The Adventures of Milo

Nikia

Due to my love of The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy games plus my new found love of medieval literature I've been working hard on a medieval satire. It includes the quintessential hero, like Link or any Final Fantasy hero, the loyal squire, and the mysterious warrior. I'm looking to get it published as soon as I finish it. However, I'm looking for outside opinions with it. Since I'm so serious about this work I'm putting all precautions on it as I put it out into the internet. So I hereby copyright this myself and I'll flog anyone with a wet noodle if I find pieces of this stolen. ;)
~*~*~

Year 1220 of the Second Epoch~

It was in this year of the Tiritaean calender that Princess Kora, sister to King Van III of Tiritaea , was kidnapped by Prince Christopher, son of King Charles X, brother of Prince Kenton future king of Angiband. The fair princess was taken weeks before her wedding to Emperor Percival V, son of Emperor Percival IV of the Dudecim Empire. The marriage would be one that would ever ensure Tiritaea's existence as a sovereign nation. King Van III was utterly distressed by the kidnapping of Princess Kora. It would put the future of Tiritaea in jeopardy.

So the king ordered any and all able bodied men of the kingdom to search and rescue the princess. He sent forth his bravest and strongest knights to find Kora. As it were a young farmer's son by the name of Jarrett Bridger was the one to return Princess Kora to her brother. Though the princess had been returned relatively unscathed, King Van III requested her wedding be postponed a year so that she might recover in peace from the tragedy that had befallen her. Percival VI agreed and the wedding to unite Tiritaea and the Dudecim Empire took place the following year after Kora's recovery.

For Jarrett's part he was proclaimed a hero and he won great renown. He married an island woman, from the western island kingdom, Eurur, across the Atlinian strait. She was a woman who had been employed as a milkmaid on his father's farm. As payment for saving Kora King Van presented Jarrett with a farm a few hours' ride from Tiritaea's capital city of Nyain. Van also saw to it that Jarrett had plenty of hired hands at harvest time. The king was thankful to the great Jarrett Bridger and he wanted him happy and close should his need for aid ever arise again.

~*~*~

Year 1237 of the Second Epoch~

Milo Bridger found tending pigs and helping with the harvest to be a bore. These tasks were not for the son of the hero Jarrett Bridger. Tending pigs was women's work and helping with the harvest was for the hired hands. Some of his tasks were not even fit for his twin sister, Maddy, though she was just a girl and not capable of the adventures he was. But still Maddy worked hard without complaint while Milo moaned and whined most days about his workload. Regardless of Milo's talents in the hero field Jarrett was unwavering in his choice to make Milo work. After all as a youth Jarrett had worked his father's farm, it is what, as Jarrett claimed, made him strong enough to rescue Princess Kora.

Milo opted to sit and watch the rolling hills around the farm. Though not extremely exciting, it was better than watching the pigs devour the food he had just laid before them. Facing north from his barrel Milo was able to see great distances. To the east, but a day and a half's ride, sat the school for the Dey warriors. Though their numbers dwindled as fewer parents wished to part with their children, the Dey's remained the most revered fighters in Tiritaea and Angiband and if rumors were true most feared Dudecim Empire as well. Milo had always wanted to train among the Dey, but by age six he was already too old to be taken on or so Jarrett had told him. Still he secretly harbored hopes of being an exception to the rule since Jarrett Bridger was his father.

To the west, by a ten hour's ride, was the capital city and the main castle of Tiritaea. King Van had given Jarrett a plot so close for the purpose of calling on Jarrett should the need arise. Though since the twins had been born Van barely called on Jarrett. Milo looked to the west each day hoping to see the king's caravan come to beg Jarrett's help. Then Jarrett would take his son as a squire and they would go together to the king's aid. But every day was another disappointment. West was where Milo belonged. Fighting trolls and dragons, just like his father had once done. There was no telling what King Van needed Milo to do. But here he was, stuck feeding pigs, instead of helping the king.

“You're always a hero to the pigs, brother,” Maddy said, patting her brother's back. “After all you do bring them their food every day. No hero is more worthy of their praise than you.”

Milo's face twisted in anger at his sister's joking. She just continued to smile, offering him a drink from her waterskin. As usual Milo had forgotten his own. His throat welcomed the cold water Maddy was offering.

“Ma said dinner will be ready soon and you're to wash up now. She's tired of you smellin' like pig at the table.”

“Well I wouldn't smell like pig if I was allowed to go and see King Van. I'm sure he's got plenty of jobs for Milo Bridger, son of the fabled Jarrett Bridger. Then I wouldn't smell like a pig all the time.”

“You would probably smell like horse and manure. Because King Van probably has plenty of jobs mucking out stables for you.”

Milo gritted his teeth. What did his twin know? Girls never had adventures. They were the ones always in need of rescuing. Maddy would never truly understand his need to perform great deeds. She would never fully comprehend his longing to leave their father's farm. No, Maddy was too much of simpleton to appreciate the hero that lived inside Milo.

Milo was only half right in predicting his sister's thoughts. No, she would not and could not understand the need for adventure, but she knew what it felt like to want to leave the farm. Her father's ego came first and sometimes Milo came a distant second. Little else gathered attention around the farm, by family or visitors. Travelers who came often asked how Jarrett had managed to be so brave on his adventures or they wondered when Milo would take to the road like Jarrett had done in his youth. Maddy was a ghost to them. She longed for Angiband or somewhere where no one cared about Jarrett Bridger and his heroics.

