On The Run: The Story of Jack Jones

This is the first in a collection of short stories that Ive dreamt up over the years, each will build on the other and become more intense but as for now im just hoping to get some interested readers. I hope you enjoy...

ON THE RUN
The Story Of Jack Jones

Chapter I

"Are we there yet?" Jack said with a sigh as he looked out of the window of the car."No jacksie," a woman at the front seat of the vehicle said in a forceful tone. Jack hated it when she called her that but he wasnt inclined to say so because that would do little other than get him smacked.

Jack was twelve, and rather sheltered for a kid his age. he could do little but stare at his own white t shirt and jeans as they slowly made theyre way across the country. his mother straightened out her purple dress as she sometimes did when when she was going to meet company.

In fact Jack and his parents were going to the doctors office to have his mother prepped before major surgery. and it seemed to him that all they could see were cows, feild, cows, feild...oh look a telephone pole! cows and...you get the idea. Suddenly jack could see a light coming right at them. Just a tractor, he thought, but the tractor trailer seemed to be on the same lane!

Jacks father grimaced,"what the...crazy drunk driver!" the truck was headed straight for them! jack covered his head quickly and his father turned the wheel franticly. the vehicle didnt turn but abruptly spun around carreening into the side of the tractor trailer. jack tried to cover his head but it was too late, the world went black.

When jack came to he awoke to the smell of burning rubber and the general surrealness one gets when waking up from fainting. he wiped the blood from his mouth and tears filled his eyes as he beheld the sight of his parents pale and bloody faces.

jack opened the door of the car sobbing and throwing himself to the ground. he couldnt go home he had no family except his parents. he couldnt go to an orphanage, because he never liked the horrible idea. and he didnt even want foster parents.

he suddenly brushed himself off and wiped the tears from his eyes."Ill make it myself," he said quitely. then taking a deep breath he walked down the road to face the world alone.
---

Sorry it was a bit breif but I had several versions of this all which were to long...I really hope I coveyed the emotion that I needed to. ok... i really need to stop rambling like this... :eek:

You must have clicked the "Submit Thread" button more than once. I'm sure a mod will delete the other one, so not to confuse everyone. :p

Chapter II

Two years later in Celina Ohio...

The school bell rang loudly as the students all but burst out of the doors of Celina High. There was a contant stream of "omigods and "no ways" as it seemed everyone paired off and began talking to eachother until they drove off to wherever.

Three girls in particular were talking to one another as the crowd slowly got quieter. "So, what are you doing after school mary,"a very thin but pretty young blonde said to a girl standing with her.

She was rather strangley dressed beacause this time of the day was quite hot wearing a purple sweatshirt and tight jeans. Truth was her freinds found it suspicious as well and really there could only be one reason.

Her name was Krista, 15 at this time. The girls with whom she was with were Mary (The girl that Krista was speaking to) and Mina. Mary had wonderfully bright blue eyes and long red hair that fell on her tank-top clad shoulders.

Mina was really no more than a goth. But behind the jet black hair covering part of her left eye you could tell she had quite a fair face but she never would show it. She naturally wore a pure black tanktop and pants. all the girls were 15.

"Um nothing really,"Mary said softly,"What are you guys gonna do?"
"Were gonna go over to that kareoke place dowtown," Krista replied,"wanna come?"

Mary was always shy when it came to stuff like this, she had only just made freinds with them and she didnt know if she should."I dont know, mom will..."
"C'mon Mary," Mina cut her off," You cant live your life at the mercy of your mom."

Mary thought for a moment. This could give her a chance to prove she wasnt some insecure crybaby."Ok," she said,"I'll tell mom I was held up."
Mina and krista smiled and told her that they could walk because it was'nt that far.

Mary felt that feeling that you sometime get when you're do somthing you know is wrong. You feel like you should just quit and then you remember you dont have to and youre mind becomes a muddle of things until you've finally done it and its too late.

