The Narnian Pirates

Ahoy there mateys! Welcome aboard! You’ll be glad you clicked on this here thread.

I’m looking for some brave pirates ready and willing to sail the Narnian Seas. Who knows what wild and wondrous adventures may await the crew that sails the same waters the High King Peter once travelled many ages ago? Will ye do battle with the mighty naval forces of the Calormene Empire? Will ye come across any previously uncharted isles in the Great Eastern Ocean? Will ye explore the shores of the Wild Lands to the North? Do ye long to taste the sweet waters in the far reaches of the Utter East?...

Then there’s only one choice for ye matey… Climb aboard and join the Narnian Pirates!

My name is Machia. I’ve sailed on more ships than I can name, under many captains and with hundreds of fellow crew members – some good; some bad – all mateys at one time. Although at this time I am currently sailing in the bitter waters of Earth, I once made my home in the Narnian sea air. For many years I sailed as First Mate under the Great Captain Aravis. (Not the Aravis of Narnia lore- Captain “QA48” Aravis was a human like meself.) We were transported to Narnia once upon a sunrise, and we did our part to save the land of Narnia from many evils. (A tale for another time) And just as the sunrise eventually leads to a sunset, our journey in Narnia came to a close one grey day.

But Aslan is on the move again.

So the question remains, will ye sail with me, Captain Machia and my First Mate Fish as we set out on another grand adventure in the Land of Narnia?

Arrr… Or to put it another way... As me first pirate captain said it many years ago:

“Pirates? Anyone else a pirate? Come on, be a pirate.”

ooc: I’m double posting so new thread members don’t have a book to read in the very first post.

Ok, so here’s a brief explanation of how this thread works. Obviously we are going to be a crew of pirates who will come from earth and sail the Narnia seas. This is a new game, but in a way it’s also a rebooting of a Pirate game that was played on this forum 5 years ago. (You can find all those old threads in the Sea of Forgetfulness archives, but, haha, it’s a long and complicated read) “Fish” - fish_wwjd_frog and I were two of the leaders of the original game and we are happy to be here to help get a new era of the game started today. Since we’re “veteran pirates” we’ll be assuming the roles of Captain and First Mate, at least for a while until we get a good base of key players, at which time we will assign additional and/or reassign leadership positions. (Since Liz “Fish” and I are married in real life and we’re expecting our first child in a few months, there’s a chance we might eventually have to step into more part time roles… But I’m getting ahead of myself)

THE BASICS:

1. We are pirates. Arrr…
  2. We originally come from earth. (But you don’t necessarily HAVE to be human or completely human.)
  3. We were brought to Narnia through the Bermuda Triangle.
  4. We pirates can teleport. An unexpected side effect of going through the Bermuda Triangle. We can teleport short distances, generally not anywhere out of eyeshot. The longer distances you teleport, the more it drains your energy.
  5. Everyone has the ability of a “Disembodied Voice”. This allows people to talk to others in another location without having to have their character physically go to the other location. It’s a time saving measure really.
  6. IN THE PAST there have been more than one “group” in this RPG. We’ll have to decide later on if we want another group to RPG with us. Here are the ones that have been created in the past:
    • Pirates: Pirates lived on their ship.
    • Knights: They lived in a fortress by the sea.
    • Rangers: Lived in a forest camp.
    • Isengarders/Anvardians: Saruman invaded Narnia once upon a time.
    • Beasts
    And there is room for more groups to be created for the first time: Calormenians, Lonely Islanders, Rival Pirate ships, etc.
    So, if you don’t like pirates, there’s a possibility that you could be a Knight. Or a Ranger, or a Beast… or even a rival Pirate crew. If you would be interested in starting a rival group, please PM me (Machiathemarshwiggle) or fish_wwjd_frog and we’ll be happy to discuss possibilities with you.
  7. The game is run by more than one person. There’s no absolute “RP God” who makes every story decision. There are several leaders and they collaborate with each other to move the larger story along and make big decisions. Plus everyone in the game is welcome to add twists to the current story, or come up with a storyline of their own, regardless if they’re a “Leader” or not.
  8. Each person creates one character and they control that character’s fate. No one else can kill, injure or move that person’s character without their permission.
  9. Multiple characters haven’t been allowed, with only one exception. You can create a secondary character that supports the personal story arc of your main character. The secondary character must play a supporting role only. Or you can create “throwaway” characters anyone can use.
  10. We strive to make the game as realistic as possible, while still understanding that it’s a fantasy. Please don't make up outrageous powers for yourself or ridiculous storylines. If you’re character has amazing personal powers, make sure you give them weaknesses too.
  11. People are encouraged to write thoughtful and creative posts.
  12. Drama and love triangles have traditionally been avoided.