But for now neither twin was going anywhere. Leyna, their mother, wanted them close to home. If Milo and Maddy left nothing would be able to distract Leyna Bridger from the endless praise and ego stroking her husband received from the bards and travelers who came by the farm. Of course none of the Bridger's shared these thoughts with one another. Everything not directly related to Jarrett was usually swept under the table.

Maddy took her waterskin back. “You better start cleaning up now. No need to get Ma upset.”

“Fine, fine,”Milo grumbled, crawling down from his barrel.

~*~*~

A Bridger family dinner consisted of the four Bridgers, Sam Windfoot, and often some traveler or bard who had to eat with Jarrett. Tonight there were no extra folk and so the five enjoyed a rare meal in relative quiet. Well, all except Jarrett who relished the attention and company.

Now the fifth member at the table, Sam, was the only year round farm hand Jarrett employed. He lived in a small room next to the kitchen. His hard work made Jarrett respect him. His strength made Milo idolize him, second only to his father. His intelligence made Leyna wish he was one of her children. And his handsome features and well kept appearance made Maddy love him. Sam was happy working with the Bridgers though he was not doing what his father expected of him. His father had hoped Sam would gain some basic heroics by working with Jarrett. Though that had yet to happen he was learning how to manage a successful farm. It seemed much more likely he would be a farmer some day rather than a great hero.

Dinner that night was a special recipe of fried fish that was Leyna's mother's specialty. She had made it of from the fish Jarrett and Sam had caught early that morning. Leyna, as her mother had taught her, had added special spices from the empire. She added these despite Jarrett's grumbling. Along with the fish she served roasted potatoes, raw carrots, and a cherry pie for dessert.

Jarrett picked at his fish, attempting to scrap off the layer of spice Leyna had added. Leyna was tapping her foot angrily under the table. Even her children were never this picky about what they ate. “The spice is not going to hurt you!” Leyna finally snapped.

“You know how it upsets and burns my stomach. Remember the pheasant?”

The spiced pheasant from Sam's fifteenth birthday, over a year past, was legend in the Bridger household. The pheasant had supposedly been the cause of a fit of diarrhea so severe in Jarrett that no one dared to enter his chambers until the sickness had passed. Jarrett insisted it had been the spiced pheasant, though Maddy believed it had been the spoiled cheese she had seen him eating earlier that day. Leyna guessed it was just an attempt to get her to stop putting spices in the food. Whenever the pheasant was brought up to Jarrett or Leyna they both got angry, but for Milo, Maddy, and Sam it remained a source of constant amusement.

“You are acting like a child!” Leyna was waving her hands, one still clutching a piece of potato, in the air. A piece of potato flew from the fork. Maddy dodged it and it landed, bouncing once, on the floor.

“I think your spiced fish is delicious, Mrs. Bridger,” Sam said. He hoped by intervening the argument would not escalate anymore.

Leyna turned to Sam. She smiled sweetly at him, but quickly cut her eyes angrily to Jarrett. “Thank you, dear.” Her eyes remained focused on her husband.

“Yeah, Ma,” Maddy agreed, “The spices are wonderful. You'll have to teach me the right amount of spices needed to make this.”

Milo was too busy stuffing his face with the fish to commit on how good it was. Leyna took that as approval. “I'm glad there are those who enjoy my cooking.”

“I'd enjoy it more if my wife wasn't out to poison me.” Jarrett finished the last of his potatoes and pushed away from the table. He left the kitchen, presumably heading for the stable.

With his father gone, Milo harpooned what was left of Jarrett's fish. He pulled it to his plate and flopped it down. He proceeded quite merrily to devour it. While Jarrett stewed in his anger elsewhere in the house the four left at the table carried on pleasant conversation. When everyone had eaten their fill the clean up began.

Maddy and Milo set to work clearing the table. Leyna and Sam kept their conversation regarding the farm's cows up. As was the norm after dinner, though usually Jarrett was involved with the conversation of Leyna and Sam. With Jarrett around if it didn't involve his day or his past it wasn't usually discussed. Leyna was glad her and Sam could talk about the farm business. She would have to remember to use her spices more often.

While Sam and his mother talked Milo handed Maddy the dishes so she could wash them. Tomorrow their roles would be reversed. Maddy set to work washing the dishes in the large wooden tub kept in the kitchen. The water was fairly old and cold. There was no telling when Leyna had filled it for cleaning that day, but to Maddy's hands it felt like ice.

Maddy cleaned the dishes mindlessly. She watched out the window as her hands went through the usual motions of scrubbing the dishes and then putting them aside to dry. Outside the kitchen window she had a clear view of the road. Since Maddy had begun the dishes two men on horseback who had been far up the road moved closer and closer still. The road they took led to one place and one place alone, the front gate of the Bridger's farm. The two men were coming up at a great speed which was what first pulled Maddy from her daydream.

