Contest 21: Live Like a Narnian

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Ta-Ra-ta-RaaaaH!
Yes, it is new contest time...

What: Live Like a Narnian!
A. Interview 2 people you know who are not on this forum who have read any of the Chronicles and ask them:
1. Who is your favorite character?
2. Why?
B. Report what you have learned to this thread, and add your reflections on how those two characters mentioned in your interviews have impacted [ or influenced, amused or inspired (etc)] you as well.

Deadline: 14 August 2015
Judging: Entries will be judged on Your commentary/reflections on your interview results. Winners/Prizes will be announced August 18, 2015 at 10 am Pacific Daylight Time.

Attachments

• dufflepuds.jpeg
    dufflepuds.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 474
Just to get your creative juices flowing, here is a commencement address I wrote for members of The Lion's Call (another Narnia forum) who happened to have graduated from their middle/high schools and colleges this spring.

Note: This is not a contest entry, nor even an example of one since the scope of the contest entries is so much more limited. But its purpose is the same, so I hope you will enjoy it.
MN = The Magician’s Nephew
LWW = The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
HHB = The Horse and His Boy
PC = Prince Caspian
VDT = The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
SC = The Silver Chair
LB = The Last Battle
blessings, Linda

Live Like a Narnian

“I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.”
--- Puddleglum, in The Silver Chair

It is with joy that we celebrate the graduation of our forum friends. We rejoice with you as you open the door to new lessons, unknown blessings, and to transforming relationships and challenges.

It is an honor to be able to address you as you stand on the threshold of transition… and so I would like to take a few moments to share some reflections with you, drawn from the riches of the Chronicles. No matter what adventure lies for you beyond graduation, I would like to challenge you to live like a Narnian.

First, live like a Narnian in enjoying every day joys, and experience fulfillment in being the person you were created to be. Just like Aslan renewed a feast day by day on Ramandu’s Island (VDT), God promises to supply all your need according to His riches in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19) Cultivate thankfulness; look for reasons to celebrate every day joys. Dance the Great Snow Dance on the first moonlit night with snow on the ground (as when Jill emerged from the Underworld into Narnia – SC); and enjoy the tantalizing aromas of a meal cooked outside in friendship when you are famished (e.g., Poggin’s stew before Jill, Eustace, Puzzle, Jewel and Tirian make the trek back to Stable Hill – LB). Embrace who you are, with the gifts, talents and resources you have been given -- without any need for magically enhanced beauty (Lucy in Coriakin’s house – VDT). Remember Reepicheep: no matter how “small” you may appear, remember limitations are no limit for greatness of heart (PC, VDT, LB).

Second, live like a Narnian by growing in, and living by faith. Grow in your love and commitment to the True Lion day by day. Love to listen to him (as the cabby loved listening to Aslan singing Narnia into being – MN) and grow deep in his word, embracing the stories (as did Prince Caspian – PC). "Do not dare not to dare" to come to him, trust him fully and take him at his word (Aslan’s charge to Bree in the Hermit’s refuge – HHB). Do not dare not to dare to drink deeply from his stream, the one and only life giving thirst blasting stream, the only true source of refreshment and satisfaction (Jill in the opening of SC; John 7:37-39). Choose to obey his word no matter what anyone else says or whatever the circumstances. Remember good honest, faithful Puddleglum who chose to follow Aslan’s sign to free Rilian when asked to do so in Aslan’s name, even though Jill, Eustace and he feared the prince might transform into a serpent and kill them (SC):

------------------------
“Oh , if only we knew!” said Jill [Pole].
“I think we do know,” said Puddleglum.
“Do you mean you think everything will come right if we do untie him?” said [Eustace] Scrubb.
“I don’t know about that,” said Puddleglum. “You see, Aslan didn’t tell Pole what would happen. He only told her what to do. That fellow will be the death of us once he’s up, I shouldn’t wonder. But that doesn’t let us off following the sign.”

------------------------
It is not up to us to judge when it is appropriate to obey the word and signs of the True Lion. It is up to us to know him, keep his word close to our hearts, and to respond faithfully even if others are not willing to join with us, as did Lucy when Aslan --unseen by others-- was calling her to go with him in the middle of the night (PC).

Finally, live like a Narnian in the way you deal with challenges. Beyond graduation lies an open door leading to the unknown. But remember it is the True Lion who is in control, and it is He who loves you most of all. Digory longed for Aslan’s help for his mother but instead was set off to fetch an apple that would be a seed of a tree of protection from the White Witch for ages to come. Take comfort in the compassionate empathy of the True Lion and choose integrity and honor even in the face of temptation (eg., Digory before his quest and in the walled garden beyond Narnia– MN). When in trouble call on the Lion of Judah and you can be sure help will come although it may not be in a manner or timing that you expect (e.g., the blowing of Susan’s horn in LWW and PC). When facing a crisis, the beavers knew to go to Aslan first rather than dashing off trying to rescue Edmund from the Witch’s stronghold (LWW). And when confronted by a choice or a challenge, seek first the True Lion with all your heart, and embrace his plans for you:

------------------------
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:11-13)
------------------------

True Narnians also know how to confront failure and move on: first own up to your mistake, confessing to the Lion and to those you hurt and then turn away from darkness to light (eg., Edmund’s betrayal –LWW, Bree’s pride – HHB, Lucy’s vanity – VDT, Puzzle’s gullibility – LB). Remember restoration and transformation is possible, but true change starts with the True Lion: we cannot undragon ourselves (e.g., Eustace – VDT).

In the Last Battle there comes a dreadful moment when King Tirian, Jewel the unicorn, Poggin the dwarf, Puzzle the donkey, Farsight the eagle, and Eustace and Jill realize that Cair Paravel is fallen to the Calormenes, Roonwit the Centaur and their hope for reinforcements lay dead, and Narnia is no more. There is a long sobering silence, and then finally Jewel exhorts the king, “…Nothing now remains for us seven but to go back to Stable Hill, proclaim the truth, and take the adventure that Aslan sends us.” May we likewise, in times of crisis, face our opposition bravely, proclaim the truth and embrace the adventure the True Lion sends us.

As we look to the future with anticipation and expectation with each of you graduates, I pray that you may all live like Narnians. Enjoy your achievements and rejoice in who you are and how God is at work in and around and through you. Appreciate the wonders of every day and be thankful. Live by faith, drawing ever closer to the True Lion our Lord Jesus, and respond to life’s challenges with courage, integrity and vision.

Further up and further in!

I'm sorry, I really wanted to do this, but there simply is TOO MUCH real-world trouble going on. And I can't even talk about it. :(

Back