The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Land of Duffers

Notices

The Land of Duffers Babbling Loonies ..games ..randomness. ONLY HERE

Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Friend of Narnia

Lossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the rough
Default The Duffer Encyclopedia, 2nd Edition

Foreword to 2nd Edition:
It seems to be a tradition for great duffers to disappear, either slowly fading away, or suddenly going *puff.* (I personally believe Queen Derny's blackhole has something to do with it, but I haven't been able to prove it yet. Others think that it is an occasional an outbreak of some mysterious disease called "life" which has taken away so many of our noble members.) Anyway, Olórin the Wise, though he hasn't quite completely left us, seems to be busy with other things. As some of you may know, I am a duffer awfully obsessed with what little order we have here, both in the addiction threads and other areas, so it dismays me to see many new postings not being included in the Encyclopdia. So, to restore order to this orderless land, I have decided to offer a 2nd edition of the Encyclopedia. And here it is.
*Original thread may be found here.
-Lossėndil

Foreword to 1st Edition:
After long deliberation (lasting about 100 milliseconds), I have determined that in order to facilitate the entrance of new members into Dufferland, an Encyclopedia is required for the interpretation of all references made by Duffers and quasi-Duffers to Dufferish things. This reference post will contain links to Encyclopedia entries.* Credit for the original germ of this idea goes to Miss Freckles.
-Olórin the Wise

Numerals

100,000 Post Game, The
10 Thingy

A

Angry Mob, The
Anti-user Characterism
Antisnurfflism

B

Ban Button, The: entries I, II, III, and image.
Banana, The Lonely
Beard, The
Beep
Black Hole, Dernhelm's
Box, Fred The
Bowl of Petunias
Bruiser
Bufferduffin (and Dufferbuffin)
Butterflies
Butter Knife, The
Button

C

Cactus
Can, The
Can's Fax Machine, The
Caps Lock
Cats
Cheese
Cheese Whiz
Cliff
Clone Machine, GKoN's
Coffee Poisoning
Commune, The
Count, The
Cookie, Stan The
Copperfox
Corpus Delicti
Cran, Dr.

D

Dead Note
Death, the Red Flaming Badger of
deNile
D.I.A.P.
Dinosaur
DLF
Doctor, The
Double Posting
Duct Tape
Duct Tape Shenanigans, Various
Duffer
Dufferbuffin (and Bufferduffin)
Duffer Sun
Duffersynthesis

E

Editing
Egg, Ben The
Encyclopedia, The Duffer
ETPOD

F

Falling (off of cliffs)
Frown of the Mod, the
Frying Pan of Doom

G

Gift
Great Known/Unknown, The

H

Habeas Corpus
Hallucinations
Hatchet
Headache
Health
Heroism

I

Iambic Hexameter
Iambic Kilometer
IDAR
Impossibility
Indigestible
Insane Asylum, The: part 1 and part 2

J

Joking
Justice

K

Kennel

L

Law Duffer of Book, the
Life, A
Line, the Fine
Loner Late Night Jam, A
Lonny's Notes
Lunge
~Philippians 3:10

avvie by GondorGirl

Last edited by Glenburne; 06-25-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Adding resources.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Friend of Narnia

Lossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the rough

M

Mafia (game)
Maturity
Mods (Moderators)
Mod Lounge, The
Morality
MPLF
Mr. Green
Murder
Murphle!

N

Needlepoint
'Nites
Non-mods

P

Pancake
Perpetuum Mobile

Q

Quack War, The Great
Quotation Marks

R

Rable-Lloonie, Dr.
Reviving Threads
ROGL/ROGA

S

Sanity
Sawdust, Soulful
Seriously
Serious Note
Seven Rules to the Golden Way of Cheese, The
Sleep
Slippers 1 & 2 part 1 and part 2
Smilies: Rolleyes - part 1 and part 2
Smilies: Names
Snickers: part 1, part 2
Snitch
Spam, Spam, alternate entry
Spelling Police
Spill Chick
-splat
Starling, Sturnidae
Sushi