As these men drew closer, she was able to make out the colors of those in the service of the Tiritaean king. Colors Maddy was acquainted with because of her father's past. Countless times had the Bridger twins had to look upon the Tiritaean uniform their father had worn in his youth when he adventured for King Van. The men continued to come closer at great speed and it wasn't until they were through the front gate that Maddy identified the red eagle insignia upon the grey background on their tunics. These men wore the traditional and drab uniforms of royal messengers. Their horses were attired with blue and red blankets, clearly the horses were of higher standing than these men.

“Messengers of the king are here.” She stated matter of factly. Such comings were rare, but these royal messengers never brought anything new to the Bridger farm. They usually came to invite Jarrett to a royal ball, tournament, or to see if Jarrett would give an account for the royal Tiritaean historians.

Though Maddy found such things tedious, Milo was ready to jump out of his skin. Any messenger from the king could mean a potential adventure for Jarrett. And maybe, just maybe, an adventure for Milo. However, no one else seemed to share in his excitement. Leyna and Sam both slowly moved from the table. Leyna to get the door and Sam to relinquish his seat to the messengers.

“Come on,” Sam said taking Milo and Maddy by their upper arms. “Let's give them the kitchen.”

The three passed Jarrett and Leyna leading the messengers into the kitchen. Maddy opted to go into her and Milo's room. Sam went to the stables, but Milo, as always, needed to know what was transpiring in the kitchen. He left the house and scurried to the kitchen window. If one strained his hearing enough most of any conversation could be heard. It was Milo's habit to eavesdrop on most conversations in the kitchen in such a fashion. The boy positioned himself in his favorite and listened intently.

“Mr. Bridger,” A messenger with a husky voice spoke first, “His royal majesty, King Van III, has sent us on behalf of his youngest daughter, Princess Ariane.”

The other messenger, one with a gravelly voice spoke next, “You once won renown with King Van by rescuing his beloved sister, Princess Kora, now Empress of Dudecim, from Prince Christopher of Angiband. Though King Kenton has kept his brother in check these last eighteen years it seems Prince Kéni has learned nothing from his uncle's example.”

The husky messenger spoke again. “Kéni has taken the fair Princess Ariane, in the flower of her youth. He is following the same path as that mischievous Prince Christopher.”

“And like Empress Kora, Ariane was set to marry before the year is out. As you know King Van's older daughters, Elaine and Helene, were both married to kings of lesser countries and the king has no sons of his own. Elaine's son is required by law to take the crown of Eurur after their father and Helene's son is to be the king of Thanen. Princess Ariane was set to marry a prominent duke in the north, that way should she bear a son he would be able to take the throne after our beloved king passes.”

“King Van calls upon your aid to rescue Ariane as you once did for Kora. His royal majesty also believes things will not be so complicated now that you are older.”

Milo wondered at the last statement. In all the tales told of Jarrett, nothing was ever said to complicated. It was said things went perfectly in Jarrett's rescue of Kora. Milo shook his head and erased the comment from his mind, what did this messenger really know anyway?

“I am older, indeed,” Jarrett spoke, “And each day I grow a bit older. I will gladly take on this burden for our king, but I cannot ride out immediately. If you believe the king can wait a week, perhaps a bit longer, than I shall ride forth when the time permits.”

“A week?” The second messenger's voice nearly cracked.

“You must understand I must get my farm in order first and that is no easy task.”

Milo could hear the hurried whispers of the two messengers. It was impossible to tell what they were saying though. “A week, we may grant, but no more.” The first said, “King Van has already sent out his best knights so that allots some time to you, but not much. If finding someone to run the farm is the probably I am sure King Van will send someone.”

“Nay, I would not leave my farm in the hands of stranger, much less my wife and daughter. My son and apprentice can handle things, but I need to make sure they will not want for anything in my absence.”

“A week then. But should you take longer King Van will likely have no more need for your services. I suggest heading to Nyain in a few days time.” The second messenger said.

“Understood and now sirs, you should go back to the king with this. I am sure he is anxious for my reply.”

Milo heard some rustling and the first spoke again. “We go with all haste.”

Chairs moved about and clothes rustled. Milo hurried around the side of the house to avoid being seen by exiting messengers. He watched from around the corner as the men mounted their horses and rode back up the road. His heart pounded with the force of a war drum. The famous Jarrett Bridger was going on another adventure.

“Milo! Sam!” Jarrett's voice boomed from inside the house. The steady thump-thump-thump of Milo's heart skipped a beat. Given the conversation he had just heard, whatever Jarrett wanted could only benefit the boy. He ignored the fact Jarrett had told the messengers Milo and Sam were to be given charge of the farm.

Milo scurried into the house. He found his father moving about the kitchen. The older Bridger was pacing with an apple in hand. He had not yet taken a bite. When Sam and Milo appeared Jarrett took his usual seat at the table, motioning for the boys to join him. Milo sat right away, shaking somewhat in his chair from excitement. He had hoped not to give away his eavesdropping, but surely he was doing so.

Jarrett was no fool. He knew full well his son had been at the kitchen window listening. Still he proceeded as though he was telling this to his audience for the first time. “I am needed by King Van to see to the safe return of Princess Ariane from Prince Kéni.” Jarrett paused. Milo looked ready to jump clear out of his skin. Sam just stood with his quiet patience. “I'm older and not as agile as I had been when I rescued Princess Kora. I don't think I can handle someone so young as Kéni. I need you to go for me Milo and I want Sam to accompany you.”

