The Great Divorce

Great Divorce -- the play

Wow I got to see this play this past weekend and it was a wonderful adaptation, using projections and choreographed actions to bring this gem of a book to life in creative, thought-provoking ways. We drove almost 1-1/2 hours to get there, but it was so worth it! The house was packed and so the standing ovation at the end was thunderous!

I missed the scene with the Tragedian (it was cut from the play), but what Did make the script was powerfully presented. Two thumbs way, way up...!

I am so glad you got to see it! I felt the same way ... The scene with Sarah Smith and the Tragedian is my favorite in the entire book, and it was passed over. :( I hated that! (They mentioned Sarah, but the way it was presented, you couldn't tell much about her.)

I loved the play, but I love the book ... my husband who had not read the book had no idea what was happening throughout most of the play (although I had told him the gist of it on the way to the theatre). He totally missed what happened with the salamander, and that was one of the scenes that had me nearly in tears. He just couldn't tell from the action what was happening or what it was supposed to represent. :( Another couple in our acquaintance went -- the man had read the book a few years back, the wife had not read it -- and they were just confused the entire time.

For me, I loved it, and was very moved by so much of it, but I am quite familiar with the book. I think maybe you have to be, in order to get what's happening.

I think what might help is if they made a movie and could do real special effects, then it would be more obvious what was happening, for people who aren't that familiar with the book. Also they could put Sarah and her scene back in!

@Inky
Yes to get the shrinking of the man who is with the Tragedian you would definitely need to have special effects or animation or something.

Did you stay for the discussion with Max MacLean after the play? We did and the question came up about why that scene was cut. Apparently it was in an earlier version of the script but didn't work out (as to why, no details given). But the writers wanted to keep Sarah in her glory and greatness (in her obscurity) builds toward a satisfying climax with the man with the salamander scene...

No we didnt stay for the discussion -- my husband was ready to go after the play.

They really did an amazing thing just to get the foundation of the book in there with only 3 actors, so it is no wonder they couldn't fit everyone's favorite scenes in. What they did fit in, within the limits of a live stage play, was very gripping and thought-provoking. I would go see it again -- but I would have to alone! Don't think my husband would be up for it a second time.

TGD doesn't have a dedication to anyone. This is strange because so many of Lewis' other works do. This is an inspiring work so you would think he would dedicate it. Lewis does refer to a SyFy writer that he wants to give credit for how he describes heaven as so much more substantial than the shades. Lewis has a habit of not giving credit any more than needed. I don't even think "Scientifiction" is even a real name of a magazine. Though I bet Lewis had a drawer full of SyFy magazines. He did the same thing in The Abolition of Man with “The Green Book”, by “Gaius and Titius”. Does anyone want to guess who the SyFy writer was. I pretty sure it wasn't referring to The Time Machine by H. G. Wells.

Yes, he admits that he can't even recall the name of the writer, and simply identifies the class of magazine. It would be interesting to see if anyone could track that down!

The theme of "insubstance" as a metaphor for sinfulness and willfulness is sheer genius on Lewis' part. We have hints of it in our common language, such as "dissolute" meaning someone who has been overcome by his weaknesses. I admit that I shamelessly ripped off the concept in one of my short stories (though I duly credited Lewis for the idea). It's called The Ghost of Midgard Manor, and it's a straight-up allegory of our human condition and the story of salvation. My publisher accepted the collection of stories nearly three years ago, and even paid me an advance, but they haven't yet published them (which they intend to do as e-books.)

Back