Forum Restructuring

Specter

Meeting the World
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
Royal Guard
After some help from a few folks, and some suggestions, the forums are undergoing some restructuring.

Instead of the Wood Between the Worlds, the International Forum and Tea with Mr. Tumnus all being used for general threads, all of that will happen in the new "The Lamp-post" forum at Lantern Waste.

Tea with Mr. Tumnus is reserved for meeting the new members and introduction style threads alone.

Also, the Stone Table needs a big of restructuring, and we're thinking like this:

- CHRISTIANITY AND NARNIA – This forum should only contain threads that are about the Christian aspects of Narnia and C.S. Lewis only, and specifically Christian threads should not be in the Books section. Obviously there is bound to be Christian influence come into the book discussion but I have always thought that that was going off-topic, certainly that’s how it used to be.
- SOCRATIC CLUB – here’s where all the general Christian/religious/spiritual/philosophical/political threads go. AND NOWHERE ELSE!!!
- PRAYER REQUESTS – so as the above comment said – this should not be for discussions – just PRAYER REQUESTS!

- LAND OF DUFFERS - there needs to be change here. There seems to be an attitude that ‘to duffer’ means to spam random and pointless comments or just chat. If you wanna do that - there's an app for that! It's called FlashChat and it can be found under "quick links" at the top. If you go there, and find you're the only one there, keep it open in another window, and someone else is bound to show up. If you notice others are on at the same time that you are, and you find you're responding to each other in a thread, feel free to move the conversation to the chat!

Duffers is for forum games, and the typical Duffer threads that was randomness but was still on topic and not spamming. It was meant to have a good time. If you remember the duffers in the book, they were random, but they were always on topic and witty with regard to the topic.

There are many other forum changes to come but these are some of the first.

You realize, don't you, that if there are fewer sections for threads to belong to, then each thread will be more crowded by others, and will be _more_ susceptible to dropping down the queue out of sight if not repeatedly added to at _very_ short intervals. This could yank the rug out from under story writers who don't have Evening Star's facility for getting a complete story up all at once.

Copperfox: This is an example of my facility for getting a complete post up all at once. :D

Edmund: You'd better watch out! High King Paul is about to give a drop of blood to the Lantern Post to resurrect it from the dead! :eek: Yes, I know, he had it sorted... :rolleyes:

I certainly agree there are a huge lot of useless topics in the Land of Duffers. I do understand people like to go off topic sometimes but there is way too much spam. And sometimes when you wanna read a topic you have to go through 20 pages of spam first before you read a post about the actual topic. This not only happens in the LoD but also on other topics. "Hello! I ate something". "Yeah, Pizza again? And this continues like 20 pages. It's annoying and irritating. So for me these changes are very welcome

I think this is a good idea. In a down period, the goal should be to refocus on the core target audience, and minimize the amount of places in order for communication to encourage more participation.

Yeah, it'll make things more crowded.. but it'll also keep people in the same spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with these ideas. They would make the forums much less confusing.

And the Duffer section is getting awfully non-Dufferish... :( so I would be overjoyed if its original intent would be taken into consideration by members.

pffh, I've been here for years and still has no clue what the different sections are for :p ... I'm a "New Posts" section guy ;)

ok now i'm kind of confused and some thoughts

ok now i'm a litle confused on some things here, do you mean the duffers thread is going to be more for R_P games and stuff like that or are you considering maybe haveing a general forum where the members if they don't get off topic just talk about anything they want as long as there is no spam or anything like that, also i think the lampost is doing very well on here but have you considered maybe changeing the scotric club to philospophy/Christianty or something like that i agree that all religions includeing Christianity should be discussed and talked about

I don't really get it. I mean, i get most of it, i just don't understand the Duffer parts.

I mean, honestly i don't look often into Dufferland, except for the threads i'm subscribed to, which are mostly 'old-duffer-threads' like 'cheese whiz', 'egggsssss', 'random thread', 'insane asylum' or 'to arms, fellow duffers'. Does this mean that all those would get deleted? And only the games are allowed still? I mean, i love the games, like Last Post Game, World Domination and all that. But i love those threads too. They are actually like game threads too, just make sure you give everyone the biggest headache. You mods know i always respect your decisions, but i really wonder if those threads are going down now? :eek: (they are my favorite, and i'm not a spam-person at all :eek: )

I'm certainly not the end all decision maker but...

1) The Socratic Club has always been an opportunity to talk philosophy and other religions. As long as everyone remains courteous. That's the point of it. But the Christianity forum is supposed to be about only Christianity (theology, questions, doctrine, etc). The reason for that is pretty simple, CS Lewis was a Christian and Narnia is full of Christian themes and its a worthwhile discussion.

2) Again, this is just me, but the threads you talk about Lieke are real Duffer threads! :D We've got an RP section that works great. The thing is, lets take an old thread as an example: Cheese Whiz. it started out as a discussion on cheese. Random yes, but everything still somehow came back to cheese. (aka duffering with a point). Now, that was the original thread. Now, it has nothing to do with it.
Basically, duffering was about being random, joking, making no sense to anyone else. Now though, a lot of the threads read like a chatroom. That's the problem with the Duffers. Its not really duffering anymore.

I think the restructure would be really helpful in the long run.

I know people seem confused about threads moving into different forums and such but the whole purpose is so that you can actually tell what's supposed to be where. That way, you won't have to worry about where to post Doffen because there'll be a clear enough distinction!

I think the 'games' mentioned in Duffers is referring to things such as 'The person above me' or 'Corrupt a Wish' etc. ie. the typical games you'd find on a forum.

In answer to your question Copperfox. I'd imagine the thread might be moved to Socratic Club. As Paul said in his post, Christinaity and Narnia will be about Christian discussion arising from the books themselves. Other religious discussions or threads would be more appropriate in Socratic.

I really think this will help the site in terms of navigation, clutter and will make life easier for all members - mods included!

I think this will really help. Over time, certain sections have blended into each other, so a good old tidy up will really benefit everyone.

go team!

In my mind the only thing wrong with TDL is that I can't read a single thread in the Socratics club (and apparently not here either) with out feeling mad and misunderstood but can't say anything for fear of starting a major argument.

But that's probably why I'm not a mod.

Don't worry SK. In my first year or so here I was involved in a lot of those sorts of threads and got quite heated with other people! I just decided after a while it's better for me not to go near those threads so I literally keep out of the section!!

Hopefully, with the restructure, it will section off those difficult to control threads into socratic alone, and so make it much easier for mods and members to manage the discussions well.

Back