The news was better than Milo could have expected. Jarrett's adventure was now being passed to him. It would be his turn to show Tiritaea that Milo Bridger could be the equal to his father. Jarrett saw his son's excitement, but Sam's expression had merely shifted from patient to confused.

“Milo is still quite young,” Jarret started, hoping he could dissipate some of Sam's confusion, “He needs someone to carry supplies and provide him with guidance. And in a tight spot even the most capable hero needs a good swordsman at his side.”

“I am no good swordsman, though. And neither is Milo.”

“Aye, neither was I on my first adventure. But I had the good fortune to find the guidance of a Dey warrior. I informed the king's messengers that I would need a week to ready myself. I was hoping you two would set out immediately for the Dey's training school. I will set Leyna to work packing food soon.”

“We can train like the Deys?” Milo's was having trouble containing his excitement.

“Not exactly. But the training master is an old friend of mine. He can offer some assistance. After a few days there you must head straight for King Van's castle.”

“And we're to leave immediately?” Sam asked.

“If you leave before first light you can be at the Dey's training school before midday the next day. You can spend a few days there and then hurry on to Nyain.”

“I will go pack my clothes now!” Milo ran from the kitchen, kicking up his heels as he did so.

“Don't over pack, boy!” Jarrett shouted over after him. He chuckled and shook his head. Sam remained where he was. “You should pack up too.”

“What about weapons? And mounts?”

“I will get my old weapons, though Van may provide better ones. As for mounts Milo can take my stallion and you can take old Bea.”

“Bea is a draft horse.”

“She's the only horse who will take the burden of the wagon.”

Sam tried to hide his annoyance. Bea loved everyone and Milo would be safe riding her. Major only liked Jarrett and on occasion Sam. Milo would be too small to control the stallion.

“The mare, Queenie, would be better than Major. She's already used to Milo and myself.”

“How would it look if Jarrett Bridger's son rode to the castle on that scruffy mare? Queenie is no war horse.”

“She's a fine horse, was ready or not.” If they took Major, trouble would surely follow.

“Not as fine as Major.”

Arguing would be fruitless. Jarrett's image overrode the safety of Milo. Sam gritted his teeth. Major wasn't the sort of beast he wanted to bring along. The stallion was bound to wound or kill Milo. Milo was in no way trained to be a warrior. It was unwise to send him out on Major instead of Queenie. Likewise Sam had a good head on his shoulders, but he was no warrior and that made him a poor companion. The smartest move Jarrett was making was sending them to the Deys for help.

Sam left Jarrett to go pack. Though he objected, he couldn't let Milo go out alone. His head ached and he hated the fact he was being sent on this ridiculous journey instead of a real knight or warrior.

~*~*~

Due to my love of The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy games plus my new found love of medieval literature I've been working hard on a medieval satire. It includes the quintessential hero, like Link or any Final Fantasy hero, the loyal squire, and the mysterious warrior. I'm looking to get it published as soon as I finish it. However, I'm looking for outside opinions with it. Since I'm so serious about this work I'm putting all precautions on it as I put it out into the internet. So I hereby copyright this myself and I'll flog anyone with a wet noodle if I find pieces of this stolen. ;)
~*~*~

Year 1220 of the Second Epoch~

It was in this year of the Tiritaean calender that Princess Kora, sister to King Van III of Tiritaea , was kidnapped by Prince Christopher, son of King Charles X, brother of Prince Kenton future king of Angiband. The fair princess was taken weeks before her wedding to Emperor Percival V, son of Emperor Percival IV of the Dudecim Empire. The marriage would be one that would ever ensure Tiritaea's existence as a sovereign nation. King Van III was utterly distressed by the kidnapping of Princess Kora. It would put the future of Tiritaea in jeopardy.

So the king ordered any and all able bodied men of the kingdom to search and rescue the princess. He sent forth his bravest and strongest knights to find Kora. As it were a young farmer's son by the name of Jarrett Bridger was the one to return Princess Kora to her brother. Though the princess had been returned relatively unscathed, King Van III requested her wedding be postponed a year so that she might recover in peace from the tragedy that had befallen her. Percival VI agreed and the wedding to unite Tiritaea and the Dudecim Empire took place the following year after Kora's recovery.

For Jarrett's part he was proclaimed a hero and he won great renown. He married an island woman, from the western island kingdom, Eurur, across the Atlinian strait. She was a woman who had been employed as a milkmaid on his father's farm. As payment for saving Kora King Van presented Jarrett with a farm a few hours' ride from Tiritaea's capital city of Nyain. Van also saw to it that Jarrett had plenty of hired hands at harvest time. The king was thankful to the great Jarrett Bridger and he wanted him happy and close should his need for aid ever arise again.

~*~*~

Year 1237 of the Second Epoch~

Milo Bridger found tending pigs and helping with the harvest to be a bore. These tasks were not for the son of the hero Jarrett Bridger. Tending pigs was women's work and helping with the harvest was for the hired hands. Some of his tasks were not even fit for his twin sister, Maddy, though she was just a girl and not capable of the adventures he was. But still Maddy worked hard without complaint while Milo moaned and whined most days about his workload. Regardless of Milo's talents in the hero field Jarrett was unwavering in his choice to make Milo work. After all as a youth Jarrett had worked his father's farm, it is what, as Jarrett claimed, made him strong enough to rescue Princess Kora.