That’s all for now! If you’re interested in joining our crew please post below and then start thinking of your character. PM me or fish_wwjd_frog if you have any questions!

Last edited:
I'll have you know, ye softie buccaneer, that I be Dirty Beard, first mate of the Scarlet Fear, a ship captained and crewed by red head lassies, otherwise known as the Ginger Pirates. These days they spent most of their time playing "monkey see, monkey do" with the ships monkey and using the plank as a diving board, looking for mer-folk off the coast of Terebinthia. They says they're pretty sure most of the mer maids are red headed too. They just need to find one to prove their point. But me point here is that I will have to gather them lassies and our Cap'n as well and see how they can join this here thread. You'll be hearing from me, ye softie.

I'll have you know, ye softie buccaneer, that I be Dirty Beard, first mate of the Scarlet Fear, a ship captained and crewed by red head lassies, otherwise known as the Ginger Pirates. These days they spent most of their time playing "monkey see, monkey do" with the ships monkey and using the plank as a diving board, looking for mer-folk off the coast of Terebinthia. They says they're pretty sure most of the mer maids are red headed too. They just need to find one to prove their point. But me point here is that I will have to gather them lassies and our Cap'n as well and see how they can join this here thread. You'll be hearing from me, ye softie.

(Besides you, BK, I may be the only member of that crew who is still an active member of TDL. That's just a bit weird.)

"Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?"

*peers into thread curiously* Arr, if it be pleasin to the powers that be, I'll be joinin' this ere thread, as a pirate o' some sort.

(When should I post a character profile?)

"Arrr, I see that monkey be the vermin o' choice on pirate ships... Fer many years we had our own monkey - we named him Jack o' course... Not me choice, but t'was Cap'n's orders... Meself, I'm rather attached to my cat Pierre... He's here on me shoulder. Ye can't see 'im because he's invisible. Been that way ever since we the first time we came through the Bermuda Triangle.

An' I look forward to hearin' from ye, ye scurvy land lubber... But 'till then..." Machia whistles and they hear the sound of invisible paws padding on the deck, "... Pierre will be keepin' an eye on ye."

(Besides you, BK, I may be the only member of that crew who is still an active member of TDL. That's just a bit weird.)

"Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?"

*peers into thread curiously* Arr, if it be pleasin to the powers that be, I'll be joinin' this ere thread, as a pirate o' some sort.

(When should I post a character profile?)

"Arrr, ahoy thar, matey... Welcome aboard... er... well I don't be knowin' what this here ship be named yet. I guess we'll be decidin' that later. Anyhow, ye've got me permission to come aboard. An' your welcome ter say 'Yo ho ho' if ye want; no one's stoppin' you. We might laugh long and hard at ye, but yer welcome to say it..." Machia laughs and slaps the new pirate on the back,
"I'm just pullin' yer leg! Many a good buccaneer has let forth a 'Yo Ho Ho' in the midst o' battle or after a cup o' grog... 'till me old chief gunner the Twilight Terror threw all of it overboard that is. Oh well, I always preferred apples meself. Always keep a stash o' them in my pocket, just in case the mood strikes me.

Arrr.... Anyways, enough 'bout me. Ye asked 'bout postin' a character profile? Gar, we might get to that in a bit... I always hated paper work meself. I think sometimes the best way to get to know someone is through their own words. So pull yerself up a barrel o' gunpowder ter sit on, grab a cup o' apple cider and tell me an' me mateys all about yerself an' yer story. We promise not ter fall asleep. We pirates are known fer bein' good listeners. 'specially Headless Bill...."

Machia leaned up against the ship's railing, pulled his hat down low over his eyes and stared expectantly at the new pirate....

ooc: I thought we'd try something a little different for character introductions. I think sometimes you can get a better grasp of a character if you can tell and hear their story in their own words.... So if you'd like to join our thread, have your character step onto the deck, introduce yourself and tell us your story. Also feel free to respond to or ask questions about other people's stories.... Think of it as a kind of get-to-know-you type thing. :) (And if in the unlikely even that there's something potentially problematic with someone's character, we can figure it out what might need to be changed over PM. But I don't foresee that being a problem. :D) Oh, and if you have some aspect to your character's back-story that you don't want all the other characters to know about right away, you don't have to spill it all right now. ;) But if you feel like sending me a quick note letting me know about it sometime before you reveal the character's secret, that'd be great....

