The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > The Inklings

Notices

The Inklings The best-known members of the group were C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Charles Williams.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
MissBeaver

Hello, I'm a HUGE fan of Lord of the Rings too! I have 3 shelves of books and dvds on Lord of the Rings! I have read the trilogy lots of times and i have read all the other books as well such as Unfinished Tales and the Silmarillion! Lord of the Rings is my first love but Chronicles of Narnia is my second favourite and i love it so much! I think my family think i'm a little strange..my sister likes shopping and my brother likes sports and well, i'm...just abit of a bookworm really! It was nice meeting all you Rings/Narnia fans!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Knight of the Stone Table

PrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PrinceOfTheWest Send a message via MSN to PrinceOfTheWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondor Knight of Narnia
The Silmarillion is kinda hard to follow....i don't recommend reading it late @ night
As I advise my children: if you like Bulfinch's Mythology, you'll love The Silmarillion!

My wife, who's an avid reader and Tolkien fan, found The Sil so hard that she just stopped. Later she was reading an article on how they guage "reading level" (as in, "3rd Grade Reading Level", etc.) One of the criteria was word count in sentences. Turns out a high school reading level book will have betwen 15 and 30 words in it. Out of curiosity, she opened The Sil and started counting. She found several sentences with over 100 words! No wonder it's tough going!

Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Dad & Mage Verger
(Play courteously! Your father is watching!)
Old 11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
MissBeaver

yes, the Silmarillion was very very hard to follow. i had to go through it at a snail pace and it makes your brain hurt! lol
Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Aslan the Wise one is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aslan the Wise one

I just dont call myself a fan but a hard core one lol...

I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.

All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.Mere Christianity
Old 12-01-2005, 05:11 AM

fea~mar~vanwa~tyalieva is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to fea~mar~vanwa~tyalieva

Hey! I love the Narnia and the lotr books equally I read them both every year hehe
and I love the Silmarillion. The first time I read it I was 15, and I thought there were too many names. Now, it's one of my favourite books of all time

Fea~

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world" C.S. Lewis
Old 12-01-2005, 06:51 AM

Starkist is an unknown quantity at this point

I count myself as one of the few Tolkien fans who read the Silmarillian before reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I love it, the history and mythology is so deep.

I am a certified Tolkien geek.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Basilides is an unknown quantity at this point

LOTR was my lamp post
Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Location: Griffindor Dormitories, Hogwarts School of Magic, England
PeterHighKingofNarniaetc. is an unknown quantity at this point

well this is quite a turn out glad to know im with friends i my self have read the lotr series 10 times and the hobbit at least 5

From the ashes a fire shall be woken

A light from the shadows shall spring

Renewed shall be blade that was broken

The crownless again shall be king
Old 12-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Location: Griffindor Dormitories, Hogwarts School of Magic, England
PeterHighKingofNarniaetc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

oops i forgot the historys of middle earth unfinished tales and the like.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:27 PM

littlemanpoet is on a distinguished road

I'm bigger into Tolkien than Lewis, but this site is bringing me back to Lewis a bit. I wonder if we might have a place to talk about the Space Trilogy around here? Anyway, I've read The Hobbit oh about four times, LotR five times, the Sil twice (tried a 3rd but couldn't hold on), the Unfinished Tales twice; scanned many of the Christopher Tolkien volumes, my favorite of all that stuff is The Lays of Beleriand. I've been a member ofThe Barrowdowns since 2001, which is a really good Tolkien dedicated site, based on the same structure and format as this site, which I like a lot too.