T

Tea
Telmarines, Telmarines, alternate entry
Time
Toodles
thread killah
Tomato Cannon, The
Treeness
Trousers
Trout
Turnip, The Uber

V

Vire Hydrant

W

Waldo
Walls
Whale
Whale Question
Writing, Invisible

Z

Zebra
Zebra, Industrialist

avvie by GondorGirl

Last edited by Glenburne; 06-25-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Adding resource.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Friend of Narnia

Default Origins and Bibliography

Origins of the Encyclopedia: link

Bibliography

The Duffer Dictionary

The Duffer Journal

History of Dufferland.

Scientific Duffer.

Dr. Cran, Handbook of Dufferland.

---, A Brief Geography of deNile: On Why Lady Dernhelm is Queen of Duffers; Why The Beard is Pink; and Why Maid Lossėndil Is No Tree.

Duffers and other NF members, Duffer Encyclopedia.

Goodhill, John, and Wilhelm Batzendorf, Luminous Locks - Legends and Tales Around the Beard.

Dr. Dipl. O. Rable-Lloonie, The Insane Asylum: A Sketch in Cheese Whiz.

---, Marsh of the Moustache.

Rable-Lloonie Publisher Inc., A.C.W., Death in Dufferland - Its Causes and Notable Impermanence.

---, Dufferish Tales of Whoa.

---, Whales and Waterhogs: Famous Creatures of Dufferland [essay].

William Shakespeare, As You Hate It, or How the Duffer Dernhelm Reacteth Upon Being Splatted by a Whale.

avvie by GondorGirl

Last edited by Lossėndil; 02-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Friend of Narnia

Default Appendix: What is a Duffer?

Every once in a while there crops up a thread concerning the nature of the duffer. There have been many claims that dufferness is something that cannot be explained, and yet there have been even more attempts to do so. Many good philosophical essays have been written on the topic, on whether one is, or is not a duffer, on how to be a duffer, on why people duffer. I thought it might be a good idea to collect them in one place for the convenience of future duffers and researchers.

Threads:

Me, a DUFFER?!? -Dernhelm
This thread does not delve into any deep discussion on the nature of the duffer. But being the first thread questioning one's dufferhood (even though Queen Dernhelm's ought never to be questioned!), and having such a great status among duffers, it deserves mention.

The Duffer FAQ - holyboy
As the title says. Perhaps the best, brief guide to Dufferland, written by the king himself.

Duffers? - Lossėndil
An attempt by a young apprentice to understand dufferdom. There are many good links on the first page of the discussion, and thoughtful, yet concise answers continue into the second post.

Am I a Duffer or Not? - MissReepicheep
Another member who wondering if she was a duffer (she went on to be a wonderful one). A handful of personal experiences of duffers in the first two pages.

The Roles of Duffers and Coriakins - Sopespian
Musings on the wholesomeness of broccoli and the differences of duffers and non-duffers, with the consensus that everybody is probably a bit of both.

All duffers... - ahyperdude
A thread which considers the "inside joke" and other natures of dufferdom. Largely meaningful discussion continues for several pages, with many long posts, most notably Prolixity on the Subject of Duffers, a wonderful essay by Celebrilomiel on how one learns to duffer.

Other writings (mostly quotes)

Commonly accepted Definition of Duffering - Waterhogboy

True Duffering - Lady of Lorien
True Duffering - Olórin the Wise

*grins* Duffering - blog entry by Lieke
Among the oldest and most valued writings on duffering, with an abundance of examples, and addresses some of the most common questions.

(I haven't been quite as active the past year or two, so I apologize for the somewhat dated quotes. If you come across something suitable, PM me!)

And yet, after reading all this duffer-related material, and learning the entries of the Encyclopedia by heart, let us remember what the notable duffer Miss Freckles once said:
"let us not glorify too much the whole "duffer culture" because if we try to stuff dufferism into it, once the duffer objects die, dufferism dies with them."

avvie by GondorGirl

Last edited by Lossėndil; 02-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Friend of Narnia

yes, I'm paranoid.

avvie by GondorGirl
Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Friend of Narnia

~Lava~ will become famous soon enough~Lava~ will become famous soon enough

Hurray. Thinks about possible new entries.