Milo opted to sit and watch the rolling hills around the farm. Though not extremely exciting, it was better than watching the pigs devour the food he had just laid before them. Facing north from his barrel Milo was able to see great distances. To the east, but a day and a half's ride, sat the school for the Dey warriors. Though their numbers dwindled as fewer parents wished to part with their children, the Dey's remained the most revered fighters in Tiritaea and Angiband and if rumors were true most feared Dudecim Empire as well. Milo had always wanted to train among the Dey, but by age six he was already too old to be taken on or so Jarrett had told him. Still he secretly harbored hopes of being an exception to the rule since Jarrett Bridger was his father.

To the west, by a ten hour's ride, was the capital city and the main castle of Tiritaea. King Van had given Jarrett a plot so close for the purpose of calling on Jarrett should the need arise. Though since the twins had been born Van barely called on Jarrett. Milo looked to the west each day hoping to see the king's caravan come to beg Jarrett's help. Then Jarrett would take his son as a squire and they would go together to the king's aid. But every day was another disappointment. West was where Milo belonged. Fighting trolls and dragons, just like his father had once done. There was no telling what King Van needed Milo to do. But here he was, stuck feeding pigs, instead of helping the king.

“You're always a hero to the pigs, brother,” Maddy said, patting her brother's back. “After all you do bring them their food every day. No hero is more worthy of their praise than you.”

Milo's face twisted in anger at his sister's joking. She just continued to smile, offering him a drink from her waterskin. As usual Milo had forgotten his own. His throat welcomed the cold water Maddy was offering.

“Ma said dinner will be ready soon and you're to wash up now. She's tired of you smellin' like pig at the table.”

“Well I wouldn't smell like pig if I was allowed to go and see King Van. I'm sure he's got plenty of jobs for Milo Bridger, son of the fabled Jarrett Bridger. Then I wouldn't smell like a pig all the time.”

“You would probably smell like horse and manure. Because King Van probably has plenty of jobs mucking out stables for you.”

Milo gritted his teeth. What did his twin know? Girls never had adventures. They were the ones always in need of rescuing. Maddy would never truly understand his need to perform great deeds. She would never fully comprehend his longing to leave their father's farm. No, Maddy was too much of simpleton to appreciate the hero that lived inside Milo.

Milo was only half right in predicting his sister's thoughts. No, she would not and could not understand the need for adventure, but she knew what it felt like to want to leave the farm. Her father's ego came first and sometimes Milo came a distant second. Little else gathered attention around the farm, by family or visitors. Travelers who came often asked how Jarrett had managed to be so brave on his adventures or they wondered when Milo would take to the road like Jarrett had done in his youth. Maddy was a ghost to them. She longed for Angiband or somewhere where no one cared about Jarrett Bridger and his heroics.

But for now neither twin was going anywhere. Leyna, their mother, wanted them close to home. If Milo and Maddy left nothing would be able to distract Leyna Bridger from the endless praise and ego stroking her husband received from the bards and travelers who came by the farm. Of course none of the Bridger's shared these thoughts with one another. Everything not directly related to Jarrett was usually swept under the table.

Maddy took her waterskin back. “You better start cleaning up now. No need to get Ma upset.”

“Fine, fine,”Milo grumbled, crawling down from his barrel.

~*~*~

let me just say the first sentance I had to read 3 times. Try opening with more of a shocker like "The princess was captured." then yaddia yadda theres a dramatic affect by it.

also while I was reading it, Milo kinda reminded me of whats his face in Eragon. Maddie = adorable btw.

Milo's condesending view of girls is a little overexaderated. You dont have to reinterate his opinon, once or twice is enough.

but overall I like it so far! ;)d

Milo's condesending view of girls is a little overexaderated. You dont have to reinterate his opinon, once or twice is enough.

but overall I like it so far! ;)d
His view is supposed to be exaggerated. In fact most people's opinions will be exaggerated with the exception of Sam and Shaya (who will be introduced before much longer) and Maddy and Master Bede, both are minor characters.

Though I'm glad you like it overall.
~*~*~

Milo was grabbing clothes and shoving them in his old, leather travel bag. At one point it had belonged to Jarrett for his own adventures. A few tunics, some breeches, semi-clean under garments, all were forced into the bag. Like a bitch hound ready to give birth his travel bag was ready to pop.

“Two changes of clothes. That's what Pa always said.” Maddy had sat herself at the foot of her brother's bed. “Remember? Whenever he talked about his adventures he always said he got by with two changes of clothes.”

“But what if I need more?”

“I guess you'll wash in a stream.”

Milo pulled the clothes from his bag so only an extra pair of breeches and an extra tunic remained. He kept all the under garments. Now room was available for extra stores of food or whatever else was needed.

“Aren't you nervous?”

“About what?” Milo sat next to his twin, bag in his lap.

“Bandits, monsters, failure? Pa ran into all sorts of problems when he journeyed. Aren't you afraid of not conquering whatever is out there?”

Milo wanted to scold Maddy for her ignorance, but she was just a girl. She clearly didn't have the same courage in her veins that Milo and Jarrett did. She was just naïve about adventures.

