Stupid, Stupid Question...

Scott

Hey, all -

Just found this site. Been reading The Magician's Nephew to my nearing-five son (who's enchanted with it, and can't wait to start in on LWW). Have a near-embarrassing newbie question for y'all - How do you pronounce "Digory"?!

Told you it was stupid...

Thanks,
Scott

Good - makes me feel a little better. We're about twenty pages off from the end - if I've been mispronouncing it this long, I couldn't go back now... ;)

Thanks.
Scott

It can be either pronounciation mention - just depends on how posh you are! Super posh peole would go fo the version with the o's in the middle, but the rest of us would stick with the the dig-er-ree version. It's not a very popular name anymore in the UK, unless you go to Eaton or somewhere, and as far as I know i can't this of any well known Americans named such?

ah there are no stupid questions. The first two responses are correct on that, lest we here the name with a British accent. Then it'd be a bit different.

Originally posted by Aragorn51088@Oct 10 2004, 09:16 PM
How about another Digory---Digory Digwillow. Anybody remember old school Adventures in Odyssey? Man, I really loved that series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, I grew up on that. We ended up getting all the tape box sets up until the guy who played did Whit's voice died. Not too long after that, we pretty much stopped listening to it. We collected well over 20 tape sets. Can't remember how many. I think we donated them all to our church's library.

Originally posted by Specter@Oct 11 2004, 02:21 PM
ah there are no stupid questions.
"How does ink come out of pens?!" Sorry, old Gilmore Girls joke.

I think it's DIG-or-ee. I thoght it was a funny name when I was a little kid, and I think Polly says something to that effect near the beginning of MN. Heh, at least you didn't make the big pronunciation mistake I did: saying "Nar-EEN-a" as opposed to "NAR-nee-a."

How does ink come out of pens?!" Sorry, old Gilmore Girls joke.
*sigh* those are the days.
I think it's DIG-or-ee. I thoght it was a funny name when I was a little kid, and I think Polly says something to that effect near the beginning of MN.
that's what i said. lol! but i think that you are correct to say that Polly made a comment about it early in the book.

yeah i love addventures in oddysee...i like the radio theatre set the most! :D yes i think its pronounced ''dig-or-ee aswell. yeah no stupid question...untill fishy posted a rather...stupid very stupid question. j/p fishy. *hugs*

Originally posted by Aragorn51088@Oct 10 2004, 09:16 PM
How about another Digory---Digory Digwillow. Anybody remember old school Adventures in Odyssey? Man, I really loved that series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its actually Digger Digger Digwillow :)
I love Odyssey!

I've always pronounced it Dig-er-ree.

Thanks, everyone. I feel better knowing that there's at least a chance I'm not fouling up my little boy's interpretation of these books by messing up the name... ;)

Scott

Originally posted by Dragon@Oct 14 2004, 09:42 AM
Man, I grew up on that. We ended up getting all the tape box sets up until the guy who played did Whit's voice died. Not too long after that, we pretty much stopped listening to it.
That's more or less what happened with us. I really loved that show!

*sigh*

:ph34r:

Scott: The only thing that you did wrong was reading the books in chronological order instead of order published. But maybe its just me...

Back