Username Changes

I really, really hate to rain on anyone's parade here, but for those who still haven't gotten the word, we've implemented a policy of not changing usernames without compelling reason. The reasons are explained in our FAQ thread (see the bottom - point #16). Thus even I, who could change my own name to Bigfoot, will not be doing so, because of the reasons specified there.

Trust me, you want this. For a while there we were changing usernames on request, and it got to the point where we Guards were changing one or two names a day. Then the other mods jumped us in the mod lounge about how difficult it was to administer the forum when you could never tell who was a new member and who was an old member with a new name, etc., etc. Since we've cut back, it's been much calmer and easier all 'round.

One exception: if you've changed usernames a few times and want to revert to an earlier one (like Gentle Voice), we'll permit that.

what'd be considered a good reason? o_O
I only changed my name once. A few months after I joined and I never changed it since then. But I can understand it. People changed their names so often.
But if only members who changed their usernames can switch back they can't switch back to all of their former usernames I hope (if they changed it a lot) because then it would be unfair. And some of the usernames are already forgotten because they changed it before anybody could get used to it.

Last edited:
what'd be considered a good reason? o_O
There aren't many. Preferring to revert to an earlier, more well-known name would be one. Perhaps inadvertently choosing a name that was too close to an existing member's name. Misspellings. There might be any number of them, which is why we consider them on a case-by-case basis. You can always ask, but be prepared to get a no. Our cutting back has actually helped - people find they can live with their names after all, and there's a lot less confusion about who is who.

Also, I like concepts like Gil-galad Took. It's a wry juxtaposition.

We joined around the same time ;) I didn't post much on TDL until August 2006. My former username used to be Peter_lover because I loved the character of Peter so much. But because it sounded a bit like a fangirl, I changed it :D

Ok, sorry. Double post. But I have a reason.
Now I can post that I was formerly known as Barbarian_from_the_North but before I tell you the reason why I changed it, I dare you to go ahead and type it ten times!

Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North
Barbarian_from_the_North

...okay i copied it. got me.

Htron_eht_morf_Nairabrab