The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

Notices

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 05-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Location: Sitting under a large willow tree sipping a cup of tea
Celebrion Seregon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Celebrion Seregon

not to jump in on a conversation or anything but...
I'm on another forum where the majority of the users are 15 (yes i know they are my age...but I can barely stand to enter that forum anymore) or in their twenties and are rather immature.People do NOT know how to fight fairly and it never ceases to annoy me...Due to this fact ALL religious,debates,even some OPINIONS threads have been banned.It's ridiculous that people can't behave respectfully while stating their opinions. I love this forum because people here (well the majority of them) CAN hold an intelligent discussion with out flipping out, they respect each other, listen to each other and considers what the other has to say...even a 15 year old like me. I really appreciate that...even if the system doesn't work exactly as it should on occasion.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

That's cool, you are right, the system usually works as it should, and most people here are able to e respectful and gentle with each other.

Which makes this a nice place to visit.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 05-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Darth Sparhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrion Seregon View Post
not to jump in on a conversation or anything but...
I'm on another forum where the majority of the users are 15 (yes i know they are my age...but I can barely stand to enter that forum anymore) or in their twenties and are rather immature.People do NOT know how to fight fairly and it never ceases to annoy me...Due to this fact ALL religious,debates,even some OPINIONS threads have been banned.It's ridiculous that people can't behave respectfully while stating their opinions. I love this forum because people here (well the majority of them) CAN hold an intelligent discussion with out flipping out, they respect each other, listen to each other and considers what the other has to say...even a 15 year old like me. I really appreciate that...even if the system doesn't work exactly as it should on occasion.
I hate to say it, but in my country people always try to tease or insult each other in Internet, that's why you need a draconian penalties to keep things civil.
The forum is a great place, you can argue about the most important things in the world and everybody is kind and respectful.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Friend of Narnia

Location: in the forest in the city. {I should have been in France}
umbrellaxscenexcore is on a distinguished road

This forum is THE most family friendly forum I've encountered. There are all sorts of people here and seeing as it's based off of a Christian series you can discuss many things here that are important.

I just wanted to mention osmething tha came to my mind at reading some of the earlier posts by Doffen and Inkspot about memeber's of the forum saying stuff like "Everyone's being mean to me. No one's listening to me. i'm leaving." When nothing had actually happened.That time, this girl was supposedly CUTTING herself and going to commit suicide fromm these very forums because "no one" was listening to her on the forum, and I remember her, and people DID listen to her.

Last edited by umbrellaxscenexcore; 05-07-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Yah -- the cutting thing is bad. And we did listen to the young lady who had that trouble here on the Forum, and I do pray that she has found hope, and will pray for Julie, too.

Here is the problem with the cutting and the "emo" issues on TDL: they are liable to spread to others. An unhappy girl who has never thought about cutting herself starts hearing about these other kids who find some kind of relief by self mutilation, and she might just try it, then she tells other kids about it ... and it perpetuates because we give it an audience.

For TDL, that's not appropriate. Yes, we want to help the cutter, but none of us here putting ourselves forward as trained counselors -- we are just friends united by certain interests. It would be wrong for us to sacrifice the potential well-being of some members in order to try to "help" other members. The members with the cutting problems would be better to talk to their parents or pastors or real people in their own life, rather than letting their depression spread here.

The good of the many outweigh the good of the one, or the few, when it comes to this Forum.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17

________
Old 07-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Friend of Narnia

Location: Living in the present. Dwelling on the past. Dreaming about the future.
bruiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
For TDL, that's not appropriate. Yes, we want to help the cutter, but none of us here putting ourselves forward as trained counselors -- we are just friends united by certain interests. It would be wrong for us to sacrifice the potential well-being of some members in order to try to "help" other members. The members with the cutting problems would be better to talk to their parents or pastors or real people in their own life, rather than letting their depression spread here.
Well I am sorry if any of your guys have gone out of the way to help me when I act emo-ish. My bad.
The members with the cutting issues find it easier to talk to people who already don't have any opinions on them in real life. People who can give them an honest opinion on things that people around them can't.
If my down-and-out attitude has spread to anyone on here, let me know. Though I certainly hope not.
[By the way - I do not cut anymore. I'm just throwing out my worthless two cents. I see where you are coming from, but you also have to know the other side of things.]

We all flirt with the tiniest notion
Of self-conclusion in one simplified motion
You see the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets
Thanks to *IOWW the Iasc* for the siggy picture. ;]
Little things used to mean so much to Shelley. I used to think they were kind of trivial, believe me nothing is trivial.
The name's Amanda. Though I'll take any nickname that comes along with it. Few can call me Panda.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Beloved Disciple

Amanda, I was not even thinking of you at all in this reference. You haven't bothered a soul that I know of. Blessings, sweetie.

________
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Friend of Narnia

Location: Living in the present. Dwelling on the past. Dreaming about the future.

Sorry about that. I was in a sour mood that day. I should deleate it shouldn't I?
Sorry. Again.

Little things used to mean so much to Shelley. I used to think they were kind of trivial, believe me nothing is trivial.
The name's Amanda. Though I'll take any nickname that comes along with it. Few can call me Panda.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

I solemnly warn you, Bruiser, that if you persist in unnecessarily putting yourself down, you may be found in violation of our peace treaty, causing you and me to be drawn once again into a desperate battle of competing compliments and good wishes and lavish expressions of mutual affection!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Friend of Narnia

No not compliments and good wishes and lavish expressions of mutual affection! Why can't we just share compliments and good wishes and lavish expressions of mutual affection? [giggle]