The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > The Inklings

Notices

The Inklings The best-known members of the group were C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Charles Williams.

View Poll Results: Vanyar, Noldor, or Teleri?
Vanyar--Favorite of Manwe and Varda 1 6.67%
Noldor--Known for wisdom and invention 9 60.00%
Teleri (Sea-elves) Known for song and as builders of ships 3 20.00%
Teleri (Sindar)--Remained in Beleriand under Thingol and Melian 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Friend and Surrogate Mom

Into the Wardrobe is on a distinguished road

I love that bit! But wait, it's Narnia, I love most bits! Thanks King Tirian!

James A. Owen wrote about this sort of thing in Here There Be Dragons as well in the archelpeligo. I'm sure that was influenced with this bit from VDT and from Tolkein's work too.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Friend of Narnia

Mrs. Pevensie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tirian View Post
I just finished reading the magician's nephew and noticed a similarity between it and JRR Tolkein's Silmarillion (LOTR). If anyone hasn't read it, it is basically the history of middle earth from the very beginning. Anywho, the beginning of Narnia was the result of Aslan singing correct? Well in the Silmarillion, middle earth's universe is also created, if I remember correctly, from singing voices. Just a funny similarity I wanted to convey.
Well the stories just seem similar because they are both about the creation of a world. But I find the one in the Silmarillion to be much more intricate and detailed. Also it involved the singing of (so called) angels. And in MN, only Aslan is singing. Also the creation of Narnia comes directly from Aslan's head whereas the singing and thoughts of the angels is what creates Middle-earth! So there really aren't too many similarities. Actually the entire series of CoN is kinds what's in the entirety of The Silmarillion. Melkor is their (devil), and Tash is the devil in CoN. There are many more similarities between the CoN series and the Silmarillion...but I don't have the patience to list them all, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkissed View Post
T D L

my anti-drug
Skandarnites Anthem Video on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0s7b1xq7DM
*explicit lyrics, viewer discretion is advised*
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Friend of Narnia

Eärendil the Mariner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Pevensie View Post
Well the stories just seem similar because they are both about the creation of a world. But I find the one in the Silmarillion to be much more intricate and detailed. Also it involved the singing of (so called) angels. And in MN, only Aslan is singing. Also the creation of Narnia comes directly from Aslan's head whereas the singing and thoughts of the angels is what creates Middle-earth! So there really aren't too many similarities. Actually the entire series of CoN is kinds what's in the entirety of The Silmarillion. Melkor is their (devil), and Tash is the devil in CoN. There are many more similarities between the CoN series and the Silmarillion...but I don't have the patience to list them all, haha
Actually, in MN it says that Aslan's voice is joined by many other voices (I think it says the voices were stars).

As to the thoughts of the "angels" in The Silmarillion creating the world. That isn't entirely true (if I understood Sil correctly) because they were singing things that came from Illuvatar's (Eru) thoughts...If I remember correctly.

Banner and avvie by me

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.

Last edited by Eärendil the Mariner; 07-01-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:15 AM

Elentari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually, in MN it says that Aslan's voice is joined by many other voices.

As to the thoughts of the "angels" in The Silmarillion creating the world. That isn't entirely true (if I understood Sil correctly) because they were singing things that came from Illuvatar's (Eru) thoughts...If I remember correctly.
MN: True, but those were the voices of the stars. I do not believe they were involved in the creation. That was still entirely Aslan. TS: And you are correct that the "theme" came from Illuvatar, however the Valar were able to include their own thoughts, which is how Melkor created the disharmony and the other Valar had specific things they had "charge" over (water, plants, stars, etc.)

**avatar and banner from www.arwen-undomiel.com**
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM

General Oreius is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm reading the The Silmarillion now, and Illuvatar is pretty much in charge. The people that make up the Valar sang for Illuvatar originally, and then as Elentari said, disharmony was created and then the vision of Ea (or Arda) was shown. We don't quite get this beginning in MN, since Aslan has already created the basic world when everyone arrives, and he is the primary singer. I can't quite remember about the stars or not.

"We were expecting somebody (you know) a little taller."
"You're one to talk."

"What gives you the right [to be the only Batman]?"
"I'm not wearing hockey pants!"

Always remembered in my heart, I know he is dancing with his unborn children and the angels: My Dad.

"I leave my two swords in your back, draw my claymore, and fight to the death."
Old 07-17-2008, 01:29 AM

Default Silmarillion: Vanyar, Noldor, or Teleri?

If you could be a part of the Eldalie, the three kindreds of Elves who traveled to Valinor, which kindred would you be a part of?

1. The Vanyar--the Fair Elves--led by Ingwe, the High King over all Elves. They were the first to enter Valinor, the beloved of Manwe and Varda, and they live at the feet of the Powers. None ever returned to Middle Earth.

2. The Noldor--the Deep Elves--lead by Finwe. They were known as wise, friends of Aule, renowned in song for their deeds in Valinor and Middle Earth. They sought after knowledge and skill, with their hands and in the invention of new words. The most famous of the Noldor were Feanor (son of Finwe), the creator of the Silmarils, and Galadriel (granddaughter of Finwe), Lady of Lothlorien.

3a. The Teleri--Sea-Elves--who were the last to arrive in Valinor. Led by brothers, Elwe and Olwe, the Teleri became friends of Osse, lord of the seas, who taught them sea-lore and music, for they were gifted singers. The Teleri were split before arriving in Valinor. Those who went followed Olwe and settled by the sea in Eldamar (Alqualonde and Tol Eressea). They built mansions of pearl and built ships in the shape of swans.

3b. Those who remained lived near Beleriand under Elwe (Thingol of Doriath). They became known as the Sindar and did not journey into Valinor until the world was changed after the Fall of Morgoth (and even then not all went).

Old 07-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Fresh Bread?

fernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the roughfernshirehobbit is a jewel in the rough

well, considering that young Galadrial is my heroin, i would have to say the Noldor
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Friend of Narnia

Vanyar all the way!! I would want to be one of the elves of the light! To see the trees of light would be amazing! I couldn't imagine being of the elves who didn't get to see that!

Quote:
T D L

my anti-drug
Old 07-17-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Vanyar all the way!! I would want to be one of the elves of the light! To see the trees of light would be amazing! I couldn't imagine being of the elves who didn't get to see that!
Actually, Mrs. P, the Noldor and the Teleri saw the trees of light also. The Teleri not so much, but the Noldor and Vanyar lived in very close proximity until the Noldor left for Middle Earth. Sorry if I wasn't very clear! But I know what you mean. Varda is my fav. of the Powers, though I am personally a Teleri at heart.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Friend of Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elentari View Post
Actually, Mrs. P, the Noldor and the Teleri saw the trees of light also. The Teleri not so much, but the Noldor and Vanyar lived in very close proximity until the Noldor left for Middle Earth. Sorry if I wasn't very clear! But I know what you mean. Varda is my fav. of the Powers, though I am personally a Teleri at heart.
oh yes, I haven't read the book in a while...so I went off your description!

Quote:
T D L

my anti-drug