The girls had a blast at the kareoke(however I wont go so far as to say theyre singing was that good) and it was getting on towars 6 o' clock. Mary looked at her watch and frowned."I dont know how im gonna talk myself out of this,"mary said worriedly.
"dont worry about it," Mina replied," but I think you should go home."

The girls walked slowly down the orange bathed sidewalk as the sun set slowly. suddenly a car pulled up beside them and stopped. the window rolled down to reveal a man with a clean shaven face alomst in his twenties very kind looking but there was just somthing about his eyes...

"hey girls,"he said cooly,"wanna lift?"However the girls were raised I dont believe any of them were idiots."no thanks,"Krista said cautiously,"it isnt that far." the man reached into the inside of the car and pulled out a large metalic item, as it struck the light the girls could see it was a handgun!"Oh,"the man said sarcasticly,"Im afraid I must insist...
---

Thank you for reading, as of now I have 38 veiws but if you want more please reply! :D

P.S thank you Vanessa for you're comments and I appreciate it ;)

I read the second chapter too Joe. It is very good. Don't worry, you will get comments. You made me curious with the guy and the gun. The girls shouldn't have stayed that long in the karaoke bar.
Write more when you have time! :D

Chapter III

A Few Weeks Later In North Carolina...*

The busy streets of downtown Jefferson City were a constant loop of dogs barking and horns honking. People were walking up and down sidewalks and paying very little attention to anything save themselves and for the most part were silent. A tall dark figure wearing a broad-brimmed fedora and trenchcoat stepped suddenly out of the shadow of a small alley.

His face was rather boyish but was a hard, almost cold, face filled with solemn sadness that know one could know. This young man was Jack Jones who was now sixteen. His hair, which was covered by the fedora, barely covered the back of his neck(Jack liked to keep it short). He stood leaning against the alley wall chewing on a toothpick and then suddenly he spat it out. Reaching into his pocket he extracted a lighter and cigarette which he placed between his lips.

"C'mon please baby please," he mumbled quietly to himself as he clicked the lighter but all that came out were a few sparks. He frowned and threw the lighter down in a rage and stamped on it. Jack suddenly raise his head to the sky,"Ok God, I know I shouldnt have been smoking in the first place but toturing me like this is just wrong!" He swung his head around to see a squad car and cursed under his breath,"Oh come on!"

Jack quickly staggered around (he walked with a limp) to find a place to hide. But it was too late the officer had already exited his vehicle and drew his pistol. Jack sighed and walked up to the him with his hands raised and his head down.

"I have the right to remain silent. Anything I can and blah blah blah, just cuff me alread..."Jack looked up to see a familar face."Jerry,"he said in an astonished tone. The police officer lowered his gun and smiled,"Jack? what are you doing here?"

"I was gonna ask you the same question, why arent you at the office?"
"I quit that job and decided to do some real patrol duty."
Jack frowned,"how are things down at the PD?"
"Not to good,"Jerry replied,"As a matter of fact I guess its worse now."

Jack smiled,"Well I'll rest easier knowing theres one clean cop on the streets." Jerry grimaced as another squad car came rolling down the streets,"The keyword here being one clean cop. Now go before he sees you." Jack flipped his trenchcoat collar up to obstruct his face, tilted his hat over his eyes and put his hands in his pockets as he walked away quickly.

Jack walked down a long sidewalk that led to a green carola, much like the one that he had wrecked only a bit smaller. He sighed as he recalled the memory of his parents' death. Jack did'nt brood on it often but he figured it was respectful to remember them in his thoughts at least once in a while.

He reached into his coat pocket, extracted his carkeys and clicked a little remote attached as the car gave a confirmation beep. He opened the door, placed his hat on the passenger seat beside him and flung his coat on the seat behind him. he closed his eyes slowly but then he remembered somthing...

He reached into the glove compartment and pulled out a picture. It was of a young, blonde haired woman laughing and sliding down a playground slide. He shed a small tear, lightly kissed it and placed it back in the glove compartment. Jacks eyes seemed to get heavy and suddenly they were shut fast as he wandered into a dreamless sleep.