“It'll be fine. I have so much Bridger blood in my body there's no room for fear or uncertainty.”

Maddy crinkled her nose. What an idiot, she thought, but she couldn't voice that.

~*~*~

The Bridgers were all up and ready to see Sam and Milo off. The sun wouldn't show its face for a few hours. Instead Lanval and Morgan, the dual moons, provided the young men with a guiding light. Sam looked into the sky and found Raynold, the fox constellation. Raynald always ran to the east at this time of year. The fox was heading to its burrow for the winter afterall.

Jarrett had saddled Major and hooked up Bea to the old wooden cart. A wooden trunk with leather straps across the top was put in the back. Many of Jarrett's old weapons were inside. Sam and Milo's bags were thrown in the back alongside the trunk. Leyna placed some provisions on the cart as well.

Sam hated the wagon. It was splintered and no doubt Sam would have hundreds of little wood splints in his backside from sitting in the wagon all day. There was also the issue of how old and worn the wheels were. Jarret didn't seem at all concerned with their safety.

Leyna was the first to embrace the boys with her warm, motherly arms. “You boys be careful, do you understand?” Leyna held Milo by the shoulders arms' length away from her. She sighed and pulled him into another hug. This time she held him so tight his eyes bugged out of his head while his face turned red.

Next Maddy delicately wrapped her arms around Sam and Milo. She held Sam a bit longer, raising herself on her toes to reach his ears. “Watch over my brother. He's not so steadfast as you.” Sam pulled the girl into an even tighter hug, lifting her a few inches from the ground. He was glad someone cared about Milo on such a level. Even Leyna, despite her death grip hug, was pleased Milo was going out to win his own renown in the world. Maddy's concerns lightened Sam's heart a little.

He put her down and ruffled her hair, “I'll take care of him, don't you worry.” She smiled up at him.

Finally Jarrett came between the boys. He put an arm around each. “You're setting out on a real adventure boys. Keep to this path and you'll reach the Dey training school. Ask for Master Bede, he once helped me when I first set out. He'll gladly help you.”

“And you think he can really offer us assistance?” Milo asked.

Jarrett released them. He didn't answer Milo's question, instead he herded him toward the wagon. Sam climbed in the driver's seat while Milo climbed into the back. “What are you doing, boy?” Major is saddled for you.”

“Let him sleep a little first,” Sam looked over at Major. The stallion was already irate at being out before the sun.

“Jarrett grumbled, “He's a horse for riding, not walking beside a cart.”

“Hush,” Leyna said, “He needs rest. Forget about that stubborn old horse.” She turned up towards Sam while Jarrett hitched Major to the wagon. He never stopped grumbling. “Ignore him. Just be careful on the road.”

“Yes ma'am,” the boys said in unison.

Sam turned the cart toward the road. Moving quickly, stopping sparingly, traveling into the night, they could make it to the Dey's sooner than expected if they stopped rarely.

~*~*~

The wagon was rickety. It bumped and creaked along the road. Major snorted unhappily behind the wagon and Bea moved along enduring the load with quiet patience. As Sam accumulated more splinters he began to think it would be prudent to unhitch Bea and ride her the rest of the way. However, the supplies and weapons would then be left behind.

As the first day of travel passed Sam and Milo had the unpleasant task of removing splinters by campfire. Returning to the wagon after a few precious hours of sleep hardly seemed like an enjoyable idea, but there was no other choice for them.

Like the day before the boys were up and moving before the moons were gone. It had been upon Sam's insistence that they being moving early again, but after two days with very little sleep Sam could feel his eyelids getting heavy. The day had barely begun and already his body tried to urge him into a nap. If it had not been for the bumping of the wagon he would have fallen asleep long ago.

Shadows were lessening and the noon sun was climbing high. Sam reckoned the Dey school was two miles away, though he was wholly unsure of the distance. But the school was now in sight so they couldn't be too far from it. The thought of a real bed and warm food caused Milo to push Bea to move faster. She still moved at a snail's pace, but he could hope for no less from the horse. Milo had taken the reigns so Sam could snack on an apple. The younger boy whistled to himself and Sam was glad to see Milo no longer had any interest in riding Major. Sam had been successful in convincing him that the Deys could teach him amazing riding techniques.

“Do you really think Master Bede will be able to train us sufficiently in a few days? I'll have to learn how to ride Major and handle a sword, you know.”

“I'm sure he'll be able to do something for you.” Sam threw his apple core over the side of the wagon. He wiped the juice on his pants.

“But in so short a time?”

Sam had listened to nothing, but Master Bede's supposed training for the past two days. He would scream if he had to listen to Milo chatter on about the Deys, so he lied, “I'll bet Bede can figure something out. Deys are renowned for their brilliant training program.” Then again Deys usually began training as soon as they could walk. Their training was good, but they didn't perform miracles.

“I can't believe we'll be there so soon. And I can train with the Deys.”

Then it happened. A loud, horrible crack. The wagon tipped a little and the back dragged along the ground until Sam grabbed the reigns from Milo and stopped Bea. Major stamped, tossed his mane, and pulled angrily against his tethering rope. The stallion was prepared to break through his rope. Poor Bea stood idling in front not even caring about the delay.

