The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia

Notices

The Chronicles of Narnia The Narnia Novels, all things Narnia, related to the books

View Poll Results: Movies or books?
What movies? 3 2.33%
I'm all about the books - forget the movies 9 6.98%
I love the books, but haven't seen the movies yet 0 0%
I'm mostly about the books, but enjoy the movies 60 46.51%
I like both equally 35 27.13%
I'm mostly about the movies, but enjoy the books 19 14.73%
I love the movies, but haven't read the books yet 2 1.55%
I'm all about the movies - forget the books 1 0.78%
What books? 0 0%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 PM

SunshineRose has a spectacular aura aboutSunshineRose has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
I LOVE the books. I am also of the opinion that the book is ((almost)) always better than the movie. (The one and only exception I can think of is Meet the Robinsons.) I thought they did a pretty good job on the first one and still love the music, but I strongly dislike Prince Caspian and Voyage. I'll watch Prince Caspian on rare to the extreme occasions just to mock it, but Voyage is too painful. I have seen it once and will never see it again if I have anything to say about it. I also will not be watching the Magician's Nephew or the Last Battle if they decide to make them. I'll watch the others to mock them, though.
OK, I'm good. I should be able to keep my ranting to a minimum now.
I definitely agree about LWW being the best, by far, of the movies. Overall, I felt like the movie version of LWW was able to stay true to the characters and the spirit of Lewis' book much better than PC and VTD did. The fact that LWW was good got my hopes up for PC and VTD, making those debacles more insulting to me, since LWW proved to me that Disney could do a decent movie adaptation of the Narnia books and didn't feel like putting in the effort to do so for PC and VTD. Instead, they chose to change everything they could about character and plot in PC and VTD, and then slapped Lewis' title on it, as if we weren't supposed to notice that what they did wasn't an adaptation of a book to a movie format--it was tearing the story down wholesale and basically writing a new one.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 AM

Icefire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRose View Post
I definitely agree about LWW being the best, by far, of the movies. Overall, I felt like the movie version of LWW was able to stay true to the characters and the spirit of Lewis' book much better than PC and VTD did. The fact that LWW was good got my hopes up for PC and VTD, making those debacles more insulting to me, since LWW proved to me that Disney could do a decent movie adaptation of the Narnia books and didn't feel like putting in the effort to do so for PC and VTD. Instead, they chose to change everything they could about character and plot in PC and VTD, and then slapped Lewis' title on it, as if we weren't supposed to notice that what they did wasn't an adaptation of a book to a movie format--it was tearing the story down wholesale and basically writing a new one.
YES! THANK YOU! That's it exactly! I have a friend who has told me to quit tearing apart movies until I've made one. Thing is, we all know they can do a better job and they just don't for some unknown reason!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM

SunshineRose has a spectacular aura aboutSunshineRose has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
YES! THANK YOU! That's it exactly! I have a friend who has told me to quit tearing apart movies until I've made one. Thing is, we all know they can do a better job and they just don't for some unknown reason!
Yeah, I always say that I don't need to be a master chef to know when the pizza I ordered arrived cold or when the family Mexican place decided to be cheap and put fake cheese in my enchilada instead of real cheese. If I have a right to criticize a distasteful dinner I paid for even though I'm not going to be hosting a cooking show any time soon, I also have the right to criticize a movie that I paid to see that I thought wasn't worth the price of admission.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRose View Post
I agree with all of this, especially as pertains to PC. VDT did not bug me as badly; I felt they had some nice moments going in VDT. It wasn't as good as LWW film, but it had more of Lewis' original in it than PC did. PC really was an OK movie if you didn't know it was supposed to be Prince Caspian.

And as for not criticizing a movie until we've made one ... if you're a fan of the books and really on the CSL wave-length, then you know as much more more about what would make it into a good movie than the directors of PC and VDT. You don't have to be an expert filmmaker to know that much of PC just flew in the face of the book's themes.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
I agree with all of this, especially as pertains to PC. VDT did not bug me as badly; I felt they had some nice moments going in VDT. It wasn't as good as LWW film, but it had more of Lewis' original in it than PC did. PC really was an OK movie if you didn't know it was supposed to be Prince Caspian.