Last edited:
"ARRR!!!" A raucous cry, followed by the report of a large cannon blast broke the calm of the sea where the ship bobbed gently up and down. The crew rushed to the sides of the ship to find a strange sight, a large covey of lifeboats all connected with strong chains, hauling 50 cannons and a ridiculous amount of other artillery. Leading the charge in amount of weaponry was the gunner in the first boat, a tall female pirate, dressed in dark green pants, red vest and white shirt, with her dark brown hair braided into many braids and tied with a red bandanna. She smiled as she reloaded her cannon for another welcoming shot.

"And how have ye all been farin' without me? Probably destroyed a few ships what with yer stupid rum soaked parties and all. Let me tell ye, it was dead boring without ye all. And let me tell ye, me father's land is nice and all, but life without cannons... and guns... and pistols... and gunpower... and explosions... Well it just aint fer me. Ye know what is fer me?" Her compliment of boats finally came alongside the ship and Twilight grabbed a hanging line and hoisted herself and her favorite rifle aboard the ship, enveloping Machia in a bone crunching hug. "A pirate's life is fer me."

OOC: So who has info on just how many cannons we can stick on our boat? From what I saw 50 looked like a good guess. :D

I be Bad Bones, as evil a pirate as ever sailed the seven seas!

(More details will be forthcoming in due course. The name was inspired by a picture of a pirate in a fish and chip restaurant in Scarborough, called "Winking Willy's". The actual wording in the original was "Bad to the Bone").

"Fun?!! Fun?!!! Do ye think that we're giggling as we shoots undead pirates and then digs em up from the depths of the sea so as to shoots them again? Do ye think we're laughin as we sneaks up on a wizard and blows up his tower with way too much gunpowder? Does a smile come across our face when the Knights finds that all of their armor smells like all the grog that I made the pirates get rid of?

Yes. Yes it does. Welcome aboard!"

I be Bad Bones, as evil a pirate as ever sailed the seven seas!

"Good to meet ye Bad Bones.... Can I call ye Bones? Arrr, I gotta admit that t'would be a pretty awesome nickname... Here." Machia pulled a cutlass from his belt and tossed it over to Bad Bones... "Gar, sharpen up that thar blade. It's yours now, an' I know one day yer gonna need it. We'll work on gettin' ye the rest of yer gear later."

Machia turned to his long lost braided ship mate, "Arrr, by Sean's scaly green wings, if 'tisn't the Twilight Terror! It's been too long matey." Machia sensed another bone crushing hug coming and backed off slightly, holding his bruised ribs, "But Fish an' I be glad ter see ye back on the deck o' a ship with us again. Gar, one o' these days over a mug o' hot apple cider ye'll have to tell yer old shipmates all 'bout the adventures ye've had since we went our own ways.... But in the meantime, welcome aboard! Since I've kinda took up the mantle o' captain of this here piece o' driftwood, I suppose yer not opposed to workin' down in the soot with cannons again, are ye?." He turned to address the ring of pirates, "I'll have ye know that Twilight here is the finest Master Gunner ye'll ever have the privilege of comin' across... Or the misfortune of comin' across if yer on the wrong end of the cannon fire. Arrr, if yer in the mood fer talkin' Twilight, why don't ye tell the crew here a bit about yerself...."

Fish heard her old mate Twilight's dulcet tones and shimmied up the port side of the ship, where she had been checking (for the fifth time) that the ship was, in fact, sea-ready.

"Twilight, me heartie!" She shouted, grabbing and hugging her friend from the back to avoid the chief gunner's notoriously painful hugs. "It be good to see ye again! Arr... and I see we have a few new mates aboard, too." She said, nodding and smiling at Bones.

"Welcome, mate! I be Fish, head carpenter and newly promoted first mate aboard this ship. We be lookin' forward to sailing the Narnian seas with ye, and maybe even gettin' into a few ole' fashioned piratey scrapes - ye know, duels 'n battles 'n all that. But I warn ye: if ye get any tom-fool ideas in yer head that end up putting a hole in my ship, it's yer skull I'll be usin' to patch it." Fish did her best to make her threat sound serious, though the twinkle in her eye may have betrayed her.

'Ello, Mateys!

I be Enola, pirate in training. I be wantin' to sail with you all, if ye'll have me. But if not, well, we'll just have to see, now won't we. ;)
I be willing to join to travel on the high seas and seek out thar new adventures! It would be fun and challenging, arrrg....

'Ello, Mateys!

I be Enola, pirate in training. I be wantin' to sail with you all, if ye'll have me. But if not, well, we'll just have to see, now won't we. ;)
I be willing to join to travel on the high seas and seek out thar new adventures! It would be fun and challenging, arrrg....

