The Hunger Games: Books/Movies

I've read the whole series and I wouldn't say that there is an overt spiritual meaning. But I think some of the themes can be viewed from a Christian perspective. In fact, the books pretty much revolve around the sacrifice that the narrator makes for her little sister - she practically gives her life for her. One could definitely connect this to the cross. On top of this, there is plenty of discussion about identity, good vs. evil, compassion, and standing up for one's morals. I don't believe THG is allegorical like Narnia, but I think it definitely covers similar ground. It gives you a lot to think about.

Also, I would add that in terms of content, this series is a lot cleaner than most young adult books. Though it contains a lot of violence, there is almost no verbal or sexual obscenity. My mom read it and she had no problem with it, and she has pretty traditional values when it comes to literature.

Okay, get ready for crazy Katy to come out...

I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE THE MOVIE!!!!!! I might go see it on Saturday with my friends Meghan and Megan, or I might go see it over spring break (NEXT WEEK!!!!) with my aunt and twelve-year-old brother. I think they'll let him in. He's going to be twelve and a half in only five months... Haha. I downloaded two free trailers off iTunes and they got me all pumped :) SO EXCITED!!!!! :D

Also, I would add that in terms of content, this series is a lot cleaner than most young adult books. Though it contains a lot of violence, there is almost no verbal or sexual obscenity. My mom read it and she had no problem with it, and she has pretty traditional values when it comes to literature.

Which is one reason why, I would rather buy into THG craze than Twilight. I know it's a series about children killing children, but at least there are no vampires, werewolves, or Satanism around.

Speaking of the movie...22 hours until I get to see it! I'm very very excited, and I"m trying my best NOT to read reviews or anything. ;)

Future-set Distopias aren't really my cup of tea, so I've never read the books. I'm sure they're very good.
I'm going to see the movie today because my friends invited me. It looks enjoyable enough, even if it isn't my type. :D

I read Book One, and I was appalled.

*** BOOK SPOILERS ***

The boy and girl who didn't die are the big winners and celebrated as heroes at the end -- but for what? Because they managed to kill off all the other participants but each other? OK, they chose not to kill each other, which was good ... but in the meantime kids died all around them, and they either killed them or let them die, because that's what they had to do to survive ... What kind of message is this? It's very disturbing. I never read the next book because I was so revolted by the first one. Yes, the young woman is very sympathetic because she chooses to go to the arena in place of her sister. But she doesn't go there to lay down her life like Christians sent to the lions, but to fight for survival, which she does, as does the other hero, and kill off the other kids. For no reason. None of these young people has any issue with the other. They're just tossed together and told only one can live. But, seriously? If they all refuse to kill each other, wouldn't they all live? And wouldn't that be more noble than just hiding out, trying not to get killed or kill anyone else while all around you the others kill and get killed?

OK, end of my rant. But based on book one, I cannot recommend this at all. I will be curious to see what book fans have to say about this, and about the movie.

I find it slightly amusing that a book where children viciously murder each other for sport is lauded for not having sexual themes and therefore being better than series that don't involve wanton murder but do have the odd kiss here and there.

Not a fan.

Liked it better when it was Battle Royale.

I read Book One, and I was appalled.

*** BOOK SPOILERS ***

The boy and girl who didn't die are the big winners and celebrated as heroes at the end -- but for what? Because they managed to kill off all the other participants but each other? OK, they chose not to kill each other, which was good ... but in the meantime kids died all around them, and they either killed them or let them die, because that's what they had to do to survive ... What kind of message is this? It's very disturbing. I never read the next book because I was so revolted by the first one. Yes, the young woman is very sympathetic because she chooses to go to the arena in place of her sister. But she doesn't go there to lay down her life like Christians sent to the lions, but to fight for survival, which she does, as does the other hero, and kill off the other kids. For no reason. None of these young people has any issue with the other. They're just tossed together and told only one can live. But, seriously? If they all refuse to kill each other, wouldn't they all live? And wouldn't that be more noble than just hiding out, trying not to get killed or kill anyone else while all around you the others kill and get killed?

OK, end of my rant. But based on book one, I cannot recommend this at all. I will be curious to see what book fans have to say about this, and about the movie.

But Collins is making a point that any government who has such control over its citizens should be stopped, otherwise we could end up like those in THG. From what I know, the government has such strict control over these districts that they feel like they have to kill and fight in order to survive, or they face the threat of being killed by the government (even if it is through methods such as starvation; ex. the American Indians and the pointless slaughter of the buffalo herds, so we are just as guilty of things like this as those in THG). Remember, Hitler used a ton of propaganda against the Jews, and it was effective. Is it appalling? yeah, but I don't think it's appalling without some sort of cautionary message: as a society, we love blood and gore (so, why does that make us better than those in THG who watch these games for entertainment? We Americans pay millions-billions each year to watch the goriest, bloodiest, most violent horror films). And I don't think that the world in THG is a totally fantastical world at all; I think we could very much become like such a world, and the thought in itself is frightening.

