The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > Other Fantasy Worlds

Notices

Other Fantasy Worlds Harry Potter, The NeverEnding Story and Beyond

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Episode IV: A New Hope 19 21.59%
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 24 27.27%
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi 22 25.00%
Episode I: The Phantom Menace 4 4.55%
Episode II: Attack of the Clones 5 5.68%
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 11 12.50%
Clone Wars Animated 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Frances View Post
I'm writing a story where the Jedi are *defeated* in ROTS but not *destroyed*. Maybe they can make an alliance with the planets and factions making up the Confederacy. So you either get a continuation of the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War starting earlier.
This certainly sounds interesting. Would like to read it!
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 PM

WarriorSatyr will become famous soon enoughWarriorSatyr will become famous soon enough

So, now that The Last Jedi is out, what does everyone think of it?

Personally, I liked it. I have a few notes, but they're kind of spoiler-y and I lost the code for the invisible font.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Honza will become famous soon enough

I heard it is good but some fans are angry because it breaks away from the ideas of the older films. Apparently some established truths are turned on their head.

The Humility, The Pride and The Humiliation.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:18 PM

WarriorSatyr will become famous soon enoughWarriorSatyr will become famous soon enough

I didn't really see that in it. It very much did break away from the old trilogies, but in a way that was more a passing of the torch, I felt.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:22 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza View Post
I heard it is good but some fans are angry because it breaks away from the ideas of the older films. Apparently some established truths are turned on their head.
I'm only upset because of what Disney did with the EU (i.e. trashed it completely) when there was so much better material already in existence.

My reactions are mixed, but 90% negative. Even Force Awakens was better than TLJ and that's a lot coming from me, when I didn't love it at all. I'll probably have to watch TLJ again to fully enunciate my feelings...but I disliked it. Strongly.

After this movie, I feel like Hayden Christensen's performance as Anakin is forgivable over Kylo Ren's emotional state in these films...
Old 12-19-2017, 03:56 PM

tirian_son_of_erlian will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to tirian_son_of_erlian

A delightful, intriguing and spirited film. An adventurous pace but doesn't take itself TOO seriously. A surreal but satisfying conclusion. A welcome chapter to the Skywalker saga, right up there with the Original Trilogy!

Personally, I was happy with EVERY decision they made in this one. Yes, they turned things upside down. Like with "Rogue One," risks were taken. But, as one fan expressed concern over on theforce.net, "The Force Awakens" seemed to take itself a little too seriously. Rian is a brilliant director. "The Last Jedi" shines. I can understand folks having mixed reactions. But the surreal aspects of the film aren't much different than, say, Anakin falling a mile through Coruscant in the "Attack of the Clones" bounty hunter chase, without a scratch. While I loved the prequel trilogy at the time, it's certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. And my love for the old school style has grown considerably with the sequel trilogy. This latest installment captured the playful, corny aspects of what Star Wars is all about. I had followed several spoilers as the project progressed, and was particularly delighted with Leia's graceful treatment.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about. Folks on here certainly have respectable and differing opinions. On the other hand on theforce.net , legions of "dark side worshipers," as I harshly dub them (you can often tell who they are by their dark/"Darth" usernames) might be wallowing in self-pity following Snoke's treatment, which I thought was yet another highlight of the story's hope. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher really delivered and were both given healthy screen time. The parallels to the original trilogy were there but in a different way than with The Force Awakens. In Episode 7 the parallels were everywhere and woven artistically and subtly throughout the film. In Episode 8 the parallels are overt and often comical but nostalgic nonetheless.

It's great to see how well Abrams and Johnson are working together and it's now clear to me why Kathleen Kennedy prefers their superior work. The old questions still unanswered or the new ones created are now less nagging and are simply fun to ponder.

I'm curious as well to know what others like or dislike about the film and why? To be fair, yes I would have liked to see more of R2D2 and Chewbacca. The actions scenes looked at times a tad unpolished, but I thought this visual style lent familiarity to the Original Trilogy. A few classical elements of a Star Wars film weren't there in the way I expected. I'm 35 and went to see the film with a buddy of mine in his forties, his wife and two sons. We all saw "The Force Awakens" together opening night as well. We must have been the target audience because we we're absolutely lovin' it!

Last edited by tirian_son_of_erlian; 12-19-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravis Kenobi View Post
I'm only upset because of what Disney did with the EU (i.e. trashed it completely) when there was so much better material already in existence.

What is the EU?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 PM

tirian_son_of_erlian will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to tirian_son_of_erlian

AK would be best to answer but from my understanding EU stands for Expanded Universe and represents the numerous novels and other media following the release of the Original Trilogy, thus dating back as far as the early 80s. This extensive collections tells, amongst many other things, the story of Luke's offspring. From my understanding the authors who contributed to the EU focused mostly on this later time period until the release of the prequel films (1999-2005) at which time fiction filling in earlier time gaps exploded. Many fans consider all of this canon. When Disney acquired Lucasfilm in late 2012 they announced plans for a sequel trilogy and the disappointing (to many) news that "all previously released expanded universe content would be declared non-canon to the franchise." (taken from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...anded_universe). I never really got into these stories so it didn't have as much of an impact on me. The best I can do is chuck it up to a PU (Parallel Universe).
Old 12-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Okay thanks.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 PM

Now that there are nine films we need a new poll.