“****!” Sam growled. He jumped down to investigate the damage.

Jarrett had never paid much mind to the wagon. He never drove it, never mind that his farm hand's needed it to get his crops to market. Sam grumbled and took a look at the back left wheel. Half the wheel still clung to the wagon, while the other half was lying in the road a few feet away. The wagon was in such poor condition chances were good a little pebble had been struck by the wheel and done the damage. Any well-conditioned wheel would have passed over it with no problem. Sam walked over to pick up the missing piece. The wooden looked older than the young man, there were signs of rot and weather damage.

Milo came up behind Sam to join the investigation. “Can you fix it? It looks pretty rotted.” Milo took the wheel from Sam and looked it over.

“No, I don't think I can fix this.” Sam knelt by the wagon. He touched the crack and sighed.

“You fixed a wheel on the wagon last year.”

“I had tools then. Your father was more concerned with the weapons and Leyna was concerned about food, there was no room for my tools. Even if I had them I don't think I could fix this.”

“How are we going to get to the Dey school?” Sam looked over at Milo. His lower lip was showing the beginnings of a quiver. The last thing that they needed now was Milo crying.

“We will have to walk. Don't worry, it's only a few miles. If we both ride Bea we'll be there soon enough.”

“There's no saddle for Bea. Can't we ride Major? And what about my father's weapons?”

If Milo's lip began to quiver again Sam would have no choice but to hit him. “Don't fret, Milo. We can ride put a blanket over Bea's back and lead Major behind us. When we get to the Deys I'll ask for a wagon to come and retrieve our things. But it's most important to reach the Deys first.”

Milo was turning pouty. Sam needed to find someone to unload the boy on. The youth unhooked Bea from the wagon. He threw a blanket over her back. “Get on, Milo.” Milo obeyed. Sam unhooked Major and led him by the reigns. The stallion snapped at Sam, but still followed. Sam swung himself onto Bea and nudged her forward.

~*~*~

"His hard work made Jarrett respect him."
Instead of telling this, I think you should show it.

"The spiced pheasant from Sam's fifteenth birthday, over a year past, was legend in the Bridger household. The pheasant had supposedly been the cause of a fit of diarrhea so severe in Jarrett that no one dared to enter his chambers until the sickness had passed. Jarrett insisted it had been the spiced pheasant, though Maddy believed it had been the spoiled cheese she had seen him eating earlier that day. Leyna guessed it was just an attempt to get her to stop putting spices in the food. Whenever the pheasant was brought up to Jarrett or Leyna they both got angry, but for Milo, Maddy, and Sam it remained a source of constant amusement."

same with this. I think that in the dialogue they could be referring to all that happened, and we can get the jist, with out this lengthy paragraph.

“I am older, indeed,” Jarrett spoke, “And each day I grow a bit older. I will gladly take on this burden for our king, but I cannot ride out immediately. If you believe the king can wait a week, perhaps a bit longer, than I shall ride forth when the time permits.”

idk...this sounds kinda stilted, a little too formal sounding. plus what on earth would posess him not to jump right in there? The knig wants him, he has no say in the matter on when. lol the king wants his daughter saved now! lol

"You must understand I must get my farm in order first and that is no easy task.”

so what your king wants you now! lol you have Milo and Sam! let them take care of it! lol

lol good post ;)d

I heard a rumor you were back to writing. I've returned to TDL to read and review. I wish we still lived together by the way...

You could call me once in a while, missy. :p
~*~*~

The Dey training school was enclosed by a twenty foot high stone wall. The main gate was made from the heaviest, most durable wood available. The gate was open from sunrise to sunset every day. The gate only closed during daylight hours when war ravaged the land, but that was not a concern in these days for the school.

Inside the walls was a large castle that was second in size and safety to King Van's. The school had once been used by the king of Tiritaea until the great castle in Nyain was built. A stable stood inside and to the right of the main gate. A hundred fine stallions, mares, and foals were housed within. Adjacent to the stables was a series of small houses. They were home to the youngest Deys, each house held four aged five to fifteen. Those sixteen and older lived within the castle proper.

The rest of the grounds included a large outdoor practice ring and an identical indoor one that had been built off the castle. The indoor one was employed in the harshest winter months and during severe weather. Though only tornadoes constituted severe weather in the eyes of the Deys. A true warrior must learn to fight as well in the rain, snow, and night as during the brightest and warmest of summer days. The arms master reminded the trainees that weather rarely halted for a battle.

Away from the training grounds a garden had been set up. It had no rival. Even gentle Empress Kora's garden was hideous in comparison to what the Deys had. Though this garden wasn't for pretty like the Empress's, rather flowers, trees, and berries grew here were used to teach. When a Dey went out into the wild they would be expected to know what plants they could eat and which would poison them. Outside the walls the school's crops were grown. To avoid town and country politics the Deys chose to grow their own food.

A Dey guard stood upon the wall, outside the sentry tower near the front gate. He was watching the horizon. He had been looking on at the activities of a wagon driver some miles away. At first he had seen only the wagon as a blur moving across the plains. But as it moved closer he could see it was two young men with two horses. Some misfortune had befallen the wagon and now both were riding a large draft horse. The guard smirked.

