• I love the movies, but haven't read the books yet

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I'm all about the movies - forget the books

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • What books?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I love them both.

I love them both but I sorta like the movie a little bit better. I can actually kno what the characters look like.

I love them both but I sorta like the movie a little bit better. I can actually kno what the characters look like.
Actually, you don't. The actors and actresses chosen for the movies didn't resemble Lewis' descriptions in the book. For instance, it's repeatedly stated that Lucy was "fair" - i.e. blonde - yet brunette Georgie was chosen to play here. For that matter, the Baynes illustrations depict Edmund as blonde as well, which Skandar certainly wasn't.

I don't think the filmmakers should have been restricted by trivialities like hair color, but just so you know that the characters in the movie didn't look like Lewis' descriptions in the books.

You could say the same about Paul Sheldon from Stephen King's Misery. Whenever I get in a discussion about the movie with my mother she always brings up the trivial, "James Caan didn't look at all like the Paul Sheldon from the book!" People should also be chosen for acting ability, not just looks.

But yes, I do agree about Lucy and the others looking vastly different from Lewis' description, in my mind, before I saw the movies. Still though, I don't mind the change. :)

The cast (kids) chosen for the movies did a great job overall. I specially liked Georgie's performance, but all of them did good. Because of that, the change from the descriptions on the books was not a bad thing. But it would have been fun if they had actually found kids who resembled the descriptions and illustrations.

Books then movies! I was introduced to Narnia through the BBC versions, but I read the books in 3rd grade. I love how the books just give you enough visual information to imagine the rest itself, yet the personalities of the characters are so strong. I also love the themes of the books, which don't come out quite as clear in the movies.

The best addition to LWW: the bombing of Britain (my knowledge of history is so bad I can't remember what it's called:eek:). It was only when I saw those war scenes that it really hit me how much the war would have affected the Pevensies. C.S. Lewis didn't need to develop that part when he was writing, because his readers lived it or their parents or older siblings lived it.

What I wished was better in the movies: A more dominant Aslan. "He's not a tame lion." Though the gentle part has come through well, the fierceness has not.

As for PC, pretty good movie, not the best adaptation. I've only seen it once, so I can't remember all the specifics of what I liked and didn't like. Granted, I want to see it more, but no one wanted to go with me to the theater a second time and I have no money to buy the DVD at the present.

In conclusion: Books rock. Movies can too, sometimes.

kilendil, the air raids were supposed to be part of the London Blitz, this one being the Battle of Britain.

MrBob

I like both the books and the movies, also when I can them the audio versions preferably unabridged. I have done this with Harry Potter and partially with LOTR, and may do this with the Narnia series.

Which would NOT include myself! I never even heard of the series until I went to see LWW with my 5th grade class because it would be one of the books that we would be reading that year. :p

oh my gosh me too!
but we only read like the first chapter of VDT in our reading book. And, even though i loved the movie in 5th, I didn't read the books till the ending of 7th, after watching Prince Caspian.....
And I'm a fan of both, books and movies

I'm mostly about the movies, but enjoy the books. I think this is because for me whether I like the movies or books best for anything depends mostly on which I saw/read first and I saw and fell in love with LWW before I really read the books, and by that time the books were a kind of below my reading level and so I didn't like them as much as I might have if I had read them younger. I think that's why the changes they made in PC didn't bother me at all. I love that movie! I went into the theater half expecting to be disapointed and came out shocked that I wasn't; it exceeded my expectations. (Although I do wish they could have found a way to put in the part when Lucy had to wake all the others up; I think that's so funny. But it didn't work with the plot as they had it so I don't mind.)

*Disclaimer: I am not saying that I don't like the books. I do. I just enjoy the movies more.*

Truman, I agree with just about everything you said.

oh my gosh me too!
but we only read like the first chapter of VDT in our reading book. And, even though i loved the movie in 5th, I didn't read the books till the ending of 7th, after watching Prince Caspian.....
And I'm a fan of both, books and movies
OMG Narniap4ever, I LOVE that collage of Aslan pics and your post! Those are so cool! Is the poem your own writing? (probably a stupid question on my part...)

Back