The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Professor's Writing Club

Notices

The Professor's Writing Club Poetry, Fan Fiction, etc

Old 12-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

Suspension of disbelief is the very first step. If people can't pretend it's so while they are reading it, they won't read it.

It's hard to get involved with this:

One bright morning in the middle of the night
Two dead brothers got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
Drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise
And came and killed the two dead boys
And if you don't believe it's true
Ask the blind man...he saw it too!

--Anon
Old 12-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Friend of Narnia

LifeMaiden is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LifeMaiden

I'll agree with that, ES.

Beautiful Banner Created by Queen Swanwhite!

Click on the banner to read my Jadis story BOUND BY DARKNESS!

PRO-LIFE and PROUD OF IT!

CHECK OUT MY HUGE DISNEY NARNIA COLLECTION
Old 12-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Franz Kafka's famous story "The Metamorphosis" depicted a series of events which _could_ logically ensue, IF a man were suddenly changed into a giant cockroach. No man ever _has_ changed into a giant cockroach, but Kafka's conjecture of the aftermath had its own internal logic. So with your story, LifeMaiden. If Jadis and the other characters all DID exist, their actions could plausibly be as you have portrayed them. That, I think, is the kind of "reality" we are discussing: events in a story following a path consistent with the premise.

ALTERNATE VERSION OF THE ABOVE STATEMENT:

If you write a story where things happen that can't happen in our world, the story can still be "real" in a way if the things that happen AFTER the things that can't happen are the things that probably WOULD happen if the things that can't happen, happened.

Last edited by Copperfox; 12-16-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Friend of Narnia

Lost Dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I was trying to explain that to my father the other day after watching the tv show Deja Vu. For some reason he didn't seem to get it. But there is a sort of law to it--if humans could travel back in time, they would be able to change the future by changing the events that led up to it. If they could go back in time.
Its very clear to me...

My blog, where I host author interviews,
book reviews, and other fun writerly stuff.

Another day burns away in the shadows
Another blink in the eye of time
I am straining through the blackness
Ever searching for a sign

I will look to blue horizons
and watch for you to come.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Friend of Narnia

LifeMaiden is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LifeMaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperfox
Franz Kafka's famous story "The Metamorphosis" depicted a series of events which _could_ logically ensue, IF a man were suddenly changed into a giant cockroach. No man ever _has_ changed into a giant cockroach, but Kafka's conjecture of the aftermath had its own internal logic. So with your story, LifeMaiden. If Jadis and the other characters all DID exist, their actions could plausibly be as you have portrayed them. That, I think, is the kind of "reality" we are discussing: events in a story following a path consistent with the premise.

ALTERNATE VERSION OF THE ABOVE STATEMENT:

If you write a story where things happen that can't happen in our world, the story can still be "real" in a way if the things that happen AFTER the things that can't happen are the things that probably WOULD happen if the things that can't happen, happened.

You see that right there, Joseph, what you just posted? ALTERNATE VERSION OF THE ABOVE STATEMENT? You could have said that originally in your post and saved yourself a lot of time and effort. That is probably the most SIMPLE and CONCISE statement you've ever made on this forum. I salute you. Let's STICKY THIS TOPIC!!

Beautiful Banner Created by Queen Swanwhite!

Click on the banner to read my Jadis story BOUND BY DARKNESS!

PRO-LIFE and PROUD OF IT!

CHECK OUT MY HUGE DISNEY NARNIA COLLECTION
Old 12-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

I refer to techniques as lenses that bring a mental image into focus. There is no big deal here and don't let the term bother you.

If I had an hour and a blackboard I could fill the hour and the blackboard talking about timing.

One of the hardest things noviates (the nice word for newbies) find in writing is telescoping time. If the hero has to run from the village all the way up the hill to the outpost, how do you do it without describing the entire journey in detail?

I use a number of techniques, the best of which is Changing POV (that's POINT OF VIEW folks) to break up time.

This is way WAY too simplistic to pass as literature. It's an example exaggerated for effect. We have the Blue Army about to shoot a captured member of the Red Army for being a spy. We have someone with a dispatch hurrying along on a horse to stop the execution. We have the Red Army sending out a rescue party. All three converging on one spot.

Blue Army: "Bring out the prisoner! Now we'll show you what we do to dogs like you!"

Red Army: "Remember boys, we're fighting this one for Johnny!"

Messenger: "I must not fail! Come on horse, don't let me down!"

Blue Army: "Do you have any last words?"

Red Army: "There they are! Raise your muskets lads! Ready...Aim...."