Jack awoke to the sound of voices, he opened his eyes and mumbled angrily ,"I swear...one more time and I will kill that old man!" Jack flung open the car door, got out and closed his eyes as he always did when he was saying somthing that had been repeated several times.

"For the last time sir this is not a time-machine! It is, in fact, a carola-." He opened his eyes to the sight of three girls sitting on the ground tied up. There were also two men who had handguns aimed at the girls and behind them was a white van. Jack stood wide eyed and managed to say,"Oh...sweet mother of God!"

*a lttle note that I failed to mention was jack lives in N.C. and the first chapter takes place there, my apologies.
---

sorry it was a bit long but I have to keep ending it in a cliff hanger... thank you guys for all your reading! i have motivation to continue!

Last edited:
Chapter III

A Few Weeks Later In North Carolina...*

The busy streets of downtown Jefferson City were a constant loop of dogs barking and horns honking. People were walking up and down sidewalks and paying very little attention to anything save themselves and for the most part were silent. A tall dark figure wearing a broad-brimmed fedora and trenchcoat stepped suddenly out of the shadow of a small alley.

His face was rather boyish but was a hard, almost cold, face filled with solemn sadness that know one could know. This young man was Jack Jones who was now sixteen. His hair, which was covered by the fedora, barely covered the back of his neck(Jack liked to keep it short). He stood leaning against the alley wall chewing on a toothpick and then suddenly he spat it out. Reaching into his pocket he extracted a lighter and cigarette which he placed between his lips.

"C'mon please baby please," he mumbled quietly to himself as he clicked the lighter but all that came out were a few sparks. He frowned and threw the lighter down in a rage and stamped on it. Jack suddenly raise his head to the sky,"Ok God, I know I shouldnt have been smoking in the first place but toturing me like this is just wrong!" He swung his head around to see a squad car and cursed under his breath,"Oh come on!"

Jack quickly staggered around (he walked with a limp) to find a place to hide. But it was too late the officer had already exited his vehicle and drew his pistol. Jack sighed and walked up to the him with his hands raised and his head down.

"I have the right to remain silent. Anything I can and blah blah blah, just cuff me alread..."Jack looked up to see a familar face."Jerry,"he said in an astonished tone. The police officer lowered his gun and smiled,"Jack? what are you doing here?"

"I was gonna ask you the same question, why arent you at the office?"
"I quit that job and decided to do some real patrol duty."
Jack frowned,"how are things down at the PD?"
"Not to good,"Jerry replied,"As a matter of fact I guess its worse now."

Jack smiled,"Well I'll rest easier knowing theres one clean cop on the streets." Jerry grimaced as another squad car came rolling down the streets,"The keyword here being one clean cop. Now go before he sees you." Jack flipped his trenchcoat collar up to obstruct his face, tilted his hat over his eyes and put his hands in his pockets as he walked away quickly.

Jack walked down a long sidewalk that led to a green carola, much like the one that he had wrecked only a bit smaller. He sighed as he recalled the memory of his parents' death. Jack did'nt brood on it often but he figured it was respectful to remember them in his thoughts at least once in a while.

He reached into his coat pocket, extracted his carkeys and clicked a little remote attached as the car gave a confirmation beep. He opened the door, placed his hat on the passenger seat beside him and flung his coat on the seat behind him. he closed his eyes slowly but then he remembered somthing...

He reached into the glove compartment and pulled out a picture. It was of a young, blonde haired woman laughing and sliding down a playground slide. He shed a small tear, lightly kissed it and placed it back in the glove compartment. Jacks eyes seemed to get heavy and suddenly they were shut fast as he wandered into a dreamless sleep.

Jack awoke to the sound of voices, he opened his eyes and mumbled angrily ,"I swear...one more time and I will kill that old man!" Jack flung open the car door, got out and closed his eyes as he always did when he was saying somthing that had been repeated several times.

"For the last time sir this is not a time-machine! It is, in fact, a carola-." He opened his eyes to the sight of three girls sitting on the ground tied up. There were also two men who had handguns aimed at the girls and behind them was a white van. Jack stood wide eyed and managed to say,"Oh...sweet mother of God!"

