Beta Reading Society

Twilight

Do you like putting your editing skills to use? Are you interested in reading other peoples’ work here in TDL? Perhaps you should consider being a beta reader!

If you are interested in beta reading or having a beta reader, please read ALL of these rules so you can be savvy about what’s happening on both accounts.

*Important* Please do not chat in this thread. It is solely for questions regarding beta reading in general, requesting a beta, and posting your profile if you want to be a Beta.

Beta Reader’s Role

A beta reader is a person who edits others’ literary works. They check it for grammar, spelling, plot development, and give suggestions.

How to get started is to post in this thread using the form below. That is all the beta reader can do until someone (through a PM) requests their services.

When beta reading, remember to be courteous—the Golden Rule applies here, as everywhere! If you are going to be away, please let your writers know, or else they will be wondering!

Subscriber’s (aka writer’s) Role

Please PM the beta you’d like to have; that would be the optimum thing to do. If you really want to, you could post your request in this thread.

Be courteous, as the beta will be courteous to you. Remember: the beta is using his or her time to help you, so don’t be over-demanding!

Filler-Outer

If you would like to offer your services to other writers on TDL, fill this out in your post:

Name: (what you’re known as on TDL)
Writer limit: (the top amount of people you’d like to beta read for)
Critiquing style: (moderate or blunt)
Genre preferred: (romance, action, etc.—the types of stories you’d like to beta read)
Promptness of edit: (how long it would typically take to send the writer back the edited copy)
Specifications: (beta reading history, writing history, etc.)
Strengths: (areas you excel at in the literary world)
Weaknesses: (be honest!)
Submission details: (how you’d prefer it be sent from the writer to you—PM, e-mail in a Microsoft Word attachment, etc.)
Current subscribers to service: (the usernames of the people you’re beta reading for)

Do not post again and again when your post needs updating; simply update your post. This way, there will be less confusion and each beta will have one post in this thread.

Wondering about how the whole beta reading routine works? Click here for the process.

Questions?
PM me or post them in this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Name: I prefer Twi or Twilight. :)
Writer limit: Three for now.
Critiquing style: Moderate
Genre preferred: I’m open to beta read anything
Promptness of edit: It depends on what time of the week and how long the submission is, but I should be able to reply within 48 hours
Specifications: I have been a beta on another site and enjoy it a lot! I love writing and have the top grade in English in my grade.
Strengths: I hope my writing skills are to your liking. I like doing things with romance stories. ^_^
Weaknesses: I’d have to say comedy. I like reading comedies as much as the next person, but when it comes to editing them or writing them, I’m pretty much dead meat.
Submission details: An e-mail attachment in Microsoft Word would be the best, but a PM would suffice.
Current subscribers to service: Elindil and NEllas of Dorthonion.

Last edited:
Name: Lost Dreamer, mAndy, LD--whatever works for you.

Writer limit: Two

Critiquing style: I'm best at a harsh line edit, where I critique the actual bulk that makes up your writing. However, I can also read a story for plot, or just to tell you what I think you're good at or what you need to work on.

Genre preferred: anything besides spoofs or fan-fics. My favorite genre's are speculative fiction, thriller, or sci-fi. I might accept a fan-fic, and then again, I might not.

Promptness of edit: Usually within a few days.

Specifications: I've been a beta for around five people so far. I'm a recently published writer, but don't assume that makes me an expert! If you're serious about writing and improving your craft--even if it hurts some--then i'm your gal.

Strengths: Modesty in mind, I have been told I do decent work writing and as far as I can tell, people have been satisfied with my editing. That aside, I plain, flat out enjoy editing. It's just fun.

Weaknesses: I can be blunt, especially if i'm working on a genre I don't like. As long as you specify what kind of critique you want I can work within those specifications...but like I said, I can be blunt.

Submission details: Anything goes for me. What I like best is if you post the actual story, and I can critique it right here on the forum. If that makes you uncomfortable, then email is my second choice.

Current subscribers to service: One. I'm reading Broken by jesusfreak.

If you'd like me as your beta-reader, just send me a quick PM. :)

mAndy

Last edited:
I'm not very good at that, but someone would like, tell me what needed to be improved, spelling errors, etc? I'm just making this clear; and I might try it.

Aravis of Archenland said:
I'm not very good at that, but someone would like, tell me what needed to be improved, spelling errors, etc? I'm just making this clear; and I might try it.

That would be the beta's job when you send them a copy of work that hasn't been posted yet. For everyone to see, I'll also outline the typical beta reading process. ;)

Elindil said:
Ohhhhh goody!!! Does someone want to edit one of my stories???

Well, the beta readers would! :p That's what we're here for!

Last edited:
Name: Aravis of Archenland (or just Aravis)

Writer Limit: no more than one at a time

Critiquing style: I find it easier to be blunt, but in a nice way

Promptness of edit: will vary

Specifications: I've written one story, (work in progress) and the only story I've done that's had success

Strengths: limited imagination, thinking outside this world, and coming up with some pretty nutsy stuff

Weaknesses: I can forget sometimes to read or even post my own stories, but not often. I can be too blunt, a faulty characteristic.

Submission details: PM's because e-mail is private, except for the ones in authority (mainly, the mods and admins.)

Current subscribers to service: none, since this will be my first time.

The Beta Reading Process

This is how it typically goes:

1. The writer requests a beta.
2. The beta accepts the writer as a 'subscriber'.
3. The writer sends some of their work to the beta (this could be a chapter that has not yet been posted for their story, a poem, etc.)--> The main point is for the beta to edit the work before it is actually posted.
4. The beta reads it, critiques it, and sends it back corrected.
5. The writer thanks the beta (ha ha, common courtesy) and puts up the edited post.

Oxford girl, did you read the instructions on the first post? if you want your own Beta Reader, you PM one of the people who have signed up, picking whicherver one you like best.

Lost Dreamer said:
Oh hey, you got this to be a sticky! I was gonna suggest that Twilight...good thinking.

:D Yeah, I requested it because it's more of a resource than anything, and then people would always be able to see it. :) Great minds think alike, lol!

Yoo1029 said:
I've got a question - can you be a Beta and also get your stories Beta read as well?

Noah

Sure thing!

I'm ready and waiting for a story; just no more than one at a time. So, I could like ask someone who's a Beta Reader to do one of my stories? Cool. I repeat a lot of questions. :p

Aravis of Archenland said:
I'm ready and waiting for a story; just no more than one at a time. So, I could like ask someone who's a Beta Reader to do one of my stories? Cool. I repeat a lot of questions. :p

I'm working on the plot of another story...which I am going to start work on soon...then perhaps you'll have a story to edit! :p
*Goes off and starts thinking of a plot* (always the hardest part.)

Back