"ARRR, well I'll say it'll be challengin', but I be hopin you wont be challengin our Capn' here or the First Mate, not to mention me, or ye'll find yerself floatin home.

Anyway, about me. Well, First thing ye oughta know: The Twilight Terror never sleeps. Somethin about me Ma bein a dryad and me Pa bein a Halfling mixed things up so's I don't ever sleep. It's real helpful when we needs to keep watch over the ship, not so helpful when our allied Knights are givin' a long speech, har, har, har....

Second thing ye oughta know: I been doin this Gunner thing since before ye first tasted pistol smoke. I don't look me age, and perhaps I aint been around as long as ye have, but lets just say me childhood was... interestin'. It all worked out when I found me callin as a Master Gunner with these Scalliwags, and I run a tight ship, let me tell ya. No grog or messin around when we run the cannons.

Third: I don't cotton on to much magic after a couple bad happenings that's happened with our crew. So if yer a wizard or dragon... I may not be yer best friend, savvy? But I'll give ya a fair shake if ye doesn't try to hoodwink me.

Lastly: No, I wont tell ye how many weapons I has on me. Lets just say they'd outfit the crew of a smaller vessel, but I wont tell ye how small. Any more questions? Good. Now all New Recruits, report to me! I'll have ye swabbin the deck and outfitted with weapons before ye can say Tortuga!"

Last edited:
Arrr, welcome Enola! Yer more than welcome to join our crew o' swashbucklers...
I have a feelin' yer goin' to do well aboard this ship... Me'thinks ye have sea faring blood in ye... :D Am I right? Tell us all 'bout yerself...

Twilight, could I interest ye in a mug o' apple cider? Fish says it's fairly fresh... fresher than the sparkling grape juice anyways... How have ye been since we last parted ways? It's been almost a year since I've seen any of the old crew...

Me name is Moirin Ni Malley, come from a long line of pirates--at least, if ye ask the English. Me ancestress was Grainne Ni Mhaille, also known as Grace O'Malley, who the English said was a pirate queen when she used her ships and sailing men to keep her shores free of their filthy boots. Moirin, though--that bit comes from me parents. Moirin, ye see, was a sea woman who became human after bein' baptized by the good abbot Comgall. They thought it was fittin', what with the sea bein' in my blood.

At any rate, I'm lookin' for a good pirate ship to board. And of course, I've got me Irish flag in tow.

Arrr, welcome Enola! Yer more than welcome to join our crew o' swashbucklers...
I have a feelin' yer goin' to do well aboard this ship... Me'thinks ye have sea faring blood in ye... :D Am I right? Tell us all 'bout yerself...

Aye, I am related to ye, and to twilight, so me thinks I might do well on this ship. ;)
Well, I'm a young one, but don't be fooled because I've had tons of experience on the high seas cause I travel constantly. I've been to far off lands and planets and have seen many things, and hope to see more when I join this crew.
I can swordfight alright and am an expert with thar cannons.
I'se hope to be able to bring me black cat aboard. Her name be Calypso and remembers, they say it's good luck to bring a black cat aboard a ship! :D

*a small teenage girl peers curiously into the group, her short, dark brown hair mostly covered with a purple bandanna, her glittering eyes shifting as she takes in the other members of the crew*

I be Alonso. Yes I'm a girl, don't be askin' about me name! I've been on plenty o' adventures on land, so I figured twas time for me to 'ave some on sea. I'm not fully human either, in fact I be only a fourth human, that I knows of. But that'll not be effecting my performance on this ere ship, so don't be worryin' too much bout me roots.

Aye? Ye think it makes no difference whether ye're three-fourths a merrow or three-fourths a dullahan? Och, ye'd make me fear ye but for the purple bandana. I've never known a dullahan yet that wore a purple bandana.

"Arrrrrr!" Twilight descended from the yardarm, carrying a bottle of root beer in the crook of one arm and a smoking pistol in her free hand. "It be a great day me hearties! Yes, today the whole world, and the other worlds be tryin to sound like us! Har, har, har! It always be good fer a laugh, it makes me glad to be a pirate! I think I feel a song comin on...

We're gentlemen of fotune and that's what we're proud to be
And when your a professional pirate
You'll be honest brave and free
The soul of decency
You'll be loyal and fair and on the square
And most importantly
All: When you're a professional pirate
You're always in the best of company!

She discharged her pistol again and raised her bottle to the sky.

"Root Beer fer everyone! Happy Talk like Pirate day me mateys!"

Talk Like a Pirate Day? Well, then, here goes:

Erin go bragh!

Irish pirates, ye understand....

Back