The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia > The Last Battle

Notices

Old 10-17-2004, 12:39 PM

judyfromkansas has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Susan and the Loss of Her Family/What Ever Happened to Susan

When I first read "The Last Battle" I received a genuine shock when I learned that Susan was no longer a friend of Narnia. Apparently she'd gone materialistic and turned away from the rest of her siblings.

Ever since then, I've wished that Lewis had written a book following up on Susan's fate.

If YOU were to write such a book, what would you have happen?

Me, I'd have her find her faith - and her way back to Narnia - again!

(BTW, "The Last Battle" is by far my LEAST favorite of the Chronicles).
Old 10-17-2004, 12:48 PM
ghost

AlwaysShining is on a distinguished road

If I were to follow it up... I would write a book in which we see Susan grown and married. The main story would be about her children finding their way into the wood between the worlds and having an adventure in a different sort of land (since Narnia would be destroyed by this time). In the end, when the children returned, they would talk to their mother about their experiences; and Susan would find her faith again in Narnia and Aslan through them. Such a story would also have to portray a certain amount of history with how Susan dealth with the angst of losing every single member of her family in a terrible train accident. One would logically assume also that in the end when she refinds her faith in Narnia, the angst will finally be resolved because she'll know that her parents and brothers and sisters are all in the "real" Narnia.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I'mbigger/you'reolder

I like those ideas. C.S. Lewis could really go to town on an issue like the once saved/always saved concept. You may think this idea is a little strange, but you could even gear this story to adults. Ephinie's idea would be cool, because it would relate more to the parents, and how "those games we played as children" might be the right way, contrary to what the world says. "Out of the mouth of babes..." would be a big point to make with a story like that.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Darth Rosy

rosymole is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to rosymole

This may be a little controversial but I'm glad that not all the Pevensies made it to the end - because it makes the story seem more real. People will always fall by way side when it comes to faith and belief in something, and those that remain on the 'true path'; as it were become stronger. Susan's fate shows the falability of human nature thereby reinforcing the other themes and behaviour in the stories.

oh, judyfromkansas - just so you know, strange as it may seen, not everyone who posts on this site has read all the books so be sure to alert the masses if your going to post a spoiler!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 PM

cslouis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by judyfromkansas@Oct 17 2004, 10:39 AM
Ever since then, I've wished that Lewis had written a book following up on Susan's fate.
Yes, it seems important to me too that she is offered the same kind of opportunity for redemption that Edmund was. To see her be received back into Narnia. Didn't the Prof say in the LWW, "Once a King in Narnia, always a King in Narnia." So, she was not sent away, she went away.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:29 PM

dave the gray is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dave the gray

"A sower went out to sow his seed. As he was sowing, some fell... on the rock; when it sprang up, it withered, since it lacked moisture. Other seed fell among thorns; the thorns sprang up with it and choked it.

And the seeds on the rock are those who, when they hear, welcome the word with joy. Having no root, these believe for a while and depart in a time of testing. As for the seed that fell among thorns, these are the ones who, when they have heard, go on their way and are choked with worries, riches, and pleasures of life, and produce no mature fruit."

Luke 8:4-15
Old 10-31-2004, 01:33 AM

judyfromkansas has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by Ephinie@Oct 17 2004, 10:48 AM
If I were to follow it up... I would write a book in which we see Susan grown and married. The main story would be about her children finding their way into the wood between the worlds and having an adventure in a different sort of land (since Narnia would be destroyed by this time). In the end, when the children returned, they would talk to their mother about their experiences; and Susan would find her faith again in Narnia and Aslan through them. Such a story would also have to portray a certain amount of history with how Susan dealth with the angst of losing every single member of her family in a terrible train accident. One would logically assume also that in the end when she refinds her faith in Narnia, the angst will finally be resolved because she'll know that her parents and brothers and sisters are all in the "real" Narnia.
Hmm. I like your idea! But why couldn't Susan's children actually find their way into Narnia? Remember, Narnian times flows differently from our own! Perhaps the children could find their way into Narnia's past - perhaps pick up the events from the time the original Kings and Queens blundered their way back into our world (after the hunt for the White Stag). Perhaps...and this is radical, I know...perhaps the children could even undo what led to Narnia's destruction - and then Narnia could live again! That IMO would rock. Then the oft-discussed possibility of new Narnia books might be made possible - if the right author were found...

Something to think about, anyway...
Old 11-04-2004, 03:04 PM

queensusan is an unknown quantity at this point

I was surprised when I read The Last Battle. But I'm certain that if the story had really happened, or if Lewis had written more, eventually would come to terms of finding Christ again after the loss of all her family. She knew her siblings believed, and I supppose her parents did too. She must have known that.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:06 AM

nejofsherwood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nejofsherwood

Quote:
Originally posted by rosymole@Oct 18 2004, 12:52 PM
This may be a little controversial but I'm glad that not all the Pevensies made it to the end - because it makes the story seem more real. People will always fall by way side when it comes to faith and belief in something, and those that remain on the 'true path' as it were become stronger. Susan's fate shows the falability of human nature thereby reinforcing the other themes and behaviour in the stories.
I agree, oddly I wouldn't like a perfect story. I like that it reflects reality by showing that some people do fall away. Besides, when I think about it, it's better that it's Susan rather than anyone else (or at least any of the Pevensies). I really think that, though no author is perfect, Lewis knew what he was doing.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Bitter Milton

Default Susan and the Loss of Her Family

Wheres Susan now? She didnt go back to Narnia, but is she out of the shadowlands?