*a lttle note that I failed to mention was jack lives in N.C. and the first chapter takes place there, my apologies.
---

sorry it was a bit long but I have to keep ending it in a cliff hanger... thank you guys for all your reading! i have motivation to continue!

Gosh, leave us here. Oh you might want to keep phrases like this one,
"Oh...sweet mother of God!"
out of the writing, I know some of the mods have a happy banning finger.

Neat story! Keep it up!
I would have to say though that it seems pretty weird that the boy would just walk away from the scene of the accident, although it isn't a big deal since that scene isn't particularly important except as a sort of prologue.

Neat story! Keep it up!
I would have to say though that it seems pretty weird that the boy would just walk away from the scene of the accident, although it isn't a big deal since that scene isn't particularly important except as a sort of prologue.

thank you for the ccomment. as far as jack walking away to easily it would slow the story down if I kept him brooding over his parents death(it even states that he dosent like to think of his parents save once in a while)

it is good so far. keep it up. oh, and i agree with ben's comment, you might want to leave things like that out.

Chapter IV

Mary stared at the ground and tried to hold back the tears as the ropes the two men, Mark and James, had tied cut into her hands.

Mark, the larger of the two men, was cleaning his gun while James made sure all of the ropes were tight. Why did she do it? she could have just as well went home and said no to her friends. but, she thought, they would be have been kidnapped just the same. if only we could get loose...

Just then Mary heard the noise of a car door opening a few yards off. Raising her head she saw a young man trying to get into his car. Mark yelled something inaudible(he had such a deep voice you couldn’t hear him that well up close) at him causing the young man to turn around and raise his hands.

Jack winced as he turned around to see the two men standing beside the three girls, one with a gun pointed at him the other covering the girls. the man aiming his gun at the girls, James, looked over at mark, “what do you wanna do with him, mark?" mark shrugged, “I don’t know James, killing him wouldn’t be a bad option..."

Oh wonderful, jack thought, just great...suddenly his eyes met Mary’s helpless gaze. he knew she could say nothing but deep down he knew those shining eyes were begging for help. composing himself jack quickly stared hard at mark,"ok first off, shooting me is about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard."

the two men were rather taken back by jacks bold statement, James scowled and began to cock his gun. Mark gestured for him to put the gun down, “what do you mean?"
"I mean, that killing me causes to big of a mess, you got blood to clean up, a body to dispose of which will eventually be found and fingerprints and all that..."

"So you’re saying that we should just let you go?"
"If you were that stupid I’d say that but you aren’t. If you did let me go, even though I’m homeless-and running from the law might I add- I’d probably give the cops an anonymous tip or something.

"Now your saying you want to be kidnapped?"
"I’m not saying I want to be kidnapped, but you wont let me go and I’d much rather be kidnapped then killed."

Mark formed his mouth into a cruel smile, “ok fine then, get in the van." jack nodded and walked slowly over to the van, but he had one more question on his mind. “what do you plan on doing to these girls?" mark thought about this for a few minutes then strode over to Mary.

We'll hand them over to some caring individuals, “he said as he slowly stroked Mary’s face, she flinched in disgust. “that is after we’ve had some fun..." when jack heard this he all but burst into flames. how could they do this? of course the could, what do you think kidnappers did with they’re victims?

"I-I cant let you do that, “jack said trying to contain his anger.
"Oh really," Mark said triumphantly waving his gun, “and just what are you gonna do about it?"
Jack didn’t really have time to think about consequences, I’m sure if he had he wouldn’t have done what he did.

"oh I don’t know, “jack replied, “something like this!" He threw a punch that hit mark squarely on the mouth causing blood to trickle from his lip. Mark wheeled a little, centered himself on the ground and spat the blood from his mouth. “alright kid, now there I draw the line."

Without warning James had snuck behind Jack and struck the back of his head with the butt of his gun.The world went black...
---

Once again I hope you enjoy, and I will try to stave of the swearing so I wont get banned(and other moral reasons :D)

Back