Celebrate International TDL Day with me on December 6th. Wear Green and bake Cookies

Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

Mr. Green

A smilie who apparently had a difficult childhood, as he went for many long years without a name. He was discovered and christened by Sopespian, who decided that he had passed the year of his majority and therefore should be called Mr. Green. Sopespian also promoted him to the position of Telmarine Secretary of Smile.

Due to his troubled youth, Mr. Green has always been possessed of certain behavioral problems, but his christening and subsequent promotion resulted in his becoming frankly obnoxious. He persuaded Sopespian to form a fan club in his name, as well as to make him into Sopespian's personal avatar. Mr. Green has increased in vanity as well, reportedly brushing his teeth 25 times a day toward the end of having them "glisten in the moonlight."

Opponents of Mr. Green, notably Victorian Lady, have been attempting to bring the shameless smilie to his senses, but so far, their most strenuous efforts have failed. Only the ghost of another smilie (, who is apparently Miraz) have been able to remind Mr. Green that, while he may wield great power in Telmar, his power is not secure so long as the mighty Telmarines of the past are being blinded by his teeth.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.

Last edited by Glenburne; 10-24-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:52 PM

VictorianLady will become famous soon enough

Sushi

A large male buffalo, occasionally tame and friendly, but frequently suffering from an impulse control disorder. His scientific classification can be named all the way to the subfamily Bovinae (Animalia Chordata Mammalia Artiodactyla Bovidae Bovinae), but beyond that it is unclear whether he is of the genus Bison, Bubalus, or Syncerus.

Earliest uses of the word "Sushi" appear to have referred to a Japanese food, sometimes made with raw fish and sometimes with vegetables. This usage was reasonably consistent--with the exception of a brief reference to a pet goldfish of that name--until September of 2010, when the buffalo made his first appearance. The earliest records indicate that he was discovered in a field of cacti by Victorian Lady, and there christened by her,"Sushi." The authenticity of this record is questionable, however, as Victorian Lady unequivocally denies the story. Current scholarship has determined that both the actual discovery and the fictitious record should correctly be attributed to Glenburne. As a pet, Sushi has often changed hands, but he consistently returns to Glenburne.

Sushi's mental capacity represents a fascinating field for further scientific research. Eyewitness reports claim that he has mastered both Greek and Suomi, has written a well-received paper on Gilgamesh, and in spite of having no college education, he has been awarded an honorary degree. Since that time, he has also received a degree in medicine. Investigation of these reports could potentially lead to a reevaluation of the evolutionary progression of animal development.

Sushi's mind is also of significant interest to psychologists. While he has occasionally been known to interact positively with humans, he has an alarming tendency toward sudden acts of extreme violence, giving rise to the suspicion that he suffers from a complexity of disorders. Although he has been known to perform many acts of kindness such as hugging, helping with homework, caring for grave sites, and performing prison rescues; these acts are frequently followed by displays of his dangerous temperament: goring people, destroying the world and the moon, giving zeros on papers, breaking down doors, and wrecking TDL's wardrobe and lamppost. He has also demonstrated kleptomania, when faced with Miss Freckles' cookies.

Despite concerns about his mental stability, Sushi remains a vital part of Dufferland. He has survived an arrow wound, a great flood, a car accident, an attempt at suicide off a cliff, and a duel. He has also been eaten by both Lossėndil and Gondorgirl, but has suffered no harmful effects from the experience. Experts predict that the cult of Sushi admirers will continue well into the 21st century.
He read, and turned a second page.
'A bubble, then, old crow,' I cried,
'God keep you in your weary wit!
'A bubble—have you ever spied
'The colours I have seen on it?'"

— G.K. Chesterton
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

*hugs Sushi*

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Pitchike12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenburne View Post
*hugs Sushi*