CSL x 17: contest #16 Honorary Haikus

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
With this weeks' installation of the C.S. Lewis memorial stone in the Poets' Corner of Westminster Abbey -- for one week only November 18-25 -- let us celebrate by posting Haikus to Honor his work and life.

In 3 lines, 17 syllables (5+7+5), capture a scene or image or character or feeling that you love in the Chronicles. Or simply write a tribute to Lewis in haiku... then post it here before 11/25...

Last edited:
Good, now we have "Narnia" AND "Lewis himself" haiku represented. I'll try priming the pump a little more:

Marshwiggle's foot burns
Briefly; but he will recall
The success thus gained.

I'm going to try my hand, though I never wrote a haiku before so here goes.

Once a king or queen,
always a king or queen by
Aslan's 'mazing grace.

I'm going to try my hand, though I never wrote a haiku before so here goes.

That goes for me too.

Hope is a promise
when I hold His golden words
"I call all times soon".

I wasn't sure so I tried writing two. :)

The land between worlds
is quiet and filled with pools
to gone and yet worlds.

Last edited:
Quite welcome sir! I hope to post more, though it has been ages since I've written haikus haha!

But I quite agree, BarbarianKing did as excellent job and of course you did as well Copperfox!

Here's another:

Made out of silver
A prison yet it shows truth
Prince Rilian's bane.

Edit: Great job to you as well Elsesta! I enjoyed yours a great deal. :)

Last edited:
Compassion: mice, moles,
and a rabbit braving wrath
to feed a King

So now
Magician's Nephew;
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe;
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Silver Chair;
and
The Last Battle
are represented in these haikus. Does anyone have haikus for A Horse and His Boy or Prince Caspian?

Breehy-hinny-hoo
has come to steal a youngling,
that two may ride hope.

Nobel talking mouse
with his paw upon his blade
fights for Aslan's sake.

There is a great joy
beyond waves where we see dawn
in the utter east.

Thanks to all of you who submitted honorary haikus. Judging may take a while because of the Thanksgiving holiday stateside (and the fact that I will be traveling Wednesday through Saturday.

The judges' results are finally getting posted! (Sorry for the delay but my husband was moving his office, and so I was working extra to try to sift through our shelves and belongings to jettison enough materials to make room for his library, etc. at home... on top of Advent and making gifts and hosting guests.)

Congratulations to Copperfox and Elsesta for being selected by the judges as the top Haiku creators in this C.S. Lewis x 17 contest. Here are your prize avvies in honor of your thought provoking and evocative entries:
118zorp.jpg

2rw1csz.jpg

Last edited:
Back