Ah, okay. As I often say, there ARE some book-to-movie changes which DO NOT ruin the story. Tolkien does appear to have been a bit of a misogynist; so, as he looks down from Heaven where all faults are cleansed away, he surely won't be upset now at some FEMALE characters being added to his perniciously all-male story.

Yeah I figure it will be fine, as long as they keep in the spirit of the books. You know, without adding immoral themes or something.

I think a love interest for Legolas (if he's going to be in the movie) would be kinda cool. I personally don't mind if they add things the story a bit to make it more interesting, just so long as they don't change to much.

I think a love interest for Legolas (if he's going to be in the movie) would be kinda cool. I personally don't mind if they add things the story a bit to make it more interesting, just so long as they don't change to much.

I agree. And yes, I guarantee Legolas will be in the movie. They've already released new action figures of him for the toy line based on the new movie (NOT the old LOTR figures).

Went to Books-a-Million yesterday and saw action figures of Legolas...with "Tauriel." I hate to make judgments before seeing the movie...but an elf with red hair is a lot to take.

For an example of another red-haired elf, see my girlfriend. (Notice her ear)
207895_342210989202140_1976926849_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw the movie!

On a scale of one to ten, in which you could go as low as a four and still have some good points, I give it maybe a nine-point-three. Now for a single spoiler.....

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

Beware spoiler!

They really should have let Thorin do better in his duel with Azog near the end. I realize they decided to make Azog a continuity villain all the way through, but it would not have ruined anything if they had at least let Thorin kill Azog's Warg.

I'm very encouraged! I can't wait to see it.
I agree. I am so thrilled to hear people whose opinions I respect loved it! I didn't read the spoiler CF, but I am glad to know you rate it so high. Can't wait to get back to the USA and see it -- but I may in fact wait until my birthday on Tuesday or Wednesday ...

Another spoiler coming up.

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

/ / / / / / / / /

I liked it that both Gandalf and Radagast were depicted as having power to HEAL HARM; but I was grossed out by Radagast allowing birds to POOP in his hair.

I liked it that both Gandalf and Radagast were depicted as having power to HEAL HARM; but I was grossed out by Radagast allowing birds to POOP in his hair.

Haven't seen the movie yet (yes, I read spoilers :p) but it sounds like it does fit with Radagast's characterization in the books. *shakes head*

Has anyone else yet noticed that the actor playing Balin is the actor whose talents were wasted as Trumpkin in "Prince NON-Caspian," and who was a Dufflepud in "Voyage of the not-nearly-so-ruined Dawn Treader"?

Just saw the movie about 2 hours ago now. It was incredible and Awsomeatic. Five stars easy. They changed it a bit, but not enough to hurt the story and the parts they changed I enjoyed. They explained everything very well and had a few *unexpected* parts that I enjoyed thoroughly. They even managed to keep me in suspense about the fates of a few people when I knew that they would have to live.:D

Copperfox: I thought that about their little duel too, but I still loved what happened.:D

I loved it!!!! :D :D :D It really reminded me of the book. And I am so excited for next year... and really annoyed by the fact that I had to leave my cape and elf dress in America since I had to bring "real clothes"... hrmpf...
Spoiler attached...

Spoiler:
And Radagast's bunnies!!!!!!!!!!! AGH!!! SO CUTE!!! :D

I went to the midnight showing, which was pretty fun. The best part was, I was with my friend whose 18th birthday was that day, so I got everyone in the theater to sing happy birthday to her at midnight, just before the movie started! I liked the early part of the movie best, when the dwarves were at Bilbo's house. I loved that they had the songs in there from the book! I also really liked the actor they had for Bilbo. Normally, I don't like movies of books because the actors never look like how I picture the characters, but for once this actor looked absolutely perfect for how I think Bilbo should.
Overall, it was fun, but boy was I sleep deprived in school on Friday! :D

I also liked the way the visit of the Dwarves to Bag End was handled. And Fili and Kili turned out to be downright swashbuckling when the real action started. They, and Thorin, were more human-standard handsome than I would have expected.

I REALLY enjoyed the movie!! I think I would go see it again! The best part of the movie (in my opinion) was at the beginning when Bilbo first met Gandalf and the dwarves, which was also my favorite part in the book. My only regret (and it's not too big of a regret) is that the movie wasn't focused too much on Bilbo's story, and I believe the story was supposed to be about Bilbo. Over all, on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the worst movie I've seen and 10 the best, I would give it an 9.

Not perfect, but still a beautiful telling. The first 45 minutes felt like reading straight-up Tolkien; it was amazing! I'm going to see it again before I give it a rating... but I highly recommend!

Back