I remember seeing something that said they won't speak English, but rather in a series of chittering noises that Bilbo can understand while wearing the Ring. Not sure if it's official, though. So don't take my word for it. I just saw it today.

Yes, that would be interesting.

I'm suddenly reminded of another point. Since Aragorn would have been about 20 years old at this time (for those who don't know, he's 87 in LOTR. Dunedain men live MUCH longer and age much slower than normal humans.), are we likely to meet a young Aragorn in Rivendell?

Last edited:
That has also crossed my mind; but I betcha Peter Jackson didn't want an ignorant audience to get a glimpse of Aragorn, think "Okay, the story's about Aragorn," and then wonder why Aragorn doesn't reappear.

That has also crossed my mind; but I betcha Peter Jackson didn't want an ignorant audience to get a glimpse of Aragorn, think "Okay, the story's about Aragorn," and then wonder why Aragorn doesn't reappear.

Right. I can make some allowances for Legolas showing up ( he is from Mirkwood and the son of Thanduril. There's a few elves from Mirkwood with speaking parts with no name that could recieve his lines.) I especailly wouldn't mind if he is the elf to apprehend Bilbo and company when later durring LOTR he and Gimli become best of friends. Give him some growth.

I also don't mind seeing Galadriel, or Saruman since PJ is adding parts with the White Council so we can see where Gandalf went and what he was doing durring much of the Hobbit.

However Legolas and Galadriel are largely supporting players. Aargorn is one of the main characters and fans would want more of him.

It is undeniably logical for Legolas to be there, since he WAS living at the time, and Mirkwood WAS his homeland. If Mr. Tolkien had already thought of the character of Legolas when he began writing The Hobbit, I'm sure he would have given Legolas lines to speak.

Just remember gang, with the Hobbit movies it can always be worse.... much worse....

Watch this at your own risk. I was doing some research on The Hobbit when I stumbled upon this, like Bilbo and the Ring. And like the Ring, it should be cast back into the Fires from wence it came. It's bad. Really bad. Like Star Wars Holiday Special bad.It makes the Rankin/Bass Hobbit look amazing.

It's a 12 minute short film based on The Hobbit from 1966. Among the painful moments, Gandalf and Saruman are fused into one character....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxgUWbu-bLc

I can only leave you with this familiar warning....

Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

However, since I am not without mercy. If you choose to click the link above and suffer through the 12 hour...er... I mean 12 minute movie, bellow is a link to the end credit song from The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey.

"The Song of the Misty Mountain."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA9XlO2TmjI

Last edited:
I am not on the end of my chair waiting for The Hobbit. I just hope it is enough of a success so that the big wigs rethink their decision not to make any more Narnia movies.:(

She's a new Mirkwood elf they added for the movie. I believe she's played by Evangeline Lily, and I have a funny feeling that she's going to be portrayed as a love interest for Legolas.

Ah, okay. As I often say, there ARE some book-to-movie changes which DO NOT ruin the story. Tolkien does appear to have been a bit of a misogynist; so, as he looks down from Heaven where all faults are cleansed away, he surely won't be upset now at some FEMALE characters being added to his perniciously all-male story.

Back