The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 PM

tirian_son_of_erlian will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to tirian_son_of_erlian
Default Alone Yet Not Alone

A month or so ago a really good movie was playing in select theaters and I wanted to post about it at the time but was really tied up with some things and didn't get a chance. The Christian film Alone Yet Not Alone told the story of a family of German immigrants in 18th Century America. Set during the French and Indian wars, the young daughters were actually kidnapped by Indians and forced to grow up with them in a culture hostile to their Christian heritage. They faced many trials and eventually attempted to escape.

I just thought the film was extremely well done. The acting was fresh enough and the cinematography, though probably on a limited budget, was wonderful and serene. In fact the escape sequence (because it involved two boys who had also been kidnapped from their families along with two girls) kind of reminded me of the River Rush sequence from "Prince Caspian." Although I thought Adamson's "Caspian" adaptation was filmed well enough, the use of nature, waterfalls, rivers, and the scenic American forests in "Alone Yet Not Alone" seemed to outdo "Caspian's" sequence on what was probably a much smaller budget.

Anyway, I had just wondered if anyone else had had a chance to see the film and what they thought. It was very inspirational and moving, especially the ending. If not hopefully it will come out on DVD soon so you can see it.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't seen this one. But I know that plenty of Christian movies are filmed in wilderness locations, because then the production companies don't have to be concerned with urban traffic and crowds.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really nice

I haven't seen the film, but I read the book it is based on probably ten years ago. I liked it so much that I portrayed Barbara Leininger during a homeschool history event not long afterward.

Poet and sculptor, do the work,
Nor let the modish painter shirk
What his great forefathers did.
Bring the soul of man to God,
Make him fill the cradles right.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Pandawan

MissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenburne View Post
I haven't seen the film, but I read the book it is based on probably ten years ago. I liked it so much that I portrayed Barbara Leininger during a homeschool history event not long afterward.
*applauds* You get major homeschool points for that, my friend.

Likewise, I enjoyed the book as a child. I always thought it would make a fascinating movie, and it depressed me to think about how because it was a little-known Christian novel, that would never happen. I'm so glad that there's a market now for Christian movies, and that things like this can be adapted for the big screen!

I enjoyed the movie a great deal. One can tell that it was running on a low budget, but all things considered, the movie was a great success. I was very pleased with it as a book adaptation and an entertaining film, and had a wonderful experience seeing it with my parents and a friend. It was a lovely, moving, well-done film, and seeing it was exhilarating, because it was an idle, impossible wish come true.

I made my banner and avatar.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

Would it be possible to produce a STAGE PLAY of this story? After all, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" has been transferred to the live stage.