Another guard came to relieve the first of watch duty. “What do you find so amusing, Gregory?”

“Arthur, tell me you see those hapless travelers.”

Arthur guffawed upon seeing the boys on the draft animal while a feisty stallion fought against being led. “I was unaware the sons of farmers could even look at such a fine animal, much less handle one. Don't they usually get whipped for that?”

“Some handling, they won't even ride it. See how they lead it like one leads a donkey!” Gregory laughed. “Farmers' sons treating a fine beast like that as if it were a stubborn old mule. Idiots.”

“Laughing on duty means you're not watching the roads.” A soft, feminine voice floated up from the grounds.

“We are watching the road,” Arthur shouted back.

“Hence the laughing, Shaya.” Gregory added. “You should go retrieve Master Bede from his studies. I believe our source of amusement is headed this way.”

The woman, Shaya, shook her head. Let the idiots laugh. They were just ruining the myth of Dey discipline holding up against any surrounding. She headed across the courtyard to the castle. Idiots though they may be, Gregory and Arthur wouldn't lie about travelers coming up the road.

~*~*~

Milo and Sam came through the front gate where they were met by an elderly man and a teenage woman. The man was dressed in the customary green robes of a Dey master. His hair was long and tied back from his face. Specks of grey colored his brown hair. Crow's feet and wrinkles decorated his face. The girl wore a dull grey robe and her blond hair fell loose past her shoulders. There was something in her soft features that Sam recognized, though he could not quite place her face.

Sam climbed down from Bea and bowed, “Master Bede?”

“Why yes and who are you?”

“I am Sam Windfoot and I am escorting Milo Bridger here to seek your guidance.”

Bede and the young woman cast side long glances to one another. By now Milo was off Bea and bowing low in reverence to the Deys.

“Jarrett Bridger's boy?”

“Yes sir!” Milo snapped to attention. “King Van has requested my father's services and my father felt it would be best to consult you first.”

Bede took in the boys and their horses. “You travel light,” he quipped. “Hardly fit for adventures at the behest of a king.”

“Our wagon wheel broke a few miles up the road.” Sam said.

“I see.” Bede said. He hardly looked pleased to hear of the wagon misfortune. “Well I will send someone to retrieve your wagon and belongings.” He clapped his hands and two young men appeared from the stables. They had clearly been eavesdropping. Both looked close to Sam's age. “Kevin, Jonathon, find a spare wagon and locate Mr. Bridger and Mr. Windfoot's wagon. Bring their belongings back here.” The boys bowed, returning to the stables in order to comply with Master Bede's request. “Young Bridger, come with me so we may evaluate what aid you need from the Deys. Shaya, see to the horses with Mr. Windfoot.”

The girl bowed to her departing master. She moved to take Major by the reigns. Sam put himself between her and the stallion. “He has a fierce temper. I'd feel horrible if Major did something to you.”

“I can handle an angry old animal,” Major snorted and stamped his hooves. He danced angrily as the Dey tried to draw nearer. Shaya moved her feet to avoid the maelstrom of hooves. Sam winced through the moment. “But if you are so concerned with my well being I can put my pride aside and let you take him.” Sam caught a bit of fear in her eyes as she took Bea and led the mare to the stables.

Sam led Major behind her. The stallion resisted at first, but Sam gave his reigns a good tug. After Major began moving Sam caught up to Shaya within. The Dey was situating Bea in an empty stall.

“Put your grumpy friend in the next stall. There's quite the feisty mare in the next stall. Hopefully they'll keep each other company. Or at least they'll bite each other rather than those who have to take care of the horses.”

Sam chuckled. He walked Major into the next stall. With the stallion warming to his new surrounding Sam was able to take in the stables. He imagined this was the sort of place a king would house his own horses. The Deys had hung elaborate banners all along the rafters. The Bridgers lived well enough for farmers, but looking at the amazing banners he thought the family seemed incredibly poor.

Shimmering gold and silver threads, a silky clothe and clearly more expensive than anything Sam had ever owned. The banners even had jewels sewed into them. The jewels served as the eyes to the animals embroidered onto each.

“Beautiful banners,” Sam turned away from the decorations to take care of Major who was becoming impatient at still wearing the saddle and bridle.

“They're fairly out of place in the stables though. They were a gift from Emperor Percival II, the last emperor to support the Deys. The last Dey master, Daines, had them hanging in the great hall.”

“Why did they come out here?”

“Master Bede was never one to revel in Master Daines's decisions. As soon as Daines went into his burial mound Bede redecorated. Rumor is Bede danced around the great hall as though he were a court jester. He even composed a song about how he lived while Daines fed the earth with his body. Of course I had not yet been brought into this world so I was not able to witness this spectacle.”

A vision of old Master Bede holding his robes and kicking his heels moved into Sam's mind. He tried not to laugh because even the stables seemed solemn at the Dey school.

“Laugh,” Shaya instructed. She didn't look like she was about to laugh. “Don't worry, you won't be punished for making light of Master Bede's death dance.”

“Sam guffawed. He glanced over to Shaya. She had her head down and was brushing Bea. He thought he caught a glimpse of a smile, but it appeared only for a moment. Sam worked hard to finish tending Major. The faster he did this the faster he could rejoin Milo.

~*~*~

Back