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 AM

katsullivan is on a distinguished road

There is a lot of symbolism in the Harry Potter books but I think they are somewhat deliberate.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Fresh Bread

EustaceTheDragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I loved the DH 1! (I actually liked it better than the book. Of course, I've never liked HBP and DH)

I see some of you were afraid of Harry and Hermione kissing. I'm actually sort of a H/Hr shipper (well, I would prefer them all to be single, but that wouldn't happen and I would rather have H/Hr than R/Hr or H/G). xD So, I liked the dance scene... and the other Harmonian scenes. (I liked a lot of the other scenes, too, like Hermione Obliviating her parents)