Lila, you can find Christian symbolism almost anywhere if you look hard enough. I don't consider The Hunger Games to be symbolic. There is some redemptive value to the story, but it's not intended as an allegory and does not come across that way to me.

Inkspot, I understand and respect your opinion on the books. I too am uneasy about the book, and feel that it requires discernment. However, I just want to point out that the author of the book was not trying to say that the events going on in her story were good things to be happening.

By no means was she promoting this kind of behavior or calling it acceptable. It is brutal and horrific, and is portrayed to be just that.

The characters are under an oppressive government. There is no way out. They can't just say that they don't want to participate: the games were first instituted as a punishment for rebellion, and the characters are forced to pretend to be all right with it or be punished.

Yes, the winners were treated as heroes, but the author does NOT intend for us to go "wow! They were the survivors! That's awesome!" The winners were victims in the circumstances. Those who rejoiced in their victory were in the wrong, and shown to be that.

Because of the subject matter of the books, I would never recommend them to a young reader. Even in recommending the series to a mature teen, I would attach a big disclaimer. However, I feel that the book wrestles with serious issues in an appropriate manner, and was very thought-provoking. I'm not arguing with your opinion, because I completely understand your aversion to the books, I just want to say that the themes you are so disgusted with were intended to be disgusting, not paraded right or even accepted as OK.

I've read the first book, and I'm seeing the movie tonight. So I'm avoiding spoilers until then... :D
I hope that you enjoy it. :D

I wasn't planning to see the movie. I was unhappy with some of the casting, and nothing in the trailers looked like I imagined. xD More importantly, I feared that if I saw the first movie, that I would then want to see the second, and then the third... And I'm never going to read "Mockingjay" again, much less see it adapted to film! Since I had no significant desire to see the first movie, I thought that I would just abstain.

Welllll... Many of my friends went to midnight showings last night, and raved about the movie. They said that it followed the book very well, and apparently the acting was fantastic, even I objected to the physical attributes of actors put in certain roles.

I have had in-depth discussions about the books with one of these friends. She and I are of the same opinion in almost everything about the books, although she was excited for the movie and I was not. When she returned from the midnight showing with a rave review, and strongly encouraged me to see the movie, I was inclined to think that I would enjoy it after all. She was able to address and allay particular concerns I'd had, whereas enthusiastic fans who never saw from my point of view couldn't have the same credibility.

I'm not planning to see the movie in theaters, though. I'm going to wait to watch it on DVD. I really hope that the movie does well financially. I certainly expect it too! Almost everyone I know is going to go see it. xD Even though I have some concerns about the movie, I know that it is a high-quality, mostly clean adaptation that deserves to make lots of money.

I'm going to the movie tonight. I'm really excited, it got really good reviews. I got my parents to read them, they like it, once they get past the futuristic parts.

I'm going to wait to watch it on DVD. I really hope that the movie does well financially.

*snickers*. No fear of that in the least. It pulled in almost $20 million from the midnight showings last night ALONE. I have a feeling that today-Sunday will see it at least double, if not triple that amount. It's crazy.

And I've read on several sites that "book fans will not be disappointed in the movie". Now, whether that's true or not, I don't know. I have classmates who are big book fans, so I'll ask them tomorrow night after we see it how close they thought it was to the book.

I am a book fan of the series and I AM NOT DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!:D:eek: :D I APPROVE OF THIS FILM!!! I loved it...I'm going back tomorrow to see it again. I wish I could've gone to the midnight showing though---I couldn't due to miscommunications between me and my mom!:mad:

Lila, you can find Christian symbolism almost anywhere if you look hard enough. I don't consider The Hunger Games to be symbolic. There is some redemptive value to the story, but it's not intended as an allegory and does not come across that way to me.

Yes, I get that. I wasn't trying to say that it was allegorical. I just wanted to make the point that it's not a series devoid of any valuable meaning whatsoever. Personally, I think literature can hold meaning beyond what the author intended... I would never put it past God to communicate spiritual messages through secular books. :)

Inky, I totally understand and appreciate your complaints. If it weren't almost midnight, I would type a more substantial reply. Hopefully I'll get around to doing it tomorrow, because I like what you have to say and I want to share my thoughts about it.

So... my mom caved in (to her own desires and curiosities) and decided to buy tickets to the IMAX version of the movie!! They were expensive, but I think it'll be worth it. I can't wait to see it. The only things I've seen in an IMAX theater were documentary-type educational films.

I've heard great things about it. I'm so excited!

*** Book One Spoilers ***

I appreciate that the author must eventually be making the point that what happens to these chidlren is bad, and I hope that by the end of book 3, the horrific government is put down, and the games ended.

But as far as book one, there's no denying the vicarious thrills when the young heroine is presented in the technicolor flaming dress, when you realize that she and the hero are the "stars" of this gruesome show -- their fame is presented as a positive, even though the heroine herself doesn'rt embrace it, there's no denying that any young woman reading this is encouraged to know that the heroine is popular, pretty, presented as an American Idol and part of a great drama as she struggles to survive and keep her "boyfriend" alive. When they play up to the cameras, they're rewarded, etc.