Messenger: "WAIT!"

Now imagine if you did this whole thing from the perspective of the messenger.... Come on horsie! Giddy-yap, horsie! Gee I hope I get there in time! Oh there they are! I'm getting closer...closer....come on horsie!"
Old 12-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Friend of Narnia

Lady of Lorien will become famous soon enoughLady of Lorien will become famous soon enough

Excellent point!

It is also difficult to decide which events need to be described in detail, and which should be mentioned in passing. Sometimes, I feel like too much detail makes something boring. Other times, I feel like I'm not being descriptive enough, and not getting inside my characters' heads enough, to make the story interesting. But it would make for a long and pointless story if you got inside your characters' head for every passing thought, and even event!
"So-and-so could feel the sneeze approaching. She reached for a tissue. A bird flew by. [insert a few more irrelevant occurences] Then she sneezed." Pointless, dumb description!

My Ode to the Duffer Objects...Yes, I know it's ghastly poetry...

Down in the valley,
Valley so low
Hang your head over,
Hear the wind blow.
Hear the wind blow, love,
Hear the wind blow;
Hang your head over,
Hear the wind blow.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Friend of Narnia

Elendil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Elendil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningStar
Suspension of disbelief is the very first step. If people can't pretend it's so while they are reading it, they won't read it.

It's hard to get involved with this:

One bright morning in the middle of the night
Two dead brothers got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
Drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise
And came and killed the two dead boys
And if you don't believe it's true
Ask the blind man...he saw it too!

--Anon
I love that...It's so cool! (don't ask me why! It's just...ummm...I love it! )
* Tries to think of something worth telling people and fails.* maybe next time!

I USED TO BE A TDL LEGEND!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

A writer discussing kung-fu movies once wrote something like this:

In a traditional kung-fu movie, there could be one or more scenes where a character talks at some length about how a fighting style developed, and what its strengths are. But in Bruce Lee's movie "Return of the Dragon," they simply have a European gangster ask a friend what Chinese kung-fu is like--and then, without waiting for more dialogue, the camera cuts to SHOW Lee's character in the very act of practicing his kung-fu moves.

This came to my mind when reading EveningStar's "army" illustration.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Friend of Narnia

Elendil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Elendil

Yeah...I like stories (and movies! ) with lots of action in them, but it can't be to far fetched, or else...it's not very fun. Know what I mean? Fantasy included: Lets just say our little friend Frodo Baggins is fighting 100 orks;
Frodo swung his sword sting, lopping off two ork heads at once (not possible!) Then he threw a dagger, getting one through the eye, it kept going came out the other side and stuck another ork. They both died. And then Frodo picked up a 1000 pound boulder, three times his size and threw it at the rest of the orks, killing them all.
(Okay, remember this is WAYYYY out! ) Most stories aren't this bad, but they have to be realistic.This fight is a bit better. (not saying it's well written though!)

Finally the lion jumped. He grabbed the tree trunk with all four paws and started up the tree. Emilís knife was unsheafted in a moment. The lion was only a few feet away. Emil grasped the handle till his knuckles turned white. Then using all his strength he plunged it into one of those awful,vile, evil, yellow eyes.
The lion screamed and dropped to the ground. But it wasnít stopped yet. He seamed more angered than hurt. Again it leapt up the tree but this time the lion lifted one of his huge paws and made a sweep at the knife. It caught and was pushed back so hard and fast it snapped Emilís index and middle finger and made him drop the knife. Emil swung higher up the tree, hoping the lion wouldnít follow. But it did.
The tree was short and dead and Emil couldnít go any higher and the lion was only a few inches downwards. So Emil did the only thing he could do. He jumped.He decided that the lion was coming so he needed his knife. He felt unsuccessfully for the it in the long grass just as the lion jumped from the tree. It roared, and pounced on Emil crushing him under his heavy weight.
Emil gagged at the smell of the lionís breath, it stunk like rotten meat. The lionís blood ran down from itís eye dripped onto Emilís face. It roared, at that moment he felt something under him. His knife! Reaching under him he whipped it out slashed at the lionís throat. But that didnít stop the teeth from coming down and biting and tearing his shoulder. With a cry of agony he drove the knife into itís neck. It sliced deep, and Emil heard and felt when it hit the bone. The lion let go of his shoulder gave a tremendous shudder and dropped dead on top of Emil, and that was all he remembered.

Maybe this fight isn't soooooo realistic, but much more so then the first one! Did I prove my point?

I USED TO BE A TDL LEGEND!!!