And as for not criticizing a movie until we've made one ... if you're a fan of the books and really on the CSL wave-length, then you know as much more more about what would make it into a good movie than the directors of PC and VDT. You don't have to be an expert filmmaker to know that much of PC just flew in the face of the book's themes.
Yeah, PC would have been a decent, definitely not good or great, movie if it were marketed and conceived of as an original work, instead of as a movie adaptation of Lewis' Prince Caspian. Basically, in my opinion, if they had been honest and changed the title to "Arrogant Big Brother and Sibs Organize a Revolt in Some Fantasy Land Inhabited by Faux-Spainards" instead of calling it "Prince Caspian" I would have been a happier camper, but that's just me.

With movie to book adaptations, I am a firm believer that book fans should be writing the script and directing the film. Also, if the author is living (sadly, not the case with CSL), he or she should have a lot of influence on how the script is written and how it is acted out. A film adaptation should be loyal to the essence of the book. I expect some changes to be made when the media changes, but I believe strongly that the final product should have a very similiar overall feeling to the work that the movie was based upon.

If you are going to try to cash in on somebody else's hard work by adapting a popular book to film, you should expect that fans of the book are going to want you to do a good job, and are not going to be happy if the final product looks like you didn't even read the back cover summary of the book. Thus, I get angrier over bad adaptations of books than I do over bad original films. At least if your original work is bad it isn't as terrible an offense as messing up somebody else's good story with irritating characterization and silly plot points...

-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rose
Basically, in my opinion, if they had been honest and changed the title to "Arrogant Big Brother and Sibs Organize a Revolt in Some Fantasy Land Inhabited by Faux-Spainards" instead of calling it "Prince Caspian" I would have been a happier camper, but that's just me.
ROFL! Yes, exactly! I agree with this -- except I loved the Telmarines, and especially Miraz, in the film. The film did such a better job of making Miraz a really dfficult opponent than the book did. That was the only good thing about it, as far as a Narnia film. But it was like a fan-fic rather than an adaptation of the book. I think I will start another (different) thread to discuss book to film adaptations in fantasy literature ... there's so much to be said.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
ROFL! Yes, exactly! I agree with this -- except I loved the Telmarines, and especially Miraz, in the film. The film did such a better job of making Miraz a really dfficult opponent than the book did. That was the only good thing about it, as far as a Narnia film. But it was like a fan-fic rather than an adaptation of the book. I think I will start another (different) thread to discuss book to film adaptations in fantasy literature ... there's so much to be said.
I didn't mind the idea of borrowing heavily from the early modern (conquistedor) Spanish culture in terms of architecture and weaponry. In the books, I would have appreciated learning a bit more about Telmarine culture and values. Although I always pictured Telmarines more along Anglo-Saxon lines as either being like Viking or Norman invaders of Great Britain due to Caspian's blond hair in the books, I don't mind the idea of borrowing some aspects of the Spanish colonial culture.

I think it was more the accent thing that rubbed me the wrong way. I think that the Telmarines should have been speaking with some accent characteristic of native English speakers or they should have been speaking Spanish or a fantasy language with subtitles so we can understand what is happening. The accents that the Telmarines had seemed to result from an inability to pronounce English words correctly due to being accustomed to making different sounds in another language, so, presumably, another language is their first language.

That made it seem really unbelievable to me that they would walk around speaking a language that wasn't their first language all the time, even when they were talking to one another. The Telmarines should have had a language where they were capable of making all the sounds involved in communication among native speakers. Then I would never have had to hear the dreaded words, "Caspian de denth."

But I'm picky about accents. Comes from studying Latin and Spanish in high school.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Friend of Narnia

TimmyofOz has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyofOz has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to TimmyofOz

The Narnia books are on sale on Amazon Kindle today for $1.99 each. Hurry just a couple of hours more.

Aslan is on the Move.
A heart can never be practical until it can be made unbreakable.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyofOz View Post
The Narnia books are on sale on Amazon Kindle today for $1.99 each. Hurry just a couple of hours more.
Sweet deal

-C.S. Lewis