This is too blatant a mixture of positive and negative, to my mind. She is presented as a "winner" in every sense of the word because she simply survives, looks good, and doesn't kill her boyfriend. I just can't buy this as a good message, even encased in a greater message which I assume it must be. I think it's bad.

but I will be interested to see what fans have to say in response.

I saw the movie last night and I was totally happy with it! It was faithful to the book in so many ways, and I loved who they cast in the film. Jennifer Lawrence was brilliant as Katniss. It captured the feeling of not knowing what was going to happen or who was going to survive just like I got when I read the book. I enjoyed the reaction of some of the audience members when certain events happened in the movie. You could really tell who has read the book and who hasn't by paying attention to the audience.

The anticipation of who would get picked was built up fantastically in the film, and when Katniss volunteer's to take the place of Primrose is a very powerful scene. The death of Rue and Katniss's reaction was a very heartfelt moment. Also the scenes of Katniss and Peeta helping eachother out, and being close, and protecting eachother were so powerful and just like I imagined it. The final battle scene and all the interviews in the film were done well. I give it five bow and arrows. The line to wait to get into to see the movie was all the way out into the street and was blocking traffic that the people at the theater had to make us move onto the sidewalk.

Last edited:
So... my mom caved in (to her own desires and curiosities) and decided to buy tickets to the IMAX version of the movie!! They were expensive, but I think it'll be worth it. I can't wait to see it. The only things I've seen in an IMAX theater were documentary-type educational films.

I've heard great things about it. I'm so excited!

I love IMAX, unless it's not a domed theater screen. I've been so spoiled on the domed screens, I can't deem anything an 'IMAX experience' without the dome. ;) But they are pretty neat. Unfortunately, I don't think there's an IMAX anywhere near me. :(

Spoilers!

So, I just got back from seeing the movie. First of all, I liked it. I didn't when I first left the theater, but after thinking about it, I do. Second of all, I will be willing to admit that watching the violence was hard; especially when you consider the ages of the children. Third, I felt like the propagandist/totalitarian aspect of the film was done well, exemplified by the fact that the heroes are reluctant. They certainly didn't want to be there, and I really liked the part in the movie when Katniss gave the salute, and District 11 started a revolt (however short lived). I cried when Rue died.

I thought the acting in this movie was great. You know a movie draws you in when you feel as oppressed as the characters in District 12. The glimpse into their lives, the bleakness, the uncertainty of not knowing what would happen, and the fact of helplessness against a brutal government made me wonder if that's how it felt for the Jews and others oppressed by the Nazis and other groups.

My only complaint: I was kind of bored. There's a difference between a good boring and a bad boring...this was a good boring. Maybe it's because I haven't read the book, but I felt pretty bored until the games started. Actually, my only other complaint is that now I'll have to read the books because I want to know what happens. :rolleyes:

spoilers ahead

I'm glad to hear you liked it, Aravis! I did too. Well... I more than liked it. :p I really, really loved it. But I'm not without my complaints.

I definitely understand the whole boredom thing. At times, I felt that way as well. I think some of it had to do with the way Katniss was portrayed. Jennifer Lawrence did an incredible job, but I think the creators of the movie took a lot of liberties with her character. I thought they completely changed her personality. In the book, she was arrogant, stubborn, and had a sense of determination that was absent from the movie. She was driven by her anger. Peeta was supposed to be the complete opposite - mellow, calculative, kind, and personable. In the book, they balanced each other out; they were sort of like yin and yang. But in the movie, their personalities were less contrasting.

Another big problem I found was Gale - I'll be blunt, he was way too attractive. I thought he, like Katniss, was supposed to come across as angsty and a bit unpleasant. I'm curious to see how this changes in the next movie. I mean, I'm sure that they will be ramping up the angst since the love triangle becomes so important.

But even though I was confused and a bit unhappy with some of the changes they made, I understand their purpose in the film and I don't see them as huge distractors. Really... all things considered, the movie was very close to the book. Much of it made me smile because it reminded me of the original images I had in my mind when I was reading it.

I think the biggest success of this film is the way it took an already powerful story and transformed it into an even more poignant one. Certain scenes like the reaping, Rue's death, and even Cato's death made me feel a new spectrum of emotion. They added a layer of solemnity that really put the ruthlessness of the Capitol into perspective. I think it's important that this was accomplished, because otherwise it would have seemed like just another teen action movie that included violence for entertainment.

So... yeah. I think The Hunger Games is one of those movies that requires a lot of thought even after you watch it. It's incredible how much meaning a film can add to a story without altering it in any dramatic way. I think it's a work that can stand on its own, which is really saying something, since most films based on book series are pretty hollow representations of their predecessors.

Even if you haven't read the books, I would wholeheartedly recommend this movie. It's pretty spectacular.

Back